Why become a member? ×

Do you notice a lot of difference in your string gauge and tone.?

bubinga5

Not entirely sure about 'deeper' tone, but I'd certainly say string choice is crucial and can make much more of a difference to your sound than body wood, neck density, electrics, hardware, amp/cab etc. etc. I think it's often ignored and definitely underrated. :)

Yes, string gauge, type, scale length and materials all make a noticeable difference to tone, unless of course you favour backline that offers the tonal subtleties of a potato. Mashed. With a blanket over it.

In answer to the question though, I favour a longer scale, but not a light gauge string with a tension that makes pick work feel sharp and positive, but I still want to be able to bend the strings a full tone without a trip to hospital after :) It's a balancing act between a full tone, clarity and being able to manipulate the strings.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1460202679' post='3023549']
...the general listener is likely to notice bugger-all difference.
[/quote]

And is why most bass players could probably get away with a Harley Benton P Bass and a Rumble combo... but what would BassChat forum be without GAS?? I predict it would be a darker, meaner place with far fewer pictures of really nice gear. ;)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1460202297' post='3023534']
Gauge, string and action all can produce big changes...

Play around with them all...
[/quote]

Couldnt agree more than with these points, action and string height affect tone, in my op, far greater than many realise... Low action is great for ease but man alive you loose some poke.

Edited by Wonky2

Oh yes, +1 what is already posted that gauge, wind and material seriously affect tone.

I generally use heavy strings, 120 or 110 through 60 or 55 NPS roundwound. It works for me on P and J basses, but makes for a physical play. The sound has gravity over lighter strings, richer/deeper, and still has mid character.

Well worth finding what works for your bass and for you IMO, and get your action set to suit.

LD

I'm now using 35-95 gauge Elites after years of 45-105 and I wish I'd made the switch sooner. I find the lower tension much more comfortable and more responsive to playing dynamics. I have to say, i haven't noticed the sound being any thinner either.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460205006' post='3023591']

Lose some poke. I'm agreeing with you.
[/quote]

Ahhh Apologies, often text alone often lacks context, im not even sure i was questioning you, i just didnt get it ! Haha

You DO that !!!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1460206352' post='3023619']
I think I notice the playability of say a smaller gauge to that of the heavier gauges.
[/quote]
[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1460207092' post='3023630']
I'm now using 35-95 gauge Elites after years of 45-105 and I wish I'd made the switch sooner. I find the lower tension much more comfortable and more responsive to playing dynamics. I have to say, i haven't noticed the sound being any thinner either.
[/quote]

I agree totally...from a feel POV you can't beat a lighter string. Any loss of tone can be dealt with by a slight twist on a knob or slider...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1460286444' post='3024322']
I agree totally...from a feel POV you can't beat a lighter string. Any loss of tone can be dealt with by a slight twist on a knob or slider...
[/quote]
But by the same token... raising the action with add more that a bigger gauge, IMO.

And I say that as someone who has always used lighter strings and a very low action and the main benefit of that
was that you saved your hands a beating over the years...

I've used 45-105 for years. A good balance between "heft" and compliance imho. I used EBs for ages but have recently switched to Prosteels - very similar tbh

Edit: and keep the action mid-low so I can give them some welly :)

Edited by Norris

In standard tuning I generally use 105-45. D standard and below it is 120-50.

I used to be a 'light strings and low action' player, but I generally don't play much slap, double thumbing techniques these days, so I generally don't mind a more rigid heavy gauge stringwith a higher action , so long as there is enough flexibility for bending and the action is low enough to allow for some fast runs and tapping.

I am amazed that no-one has mentioned piano wound strings for bass. They used to be popular in the eighties.

Only the core wire passes over the saddle with these because the winding starts just a few mm the p'up side of the bridge. The string is just the same in tension. The difference in tone coming from the effectively super-light gauge at the bridge allowing for additional harmonics to come forward. More "ping" for your pluck, as I recall. The gauges are nominally the same for the most part of the string and they feel no different to play but they make funk and disco lines pop just a little more.

Not sure how easy they are to get now. Mine were DBEs