Why become a member? ×

Octave up pedal for bass

spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1493239072' post='3286877']
I had a Rowin Octopus long enough to realise it was a piece of crap.
[/quote]
Sadly, never a truer word spoken! I don't know if I just got a duff one, but I just couldn't get the sound I wanted to hear from it. I ended up taking it back to Dawson's & exchanged it for the superior Oceanverb pedal (I think it's made in the same Chinese factory as-as well as being a copy of-Mooer's Shimverb pedal.).

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread, following DB's recent mention of the Mooer Tender Octaver ('MTO') (and Royal Blood on a thread about FRFR and bass ...there you go, another day in the life of BC! :D)

Has anyone tried the MTO MkII? Particularly interested in how it stacks up against the TC Sub'n'up and / or the Digitech Mosaic as a polyphonic Octave Up.

@dood you come across this one in your travels, buddy?

4 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Why not play more than one note at s time? 10ths are a great way to do this and are free. Failing that, my money’s on the EQD Tentacles.

Well if you can play them an octave apart simultaneously and with no "latency" you're a MUCH better bass player than me :D

@Cuzzie will come along with the 'obvious' answer in a minute to getting an octave-up with minimal latency and authentic 'analog' sound, which doesn't even involve a pedal...

...but may require another bass.

In the meantime Mooer Tender Octaver MkII anyone?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Digitech Mosaic is the most musical octave up I've had. Much nicer than the Micro Pog for me. 

+1 ^^ for the Digitech Mosaic in terms of being 'musical'

Must admit I do prefer the Mosaic also to the EHX Pitchfork for octave up tracking - the Mosaic really does (for me) come close to a 12 string guitar equivalent for bass, or at least the best I've come across and I found the Pitchfork a little 'tinny' / synthetic.

25 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Have you tried the Sub'n'Up? Heard good things about the latency on that, and with it's built in EQ and modulation you could do the 12 string emulation perhaps better than anything!

Nope - but there are plenty, I'm sure, who have and hopefully one will come along soon with a 'warts and all' about how good it is as an octave up.

My recollection from previous comments is that it was 'tight' on monophonic tracking in terms of latency but much less so on polyphonic tracking.

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Resurrecting an old thread, following DB's recent mention of the Mooer Tender Octaver ('MTO') (and Royal Blood on a thread about FRFR and bass ...there you go, another day in the life of BC! :D)

Has anyone tried the MTO MkII? Particularly interested in how it stacks up against the TC Sub'n'up and / or the Digitech Mosaic as a polyphonic Octave Up.

@dood you come across this one in your travels, buddy?

I'm afraid I haven't! But I feel sure I read that someone suggested it's tracking wasn't as good as the TC or Pog.. don't quote me on that!

Just now, dood said:

I'm afraid I haven't! But I feel sure I read that someone suggested it's tracking wasn't as good as the TC or Pog.. don't quote me on that!

Cheers Dood. What's the Sub n up like for polyphonic tracking up? 

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers Dood. What's the Sub n up like for polyphonic tracking up? 

Yeah he's pretty good actually. Most of my poly happens up the dusty end (in comparison to most) as I am predominantly a 6 player, but that said, there's good stuff happening in tracking midway in the direction of north of the border. Actually, tracking (in the right mode) is impressive across the board. I spoke at length with Morten who used to work for TC and I found out that within the toneprints, the parameters that govern poly tracking are also tweaked. So there's definitely some factors you can't get your hands on in the TonePrint editor. This appears to be how the get SnU to act like an analogue at times even though its definitely DSP.

*I should also add that 'mini board' still hasn't been completed as I've been gigging the Helix to death right now.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tandark said:

Mooer tender octaver -  I use it specifically for that application.

Apologies - didn't quite follow whether you were replying to Dood's post or some other; which application do you specifically use it for?

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Apologies - didn't quite follow whether you were replying to Dood's post or some other; which application do you specifically use it for?

Replying to OP's - I drop in as an additional faux 6 string.

Edited by tandark

• 4 weeks later...

Chiming in late here, but I'd fully recommend the TC Sub'n'up for this.  I use mine exclusively for octave up. It replaced a Nano Pog on my board. It can do everything the Pog can do, in the same form factor, for a fair bit cheaper. It's also true bypass, if you care about that sort of thing.

Interestingly the tone in 'poly' mode is quite different to the Pog. When you use the octave up only, you get loads more bass and low mids. This makes perfect sense when you think about it - e.g. on a low E, by applying an octave up, you are 'doubling up' on all the low harmonics (82hz, 164hz, etc). So perhaps the Subnup gives a 'truer' octave up compared to the Pog.

Unfortunately, that sounds way too muddy in my opinion. I realise that EHX have voiced the Pog octave up to be quite 'thin' sounding. This sounds great when blended with the dry - the two voices are nice and distinct. 

So I made a tone-print exclusively for octave up. It slices off all the low mids / lows from the octave voice (HPF set at 400hz or something). I then reassigned the Sub1 knob so that this is a 'Tone' knob (variable LPF affecting the octave up voice only - got the idea from the Digitech Mosaic); Sub 2 is reassigned as a drive knob (affecting the Octave up voice only as well). Super versatile, and awesome sounding. Sounds pretty similar to the Pog with Tone all the way up and Drive all the way down. But by varying those knobs you can get a load of other great sounds. 

However the real icing on the cake is the 'classic' mode. This gives you an very cool, synthy-sounding (think OC2), fully polyphonic octave up.

I don't know how I never thought to do it before, but I've been grinning ear to ear since I made the discovery: I tried running an actual analog octave down (Octabvre in my case) into the Supnup octave up on 'classic' mode... synth heaven!

• Like 2

On 21/05/2018 at 19:18, dannybuoy said:

Finger and thumb, pinch technique!

Quite hard to route the upper string through a separate FX chain using that method though!

What about if you use that KMA signal splitter that separates high and low frequencies into separate channels?

• 2 months later...
On 17/06/2018 at 15:07, AJ567 said:

Chiming in late here, but I'd fully recommend the TC Sub'n'up for this.  I use mine exclusively for octave up. It replaced a Nano Pog on my board. It can do everything the Pog can do, in the same form factor, for a fair bit cheaper. It's also true bypass, if you care about that sort of thing.

Interestingly the tone in 'poly' mode is quite different to the Pog. When you use the octave up only, you get loads more bass and low mids. This makes perfect sense when you think about it - e.g. on a low E, by applying an octave up, you are 'doubling up' on all the low harmonics (82hz, 164hz, etc). So perhaps the Subnup gives a 'truer' octave up compared to the Pog.

Unfortunately, that sounds way too muddy in my opinion. I realise that EHX have voiced the Pog octave up to be quite 'thin' sounding. This sounds great when blended with the dry - the two voices are nice and distinct. 

So I made a tone-print exclusively for octave up. It slices off all the low mids / lows from the octave voice (HPF set at 400hz or something). I then reassigned the Sub1 knob so that this is a 'Tone' knob (variable LPF affecting the octave up voice only - got the idea from the Digitech Mosaic); Sub 2 is reassigned as a drive knob (affecting the Octave up voice only as well). Super versatile, and awesome sounding. Sounds pretty similar to the Pog with Tone all the way up and Drive all the way down. But by varying those knobs you can get a load of other great sounds. 

However the real icing on the cake is the 'classic' mode. This gives you an very cool, synthy-sounding (think OC2), fully polyphonic octave up.

I don't know how I never thought to do it before, but I've been grinning ear to ear since I made the discovery: I tried running an actual analog octave down (Octabvre in my case) into the Supnup octave up on 'classic' mode... synth heaven!

Is it possible to share TonePrint settings? That sounds like the perfect way to run the SubnUp in Octave-Up mode.