Why become a member? ×

Your dream bass

EccentricRichard

I don't have a dream bass.
My current Peavey millenium AC bxp does everything I want [light, fast, balances perfectly, excellent pups] with just 2 gripes:
1) Fret wear seems excessive - cheap fret wire perhaps?
2) Battery life is appalling but manageable with rechargeable batteries.

Edited by Adrenochrome

I own mine too :huh:
The only change I'd like to make now is to swap the EMGs for Delanos... will probably get that done at some point. Apart from that... mmmm, perfect.
An identical-twin fretless would be nice... :)
[attachment=13523:shuke_fr...ebsite_1.jpg]

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='286470' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:09 AM']I don't have a dream bass.
My current Peavey millenium AC bxp does everything I want [light, fast, balances perfectly, excellent pups] with just 2 gripes:
1) Fret wear seems excessive - cheap fret wire perhaps?
2) Battery life is appalling but manageable with rechargeable batteries.[/quote]

Rechargeable PP3 batteries tend to do poorly in active instruments?

[quote name='neepheid' post='286473' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:12 AM']Rechargeable PP3 batteries tend to do poorly in active instruments?[/quote]
Nah, it's a known problem with that pup/preamp setup on the active Millenium and Cirrus that were built over a certain period. Brand new alkaline batteries were only lasting a month or 2. Rechargeables slightly less but a lot cheaper!

I wouldn't want any furniture...this has to be something that can be played and dinged. Spector Thunderbird, black, black hardware. I'd like it to have the guts of a Rickenbacker 4001 please. And block inlays.

I have a picture on my PC of an old trashed jazz body with a couple of MusicMan pickups installed, something like that with a rosewood board and block inlays.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='286486' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:35 AM']I wouldn't want any furniture...this has to be something that can be played and dinged. Spector Thunderbird, black, black hardware. I'd like it to have the guts of a Rickenbacker 4001 please. And block inlays.

I have a picture on my PC of an old trashed jazz body with a couple of MusicMan pickups installed, something like that with a rosewood board and block inlays.

P[/quote]
Wow! That looks really nice! For reasons i don't quite understand, i'm VERY attracted to that bass!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='286448' date='Sep 18 2008, 09:29 AM']I'm fortunate enough to have my dream bass. It took ages to arrive but it was worth it.[/quote]

absolutley bloody gorgeous--even if it has too many strings for me :)

i'm well jealous.

Edited by artisan

This is mine - I love it for many reasons!

- It is quite old (1988) and has lots of wear but means it fits 'like an old jumper'
- I don't have to be precious with it at all
- I have used it all over the place in different situations and 'know' it inside out
- The action is flawlessly low and hasn't moved since - extremely stable neck
- I can play synths and all sorts with it
- It has a fairly unique sound, somewhere between a MM and a Status with a bit of Smith
- I got her for a paltry £500
- You don't see them often
- It has 'seen off' other basses I have had by Alembic, Marleaux, Bacchus, Bossa, Pedulla etc

[quote name='Rich' post='286471' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:10 AM']The only change I'd like to make now is to swap the EMGs for Delanos... will probably get that done at some point. Apart from that... mmmm, perfect.
[attachment=13523:shuke_fr...ebsite_1.jpg][/quote]

I have Delanos [MM/J] on my single cut,
I quite often run the Bass in passive mode. [i have no passive tone control...so just flat]
And they sound the dogs..really rich and creamy.. :)
Cant understand why more people dont try them.. :huh:

Garry

My "dream" bass has been my regular daydream for months, currently (since hearing that Status are dropping the Smartbass - I did want a walnut 4 string with passive p pickup) -

Status "J" neck, lightweight vintage tuners
Warmoth J body in either black w/ tort scratchplate or natural w/ black scratchplate (if they can find nice piece of ash)
Delano split coil J pickups, pasive vvt pots with a series/parallel switch
badass bridge
straplocks

Chrome or black hardware.

Just want a nice, stable "set and forget" instrument with a range of traditional tones. Nice!

I've been thinking about a dream bass for a while now whilst trying to save the funds to build it :) and I'm thinking of something like a les paul shaped body (mahogany + flamed maple top) finished in transparent black routed for p/mm pickups, aguilar obp 3 pre, 2 mini switches and a 5way strat style selector up in the usual place for a les paul, wenge neck with ebony board no markers and them delano pups withe the massive magnets the FE ones.

something a bit different from the norm and I think it would look sweet

[quote name='lwtait' post='286199' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:06 PM']mines in my avatar :huh:[/quote]
Yup

[quote name='dood' post='286337' date='Sep 17 2008, 11:38 PM']took the words right out of my mouth ;o)

<<<<<<<<<[/quote]
Yup x2

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='286448' date='Sep 18 2008, 09:29 AM']I'm fortunate enough to have my dream bass. It took ages to arrive but it was worth it.[/quote]
Yup x3

[quote name='OldGit' post='286477' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:21 AM']Snap! - ish :)
[/quote]
And again
Ummm yeah, me too (or maybe a 5 string version) :huh:

I'd be happy if I had one just like this lucky bloke's bass:

1966 mustang with original daphne blue finish with pearl guard and lollypop tuners.

or maybe a modern CIJ one in california blue an aged pearl guard instead of the bright stock one. Also in my dreams hipshot will make a set of mustang tuners with lollypop paddles and a D-tuner.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

id have to go custom and get a ACG skelf single cut 6 string black with black hardware and a quilted maple fretboard birdseye maple neck. Maybe black burst with a spalted maple top. Oh with 2 MM style pickups. I think when i qualify next year i am going to get it once i get a job.

In Fact stuff it I AM going to get one when i qualify. I deserve it.

[quote name='metaltime' post='286839' date='Sep 18 2008, 08:40 PM']id have to go custom and get a ACG skelf single cut 6 string black with black hardware and a quilted maple fretboard birdseye maple neck. Maybe black burst with a spalted maple top. Oh with 2 MM style pickups. I think when i qualify next year i am going to get it once i get a job.

In Fact stuff it I AM going to get one when i qualify. I deserve it.[/quote]
Hi Mealtime, Alan makes a good lefty.

I'm pretty happy with my '91 Thumb tbh. If I could find a 5-er from the same year I'd be marginally happier - I know the old 5s were nice from playing them back in the day.

I'd also like a sunburst Jazz with tort guard, rosewood board and mop block inlays. My first bass was a copy in the same style but it was horribly awfully sh*t. I'd like one that isn't. I did later have a US Jazz but that was sh*t too. :) Maybe I'm being unreasonable in my pursuit of a bass that looks nice but I probably won't like...

Edited by thisnameistaken