Why become a member? ×

Headless body-less basses.

Paul S

I have a love/hate relationship with these. Over the past few years I have bought and sold three Hohner B2A basses. I go through periods when I consider them to be very practical to take as a back up bass in case the one I want to use fails for some reason. They take up no room in the car and no room on the stage. But I don't like them enough to want to gig with them as a main bass, although I have done very occasionally, and so I sell them and use of of my 'normal basses' (ok,l Precision basses) as back up. Then I find myself again on a small stage with very little space to stand two regular basses and I think 'why on earth did I sell my Hohner B2A?' After all, it is just insurance - I only intend to use the one main bass.

Thus I currently find myself in the market for one. But I wonder if I should try something else other than a Hohner B2A? If so, what are the choices for headless body-less basses? pros and cons for each? I'd be very interested to hear of other recommendations.

One I would jump at is a Riverhead Unicorn bass. I've seen and heard one of these in action and it was lovely. But I understand they are quite hard to come by .

Westone Quantum - possibly a bit clanky.

Westone Rail - never heard one.

There are Steinbergers - some are cheap and some are expensive but I don't know the difference.

Kramer Duke bass, unstable aluminium neck?

Anything else, cheap and cheerful? Hofner Shorty?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1454099801' post='2966531']
Kramer Duke bass, unstable aluminium neck?
[/quote]

I've owned several Kramers and a Hondo Alien which is a copy of The Duke, and never had any problems with the tuning or neck stability. Maybe if you come from a very cold van straight onto hot stage you would have some issues, but I bet you'd have just as many problems with a wooden-necked bass.

Guest Jecklin

I own a Kramer and it is as stable as any wood neck bass I own or have owned.

I have read all the stuff about heating up the alloy on stage.... How hot are these stages??? As BigRedX says, keep it in a cold van and come straight in then yes there is a temperature differential to acvomdate, but it's marginal.

Remember that vibraphones use aluminium for the tone bars. People aren't going outnof tune on those the whole time :)

I have a Rail, which I love, and an Alien, which I'm going to sell, and a Duke, which I'm going to sell. The B2A has a stuck or dead trussrod and is up for spares or repair. I've never played the Alien outside the house, but the Duke definitely has tuning problems. Maybe it's faulty?

Don't forget the sound . I got rid of my Hohner professional headless. Great feel etc. I could even slap a bit on it . But, the sound was muffled .
Steinberger so on the other hand- perfect sound but expensive.
I ce got an xm-3 full bodied one.
If I was in the o p position, I'd be after the synapse , mentioned here the other day .

I had two Rail basses - sold them both to BCers, some time ago.

Brilliant bit of kit - a real eye opener and how the positon of the pick-up is
so important to the tone/sounds you are looking for.
Hard ish to find, these days.

I still have a Quantum - Definately not clanky - BIG sound!
May look like it doesn't sound thunderous but that is very far from the truth.
I also have a B2A, wich doesn't have as bigger sound as the Quantum.

:)

Here's one that's not been suggested - Cort Headless, mid 80s:

These are closely related to the Hohner B2s and Jacks of the same era, using the same hardware - Cort made the Hohners & presumably held the license to use the hardware. Construction's through-neck like the B2 but the neck's more of a conventional P shape, a bit chunkier & 42mm at the nut.

Obviously the big difference is the P/J setup, which might offer a bit more flexibility to chop & change pickups & get the sound you want. I also have a B2A, and far prefer the sound of this.

They do turn up from time to time and because they're not as well-known as the Hohners, tend to go a fair bit cheaper. I got mine from a BCer 4 or 5 years back (fro shame, I can't remember who! :ph34r: ) and I think it was about £100. Cosmetically it was fairly rough so I stripped the original black finish - the wood was actually clear-coated underneath, so that was all I did. I made the little thumbrest/ramp thingy meself.

Jon.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1454149528' post='2966897']
I had two Rail basses - sold them both to BCers, some time ago.

Brilliant bit of kit - a real eye opener and how the positon of the pick-up is
so important to the tone/sounds you are looking for.
Hard ish to find, these days.

[/quote]

I was one of the lucky buyers :) . Stonking bass.

Also, Aria Sinsonido bass. These weigh nothing and sound great, at least to me, and the flare at the end of the neck is much nicer than, say, the Duke, where it is actually possible for your hand to fall off the end of the neck if you are a bit pissed and overenthusiastic :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

As a sort of post script to this thread I have just bought a Hohner B2B. Until I saw the advert I hadn't ever encountered this model, but it is passive with P/J pickups and a bolt on neck. All of which make it more desirable for me, especially the P pickup. Should be getting it tomorrow, with luck. So in the end I kind of played safe, but with a little hint of the unknown :)

I had a short romance with a Steinberger XL-2 this summer, and the bass is amazing. It's not as lightweight as one would expect by the looks of it, but a fantastic sounding and playing instrument. But I couldn't justify hanging on to it due to a Ken Smith bass I purchased earlier this year.

I also have a Riverhead bass, not the Unicorn but the Steinberger copy. And for the price paid, that one is even more amazing. I had to swap out the electronics on it because the neck pickup stopped working, and the only pickup I found that fit the routing was Status pickups. And now the bass plays and sounds amazing. Not anything like the Steinberger, which has a very distinct sound, but it has its own vibe going. And it sounds a little more woody than the Steinie. My needs for a portable bass is fully covered by the Riverhead.

I also have owned a Warwick Nobby Meidl, which was also a fantastic instrument. Rare nowadays.

And Tom Clement built me a 6-string headless with a singlecut body, and although not quite as small, it fit in a guitar bag. Great bass,too.

They take a little getting used to. But I like them.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1454158024' post='2967025']
Is Prosebass still on Basschat?

IIRC he made full size small bodied headless basses.
[/quote]

I certainly am, and certainly did, but stopped building in 2012.

This (30" scale) was up for sale recently and may still be available [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/270456-prose-headless-short-scale-bass/page__p__2882417__hl__prose__fromsearch__1#entry2882417"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2882417[/url]

[attachment=212373:Tonys Picobass .JPG]

[attachment=212374:homeoriginal01copy.JPG]

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1455461407' post='2979265']
Yamaha BX1 might be a good option.
[/quote]

Now THAT is stunning. Thank you - it was the one I was trying to remember having seen a picture of one yonks ago but it wouldn't come to mind.

Mind you, having noodled around on it for a couple of days I find that the B2B is rather nice. More my cup of tea than the B2A. I may stick a Fender original pup in it to see what difference that makes.

Edited by Paul S