Why become a member? ×

Fake Festivals

JellyKnees

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453284362' post='2958007']
I don't like custard or ice cream.....
[/quote]

How do you cope? Without custard and ice cream, there can be no point to life. Have you tried counselling?

I was offered a gig with a Kate Bush tribute band who had a bit of a revolving door of bass players a couple of years ago, I turned it down as I was in two originals bands at the time, and didn't want to be out constantly. I figured the bass gig would come round again, and the offer would come up again.

It didn't, I wish I had taken it, one of those originals bands was a proper shambles and only rehearsed twice. I would have had the time.

Their current bassist seems very happy, and unlikely to leave (and is on this thread, being smug about it) :)

I regret everything, tribute bands are fun, and pay money, and get you big venues with full crowds.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1453290608' post='2958075']
I was offered a gig with a Kate Bush tribute band who had a bit of a revolving door of bass players a couple of years ago, I turned it down as I was in two originals bands at the time, and didn't want to be out constantly. I figured the bass gig would come round again, and the offer would come up again.

It didn't, I wish I had taken it, one of those originals bands was a proper shambles and only rehearsed twice. I would have had the time.

Their current bassist seems very happy, and unlikely to leave (and is on this thread, being smug about it) :)

I regret everything, tribute bands are fun, and pay money, and get you big venues with full crowds.
[/quote]I don't know how old you are, and this is only my opinion, but originals bands are probably a waste of time if you're over 30, unless you want to do music that hardly anybody else is interested in and you only want to do a handful of unpaid gigs a year

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1453293589' post='2958119']
I don't know how old you are, and this is only my opinion, but originals bands are probably a waste of time if you're over 30, unless you want to do music that hardly anybody else is interested in and you only want to do a handful of unpaid gigs a year
[/quote]

I'm 38, and I have been enjoying only doing a handful of unpaid gigs to a largely disinterested audience for the last year or so.

Am going to go back to covers bands this year as well though, as I am skint,
:)

I don't know how old you are, and this is only my opinion, but originals bands are probably a waste of time if you're over 30, unless you want to do music that hardly anybody else is interested in and you only want to do a handful of unpaid gigs a year
[/quote]

I'm well over 30 and my originals band does pretty well in terms of popularity combined with frequency of good paying gigs. I acknowledge that I may well be the exception to the norm, but AFAIAC if I can do it anyone who wants to invest the required time and effort can as well.

[/quote]

But that's not always the case. You just have to choose your bands.

Ok, my originals band does not make as much cash as a function band would (although we do occasionally play the odd wedding/private function too, and those pay well), but we gig on average three times a month and our fee covers our expenses plus our recordings and assorted band activities. It is not something I could make a living on if I quit my day job! :lol: But as far as playing music on teh side for fun... it's been fantastic: it is fun and it doesn't cost me, in fact I make some sometimes and get to lots of other interesting gigs/small festivals for free.
We also organise our own special shows at a venue we hire in town a few times a year and it's always well attended and makes money (venue hire is now cheap for us because they know that we'll bring people who will drink ;)) So there can be interest for originals bands.

I did try and quit a bunch of bands before finding one that seemed promising 'though. I think too many people stick to something that's just 'meh' out of fear of not playing at all or something. And I think too many originals bands seem to have an attitude of entitlement, or acting as though they were artistically superior, yet not backed up by their performance... so, shop around and don't stop at the first band who will have you ;)

Our drummer additionally plays weddings etc, and makes good money on the side with his function band, so you can do both. I don't because the whole function band is not for me... The weddings we played with my originals band were cool, but all too often it involves being far too patient with drunk guests and waiting around, and I frankly don't need the money that badly: it's got to be fun, at this stage, for me.

I'm 47.

[/quote]

I'm 51 & I'd much rather play original music I enjoy that nobody else likes than play songs I can't stand to an appreciative audience.
I never wanted to be an entertainer.

I realise that there are few fellow bassist on here that do ok in originals bands and good luck to them that's why I said probably, I know one or two bands that have built up a bit of a following but to do that you have to play all over the country quite often to small crowds, driving to a far off gig is not too bad but the 2 or 300 mile drive back and getting home in the early hours is not something I want to do on a regular basis. You could say that shows lack of commitment and you're probably right, but there's only so long I want to hit my head against a brick wall.