Why become a member? ×

Cutting through

barry021574

My new band has asked me to find a bass sound that cuts through "to the point where some other bands might complain about it".

I'm playing an EDS HD350 into an Epifani UL210 - that might be relevant or it might not. The lineup is drums, rhythm guitar and lead guitar (and bass). Gigs will be in small venues with voice only thru the PA.

Any recommendations on EQ that might help me cut through?

The low mids are where it's at. Works for me and I'm regularly told I cut through and every note is heard. We only have 1 guitar through so you wl a bit more work to do. Your guitarist's may need to make some adjustments as well.

Guest bassman7755

Looks like you've got the right kit to do the job. I'd start with everything flat, the P bass has a natural gentle mid hump which should be spot on for what your trying to do, maybe dial in a smidge of compression as this can help the audibility of notes without an actual volume increase, as mentioned above dial in some more mid/lo mid if it still isnt quite doing the trick.

Also at the risk of reopening the old "its all in the fingers" debate, well it is partially - plucking/picking nearer the bridge will give you more highs/mids and less lows. Strings in decent condition would be another factor - old crusty ones will be sapping the frequencies which give you the definition.

Edited by bassman7755

It`s funny, boosting the mids will be the recommendation from most, including myself, yet I also need to cut through the mix and do the opposite. I scoop the mids, boost the treble, play with gain/drive so that if the strings are hit hard you can hear the breakup, and I cut through very well in a 3-piece where the guitarist uses a Les Paul/Marshall 412 set-up. For info I use a Precision.

Really no matter what other settings are used, top-end is going to be needed. So bright, new strings, a bit of drive, compression, playing near the bridge with hard attack, all of these are really going to help, but boost that top-end.

I still think boosting mids enables cutting through a lot easier, but in my band, as said guitarist uses a Les Paul/Marshall, it just fudged the mids area too much hence why I went with the opposite.

[quote name='barry021574' timestamp='1454256672' post='2967901']
My new band has asked me to find a bass sound that cuts through "to the point where some other bands might complain about it".
[/quote]

I may have missed something - why would you want the bass to cut through "to the point where some other bands might complain about it".

I used to have the same problem , but it was me being too nice and sitting back in the mix I take no prisoners no more and turn up very loud if my guitarist is getting carried away he usually gets the hint then turns down I'd rather play quieter instead of building a awful wall of sound just a thought , keep us all posted how you go on fella😺

Edited by kevvo66

I think you need to ask them for a specific recorded example of the kind of tone they're after, for instance Tim Commerford on Bulls on Parade or Geezer on War Pigs or Paul McCartney on Hey Bulldog or Flea on Give It Away or Lemmy on Ace of Spades or Les Claypool on Tommy the Cat etc etc etc.

Regardless you're going to need a very controlled drummer and guitarists for you to get loud enough to be so up front in the mix with a relatively small rig.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1454289453' post='2968342']
Epifani cabs have a lot of low end, at least the 410 did. I improved my sound by moving up to Bergantino cabs. Have a look at the CN210 and CN212 cabs.

I'd also checkout Barefaced cabs. You'll cut right through the mix with one of those.
[/quote]

I didnt find my old epi 3x10 to be overly bassy or lack clarity and presence, it was capable of it certainly if you cranked the lows but not at all naturally boomy, so I'm not at all convinced that the OP needs a different cab. Really if youve got a premium cab like this it should be able to do pretty much anything.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1454330056' post='2968584']
How loud a band are you? Trying to compete with a band with a single 2x10 may be a big ask...
[/quote]

A top rank 2x10 like the epi can hold its own in most situations I would say, this is a 500w rms cab with decent sensitivity were talking about.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454271476' post='2968152']
They turn down a little, you turn up a little; job done (depending on repertoire...). ;)
[/quote]

Yep.. a good place to start but when gtrs start talking about a mix... well, I'd say at least
80% of the ones I know ..well, lets not go there.. :lol:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1454289453' post='2968342']
Epifani cabs have a lot of low end, at least the 410 did. I improved my sound by moving up to Bergantino cabs. Have a look at the CN210 and CN212 cabs.
[/quote]

I'd also offer that their typical sound is known for being 'pillowey'... and I'd agree if talking about their 12's..
I can see their 410 following that 'ethic' as well.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1454371905' post='2969185']

A top rank 2x10 like the epi can hold its own in most situations I would say, this is a 500w rms cab with decent sensitivity were talking about.
[/quote]

Most situations... That's why I asked how loud the band was.