Why become a member? ×

Does amp/cab aesthetics matter to you?

Twincam

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1460561245' post='3026837']
We are visually oriented creatures, so looks are paramount, with anything and everything. Years ago when I was in the ski business Nordica introduced a line of ski boots that fit great, but were butt ugly, so even the very few who were convinced to try them on didn't buy them. The following year the exact same boots were reintroduced with a different name, and appealing graphics. It became the #1 best seller, not just within the Nordica line, but of every line.
[/quote] did the career go ski boots - alpine horns - other horns - horn loaded speaker cabs ?

I have an aversion to blue LEDs - they make me think of the trim on boy racer cars or the decor of a particular sort of cheesy nightclub. It's a shame, as there are some nice bits of kit blighted by them, like the Genz Streamliner.
I suppose I am at least a little picky, as when I did my DIY cabs, I spent ages choosing the right sparkly grillcloth and piping and made sure that everything behind the grille was black, no pesky silver screws peeping out!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Very important to me too. We do a lot of weddings and corporate gigs. We dress smart on stage, so having a cab with a rusty grill and ripped/chipped tolex would look out of place. As much as I actually like them, roadworn basses are a no go too. I much prefer classic styling too, rather than something covered in flashing LEDs.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1460669297' post='3027812']
Very important to me too. We do a lot of weddings and corporate gigs. We dress smart on stage, so having a cab with a rusty grill and ripped/chipped tolex would look out of place. As much as I actually like them, roadworn basses are a no go too. I much prefer classic styling too, rather than something covered in flashing LEDs.
[/quote]

Ha ha. That reminded me of a corporate gig we did many years ago. The drummer owned the PA and decided the cabs were looking scruffy - so gave them a coat of matt black from rattle cans in the car park about an hour before we played. Yes, they stank to high heaven! :D

Back when I was poor I never bothered about the luxury of aesthetically pleasing gear. I just wanted stuff that works.
Now that I am bored and old I started caring a bit more, but I chose my gear on weight aspects rather then looks.
I did spend the extra few pennies on a silver grille cloth for my Barefaced cab as I think the black metal grille looks butt ugly.

Edited by DiMarco

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1460705826' post='3027936']
I did spend the extra few pennies on a silver grille cloth for my Barefaced cab as I think the black metal grille looks butt ugly.
[/quote]

So did I ;)

Markbass stuff sounds good, but I couldn't live with the look of those heads.

I once test-drove a used Merc - perfect match for what I wanted, FMBSH, drove like a dream - but the dashboard was 50/50 caramel and tan. I knew I couldn't live with that either!

Shallow? Moi?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1460706290' post='3027946']

So did I ;)

I once test-drove a used Merc - perfect match for what I wanted, FMBSH, drove like a dream - but the dashboard was 50/50 caramel and tan. I knew I couldn't live with that either!

Shallow? Moi?
[/quote]

Same! Was looking at an Alfa Romeo 159 JTD, sleek black, beautiful condition and key fob operation - very sexy! That was until I saw the interior - yeeuch! Light tan leather, completely ruined it for me!

I'll join you in the shallow pit. :(

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1460639783' post='3027488']

Bloody hell, I had 3 out of 3 until I got a bigger RJ 15" vinyl covered cab to go with my TTE500 head. Does it count If I have a yellow lead as well.....?
[/quote]

Haha, I was wondering whether anyone had the hat trick.
To be fair, the TTE is by far the best looking MB head, although personally I'd remove the logo.
Carpet is OK, it only becomes 'ratfur' if it is bobbly, covered in beer stains, crumbs and the odd pube.

Thing is with Mark bass its gonna look like trace Elliot Gear to everyone in a few years. Its looks - as distinctive as they are - will guarantee its future life in a thousand garages. Once it isn't trendy any more to have an amp that looks like Wasp synth from the 70's they'll be history.

To answer the OP: Yes. But not as much as those of the instrument(s) I play.

TBH at the average venue under the average venue "lighting" conditions the majority of amps and speakers will be reduced to a series of anonymous black boxes with the odd LED stacked at the back of the stage. So long as there's no obvious damage/tattiness to them and no large ugly brand logos on display. I don't really mind what they look like.

For someone who is so particular about how their instruments look I'll take functionality, ergonomics and sound over looks when it comes to amplification.

I have at various times played with the idea of having my rig a fancy colour rather than the anonymous black, but it only really works if the rest of the band follow suit and IME trying to persuade guitarists to recover or paint their amps in something bright is a complete non-starter.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1460706290' post='3027946']
So did I ;)

Shallow? Moi?
[/quote]

I thought that you were supposed to face [i]away[/i] from your amplifier most of the time?

:P

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1460713567' post='3028041']
Haha, I was wondering whether anyone had the hat trick.
[/quote]

Over here "bug eye grills" would probably trump MB Yellow in the Unholy Trinity. Neither they or the overhanging rack case look bother me in the slightest though, personally.

Edited by Passinwind

Call me shallow but it would have an effect on me too. Cool aesthetics wouldn't make me buy an amp, however if I was considering two similarly specced amps that fitted my various sound, weight etc needs then the one that looked like a dogs breakfast would certainly get some serious down marks.

I'm not so sure about the comments that distinctive amps are destined for the garage once fashions change. My main amps over the last 25 years have been a TE combo (now sadly deceased) and a bumble bee MB rig. I'd happily play either irrespective of what brand is flavour of the month for bassists. We often talk about how only a tiny proportion of our audiences can discern the sound nuances we bassists obsess over. Even fewer have the first clue or care about what amp brands and styles are flavour of the month.

For my money it is ultimately the sound, but if it looks good then that is a bonus. I have recently bought a Hartke Hydrive 115 cab and the aluminium speaker is on show through the silver speaker grille and it looks so classy. My bass playing buddy recently upgraded his whole backline with 4 Hartke 4x10 cabs with a couple of Ampeg 1000w amps sat on top in their flightcases. That rig looks immense and it sounds like thunder.