Why become a member? ×

Fiddle player steaming drunk at gig

cameltoe

So, we've had a quiet start to the year for various reasons. Saturday was our first 'big' gig of the year at the Falmouth Folk festival. We've played here before and gone down a storm, and do a few local festival gigs for this promoter.

We were the second to last band on at 8:30, but on arriving it was obvious our fiddle player was drunk. Really drunk. We took to the stage and it was an absolute mess. He had managed to sneak in a hip flask of whiskey and had brought a few cans along with him which he was sipping away on stage. He barely played a note right and nearly fell over a couple of times.

We had to cut the set short and get out of there. There were several songs we just couldn't do as he has to lead on them, so we just cut them out. It really was one of those moments where you hope the ground opens up and swallows you.

We've had different issues with this guy in the past, he's tried to convince the rest of the band to sack various members, me included, after I'd just had my first child (I wasn't committing to the band). This year he's been wreaking havoc by messing about with our website and social media by not giving anyone else any control over what is published, (the images he uses are dreadful), firing various angry emails across to us all for whatever reason, cancelling rehearsals left right and centre, including not turning up on a couple of occasions and not letting us know.

In addition, he's always the first to sling sh** around if something hasn't gone his way, acting as if we are not professional enough.

The rest of the band are not keen to sack him as we have a gig booked in Italy in August that they really want to play. In addition, it's hard to find a committed, competent fiddle player in Cornwall, and we'd have to start all over again. And he is a really good player.

Any words of advice from the BC community? How do we address this one?

Oh dear. It sounds like the chap has a problem, and your band has one too.

I think you need to have a serious talk with your bandmates about him. Gigs or no, if you turn up to the big gig and he's a mess then you'll likely not get booked again, so keeping him for the gig in Italy may turn round to bite you in the long run.

If the band decides to soldier on then it's about how you feel about playing with him.

He does need to be told that his drinking isn't right tho - he needs to be urged to get some help about it.

Edited by ahpook

I had an unfortunate incident with a lead guitarist who was blind drunk before what turned out to be the band's farewell gig. I still have the recording and frankly its embarrassing. At least he had the good sense to call it a day. Sounds like your fiddle player needs to recogise his shortcomings.

We had a few issues in my last band and my experience is that they do not go away, even though there might be temporary "reforms". I left the band. You really have to decide what your personal standards are and who you want to work with. The trouble is we bass players so often put the music first and put up with the cr*p. I have done it myself.

if he's the bloke with his own wiki page, then he sounds like a right arrogant tw*t, get shot and move on, plenty of fiddle players in cornwall, along with mandolinn and bodhran, cant move for em! Seriously, drinking before a gig is a big no no, especially if you're getting paid.

Haven't read the replies yet, but I think you should walk. The guy sounds like an aggressive drunk/alcoholic . If the band are sticking with him , they aren't helping you much .
You need to look after yourself .

Alcoholics ? Fair enough , they sometimes can't be helped an need sympathy . This guy seems to be a complete twit .

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1459256572' post='3014804']
Haven't read the replies yet, but I think you should walk.
[/quote]

It's the fiddle player who should be walking. I wouldn't ask him to leave, I'd grind him into a smooth paste and flush him down the toilet. Is that a bit harsh? Probably. :D Anyway, he's [i]got [/i]to go - being in a band should be fun and it doesn't matter how good a player someone is on a good day, it's how good they are on a bad day that counts, and he very obviously is failing that test. So he should go. Easy for me to say as I don't have to find another fiddle player, but you won't be a happy band until he's gone. It's not just the drunken playing, there's all the other stuff as well. He'll keep on doing what he does, he's a deluded alcoholic. Get rid.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1459255512' post='3014779']
if he's the bloke with his own wiki page, then he sounds like a right arrogant tw*t, get shot and move on, plenty of fiddle players in cornwall, along with mandolinn and bodhran, cant move for em! Seriously, drinking before a gig is a big no no, especially if you're getting paid.
[/quote]

That's him. Honestly, it has been leading up this anyway, as he has been insufferable this year. He has caused major fall-outs in the band by being aggressive and not listening to us. He's given us a really hard time, then done things like not be available for a rehearsal for a whole month. Saturday was the icing on the cake.

An update though, the drummer has just sent him an email asking why we haven't had an apology from him yet. There was a swear word in there too. Let's see how this unfolds!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1459257482' post='3014814']
An update though, the drummer has just sent him an email asking why we haven't had an apology from him yet. There was a swear word in there too. Let's see how this unfolds!
[/quote]

A swear word?? :o ...Please keep us updated, Holby City is really boring at the moment. :D Seriously though, good luck.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1459253143' post='3014740']
We've had different issues with this guy in the past, he's tried to convince the rest of the band to sack various members, me included, after I'd just had my first child (I wasn't committing to the band). This year he's been wreaking havoc by messing about with our website and social media by not giving anyone else any control over what is published, (the images he uses are dreadful), firing various angry emails across to us all for whatever reason, cancelling rehearsals left right and centre, including not turning up on a couple of occasions and not letting us know.

In addition, he's always the first to sling sh** around if something hasn't gone his way, acting as if we are not professional enough.

[/quote]

To me it's the above, not the drinking, that's the bigger problem. He has evident ego/control/narcissism issues, of which thinking he can both criticise others for lack of professionalism whilst lacking that very professionalism himself is only one of no doubt many symptoms.

This weekend's drinking is to be honest a good opportunity to get rid of an ongoing problem that was probably going to get worse.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1459257591' post='3014817']
To me it's the above, not the drinking, that's the bigger problem. He has evident ego/control/narcissism issues, of which thinking he can both criticise others for lack of professionalism whilst lacking that very professionalism himself is only one of no doubt many symptoms.
[/quote]

Booze does make it easier for one to be a total dick though, I can tell you that from experience. :blush:

...and for those of you who don't play the type of music in question, the egos of even average fiddle players can make those of rock singers, prog keyboardists and blues guitarists pale into complete insignificance :)

IMO of course.....

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459257748' post='3014819']
Booze does make it easier for one to be a total dick though, I can tell you that from experience. :blush:
[/quote]

Ha ha, yes, our old singer, an intelligent, articulate and sensitive singer songwriter, was a true gent, never drank on stage, and always treated the audience and the band with real respect. Then one night had two pints before quite a big gig that was going out live on radio, started using the F word, and then made some rather inopportune comments, especially given the demographic of the audience in question. And all on live radio!

I just have to mention the name of the festival and he goes bright red and starts to sweat :)