Why become a member? ×

Heads that don't need a speaker load

Tee

Can anyone think of/recommend decent heads that can be used without a speaker load i.e. so as to use the DI out (if it has one) to go straight into desk or DAW? I know Eden heads can do this. Any others of note? Can the Aguilar TH500 do this?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1456177916' post='2986395']

Says who?
[/quote]It's a bit odd, I grant you, but the manual states the following when talking about the DI output:

"IMPORTANT: A speaker cabinet of suitable impedance and power handling must be connected to the amplifier’s speaker outputs even when the DI Output is in use."

So it's implied rather than stated directly the way I read it.

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1456185445' post='2986497']
It's a bit odd, I grant you, but the manual states the following when talking about the DI output:

"IMPORTANT: A speaker cabinet of suitable impedance and power handling must be connected to the amplifier’s speaker outputs even when the DI Output is in use."

[/quote]
Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

In the early days of solid state amps a few designs would go into oscillation (like feedback/howlround but electronically, inside the electronics)
If no load was connected they'd overheat and break in this state. My Exposure hi fi amp warns about this. I haven't seen that for a long time but I wonder if Orange are simply being careful, a bit like the 'may contain traces of nuts' warnings.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1456214863' post='2986579']
In the early days of solid state amps a few designs would go into oscillation (like feedback/howlround but electronically, inside the electronics)
If no load was connected they'd overheat and break in this state. My Exposure hi fi amp warns about this. I haven't seen that for a long time but I wonder if Orange are simply being careful, a bit like the 'may contain traces of nuts' warnings.
[/quote]
Well, the TB certainly contains some balls.

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1456185445' post='2986497']
It's a bit odd, I grant you, but the manual states the following when talking about the DI output:

"IMPORTANT: A speaker cabinet of suitable impedance and power handling must be connected to the amplifier's speaker outputs even when the DI Output is in use."

[/quote]

I'm guessing that they made the DI so utterly unusable for this very reason ... it discourages people who never read the manual ( :blush: ) from trying to use the amp as a DI-only source.

:lol:

Incidentally, when I started this thread ( http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/page__hl__otb%20valve ) I ran my OTB500 from the DI into a mixer, took a feed from the mixer into my Zoom H2, and monitored using headphones.

Not a speaker cabinet of suitable impedance in sight.

I suspect that, as others have said, this warning is of the "may contain traces of nuts" variety.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1456223958' post='2986704']
I think perhaps that has been copied and pasted from one of the Orange valve amp manuals. I've yet to see a modern solid state (or hybrid) amp that couldn't be run without a load.
[/quote]+1. Here's why: With valves signal always passes through the output valves, because their load is the primary winding of the output transformer. If there's no load on the secondary winding of the output transformer bad things can ensue. With SS if there's no load no current passes through the output transistors, so there are no worries.
Once upon a time first generation SS amps used output transformers, but I haven't seen that done since the late 1960s.