Why become a member? ×

Epic blues numbers

Dropzone

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1456316312' post='2987689']
Check out Paul Rodgers - Muddy Water Blues. There's some quite heavy interpretations of some classic blues numbers on there.
[/quote]Great minds think alike :D

And at the same time too.

Edited by ezbass

For that rock/blues thing also definintely check out some of Gary Moore's blues albums.. Still Got the Blues, After Hours and his "Scars" band album spring most readily to mind. You might also check out BBM (Bruce, Baker, Moore) for some Cream-alike renderings...

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1456316312' post='2987689']
Check out Paul Rodgers - Muddy Water Blues. There's some quite heavy interpretations of some classic blues numbers on there.
[/quote]

He also did a live album called Live: The Loreley Tapes whic has some top stuff on it. Geoff Whitehorn on guitar duties.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1456307298' post='2987530']
I may be getting involved with a heavy blues project. Predominantly covers to start. This is not my area of expertise and I was wondering if you had any blues numbers in your set that set the world on fire or if they are any numbers that need to be avoided or any advice in general. Many thanks in advance. Mike
[/quote]

Explain yourself, boy! :D
What is meant by heavy blues?
Firstly, I suggest you keep all your numbers to under 4 minutes and keep your guitarist on a very short lead.
Your average punter and particularly ladies get pretty pi$$ed off with widdly merchants going on and on (bit like I do when I post on here).
The big boys of this so called blues world - SRV, EC, Bonapratta, Gary Bore, Walter Trout and the like - got / get away with it coz they've a name and can / could fill big venues.
The rest of us haven't and can't.
So be very careful with your choice of set if you intend playing in public and want to make some money.
Just saying, having played in blooze bands for far too long. :D

Edited by Jazzneck

For fear of being stoned by serious musos, how about early Status Quo? Albums like 'Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon', 'Dog of Two Head' and 'Piledriver' have got some great blues rock originals and covers in them.

But there are always so many. Blind Faith, Doors, CCR, Cactus and all the subsequent derivatives.

Edit - ZZ Top?

Edited by Paul S

+1 for Walter Trout, Rory Gallagher , SRV, Mountain, Johnny Wynter and John Mayall etc and some of this..

Stan Webb (Chicken Shack) Poor boy. We used to do this years ago and the intro is an attention grabber if it's tight and loud. The crowd would go from background conversation buzz to [size=5]WTF[/size] in 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58JZ05qlGk

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1456387960' post='2988431']
Here ya go. Enjoy. :)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=660a3z7r2_4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=660a3z7r2_4[/url]
[/quote]

The very one.. cheers Lefty :)

That Clutch song hammers along nicely too.

Early ZZ Top works for me too, we do 'Fool for your Stockings' and 'Just got back from baby's'.