Why become a member? ×

Rio Isolated Bass Track - is it John Taylor?

spectoremg

8 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Do you not think the OP was extremely disrespectful to the original player?

This response is simply in the same tone as the OP's comment - " I think he'd have been able to that". What a terrible, misleading, uneducated, condescending comment.

No. He was posting his opinion/question in that he thought it was plectrum and that it was unlikely to have been played with fingers. Unless you're John Taylor's Mum I'm unsure why you became so offended?

Nice editing of your original post btw. What was that you were saying about being condescending comments?

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

No. He was posting his opinion/question in that he thought it was plectrum and that it was unlikely to have been played with fingers. Unless you're John Taylor's Mum I'm unsure why you became so offended?

Nice editing of your original post btw. What was that you were saying about being condescending comments?

Well - we all have our opinions and i disagree with you. It came across as extremely condescending.

"I think he'd have been able to that".

Just another Duran dismissive by any chance?

As for Oasis - they've offended just about everyone in the world.

1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

Well - we all have our opinions and i disagree with you. It came across as extremely condescending.

"I think he'd have been able to that".

Just another Duran dismissive by any chance?

As for Oasis - they've offended just about everyone in the world.

We'll all be sure to check in with you before posting in future in case you become offended. Thanks.

You'll find plenty of love for JT and Duran on these pages. As for your Oasis comment.... well you've just fallen into your own trap ;)

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

We'll all be sure to check in with you before posting in future in case you become offended. Thanks.

You'll find plenty of love for JT and Duran on these pages. As for your Oasis comment.... well you've just fallen into your own trap ;)

I'm happy to state my opinion on Oasis - is that not allowed?

I haven't gone around insinuating that they don't or aren't capable of playing what they play.

The fact you choose to defend the OP's condescending comment i will leave with you.

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

I think the op just misread the forum. I'd like to welcome @[email protected]

There is a thread where folk introduce themselves. Why not just pop over there and tell us a bit about yourself, and we can all start again. 

Thank you - i very much appreciate that. I simply responded in a tone to the OP's post that reflected his own.

1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

I'm happy to state my opinion on Oasis - is that not allowed?

I haven't gone around insinuating that they don't or aren't capable of playing what they play.

The fact you choose to defend the OP's condescending comment i will leave with you.

It's allowed, be it right or wrong.

The OP's opinion is also allowed, be it right or wrong. I haven't defended it - I am defending his right to have it.

My issue is that you have joined an established forum where lots of people know each other personally or through regular interaction on the forum and treat each other with respect. There is much ribbing and goading but only with those who we know well through such interaction. Coming straight in on your very first post and 'having a go' at someone - then doing the same thing you accused them of, however, just isn't a great way to start.

I wish you well and hope you can contribute more positively in future.

Great bass part, during the 1st lockdown I had a plan (which sadly I never got round to finishing) of starting a Youtube channel of my bass covers, anyway I filmed several bass covers with the intention of uploading and one of the songs on my list was Rio , anyhow I made a number of attempts at the song and in a band cover and in a band mix my bass playing would have sounded fine but in the context of a bass cover I just could not get the bass part tight enough and after a number of attempts decided I would abandon my bass cover of that song so I have great respect for John Taylor's playing 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cetera said:

It's allowed, be it right or wrong.

The OP's opinion is also allowed, be it right or wrong. I haven't defended it - I am defending his right to have it.

My issue is that you have joined an established forum where lots of people know each other personally or through regular interaction on the forum and treat each other with respect. There is much ribbing and goading but only with those who we know well through such interaction. Coming straight in on your very first post and 'having a go' at someone - then doing the same thing you accused them of, however, just isn't a great way to start.

I wish you well and hope you can contribute more positively in future.

Which is fair enough - i didn't say he wasn't entitled to it. But it was an extremely suggestive 'he's not good enough' comment in its tone and i simply replied in kind.

Forums are a great place to share knowledge, chat and banter. I hope to be able to add to that too.

Edited by [email protected]

40 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Great bass part, during the 1st lockdown I had a plan (which sadly I never got round to finishing) of starting a Youtube channel of my bass covers, anyway I filmed several bass covers with the intention of uploading and one of the songs on my list was Rio , anyhow I made a number of attempts at the song and in a band cover and in a band mix my bass playing would have sounded fine but in the context of a bass cover I just could not get the bass part tight enough and after a number of attempts decided I would abandon my bass cover of that song so I have great respect for John Taylor's playing 

I think he’s a really good player. Back when Duran came out, the type of (unashamedly pop) band they were, his/their looks were referred to more than their music. It was lazily assumed that they weren’t particularly good players, which, IMHO, is neither right nor fair.

The Taylors could all play well (John and Roger in particular), whilst Nick Rhodes would be the first to admit that he wasn’t really aspiring to be a great keyboard player, but then he didn’t really need to be, given what his/the keys role in the band was.

I also think that Martin Kemp and Mikey Craig were viewed in a similar way, and were/are also both really good players... 

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Do you not think the OP was extremely disrespectful to the original player?

This response is simply in the same tone as the OP's comment - " I think he'd have been able to that". What a terrible, misleading, uneducated, condescending comment.

Crisps: check. Beer: check. Comfy chair: check 

• Haha 1

Meh, was it fingers, was it a plectrum, can he play it with fingers? Of course he can. 🙂

In my acoustic band the rhythm section is doublebass and cajon and we play it fine. Not a slowed down, warbly vocal version, but a full speed version. In fact due drummer's usual over enthusiasm syndrome we do it faster than the recording quite often. 

Dont get me wrong, it's a workout but that syncopated feel is fun to play bouncing off doublebass strings, an the audience love it. 

3 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Some people talk absolute rubbish.

What sort of bass player can you be if you say Rio was played with a plectrum? Clearly no musical ear and lacking in any knowledge whatsoever.

Having just listened, to my ear that recorded track sounds like plectrum with the exception of some of the chorus :)

13 minutes ago, Maude said:

In my acoustic band the rhythm section is doublebass and cajon and we play it fine. Not a slowed down, warbly vocal version, but a full speed version. In fact due drummer's usual over enthusiasm syndrome we do it faster than the recording quite often. 

Dont get me wrong, it's a workout but that syncopated feel is fun to play bouncing off doublebass strings, an the audience love it. 

That I'd like to see mate :)

13 minutes ago, Maude said:

Meh, was it fingers, was it a plectrum, can he play it with fingers? Of course he can. 🙂

Hang on, a drummer who speeds up, that's not something I've come across :)

• Haha 1