Why become a member? ×

You'll Never work In This Town Again....

phil.c60

Right, here goes.
We have been trying to get a gig at this particular venue for a while (pub). Man who books the bands will only book you for a Friday or Saturday night if you do a Sunday afternoon first so he can see what he thinks (or more accurately what the staff think and how busy it stays as he's never there). Fair enough, but our guitar guy really doesn't do Sundays for family reasons. We persuade him to do it as a one-off. It goes well: so well, we are offered 6 (IIRC) more Sundays. Sorry, we say, you knew this was a one off. OK, says man, here's the only Saturday left before Christmas. If that's OK we'll book you for next year.
We take the Saturday offered, turn up on the night, set up, and a grubby looking guy comes towards us. "Oh F***" says harmonica player "I know him,. he's a pest and he's useless". Grubby guy starts talking to our guitarist, tells him he makes his living busking (clearly not a good living, looking at him) and can he play with us. "Play what?" says guitarist "harmonica" says man. "Ask him" says guitarist pointing at harmonica player. "Can I play but I'll need to use your harmonicas" says guy "No" says harmonica player. "Definitely not". I can see why. you wouldn't let him spit in your beer for you, would you, so why let him spit in something you are going to suck through later. "Can I borrow your guitar then" he say's to guitarist, eyeing his vintage telecaster. Guess what, that's a no too. "OK" says grubby guy, "I've got a tambourine at home so I'll go and get it later".
Said grubby guy turns up later with, yes you guessed it, a manky tambourine. He then stands in front of me shaking it to some irregular beat that's clearly only present in his universe for song after song. I'm clinging on to the correct rhythms for dear life whilst concentrating on the drummer who's concentrating on me.
Eventually we start a song (La Grange, actually) which starts with sparse guitar, rim shot's and bare vocal. He won't stop. It's really putting the guitarist/singer off. "Sshhhh" says I. Nope. Again, louder. Nope. "Shut Up" Nope. "Shut the f*** up" that's better, he stops but he looks like I've kicked his puppy. I motion him to start again when we get to the loud part as I know I can drown him out, then tell him that's enough.
Woman fro the bar pay's us after we've finished, says the takings were great, and we were "A first class band" and to get in touch with booking guy about next (now this) year. Fast forward to this week. Harmonica player get's in touch with booking guy to sort out dates, discovers that grubby guy is his mate, and he's not happy about us not letting him play. Harmonica guy tries to explain that we don't lend out gear, certainly won't share harmonicas, only do guests by arrangement etc. but he's having none of it., and refuses to book us.
I have offered to call him myself to see if I can straighten it out, but harmonica player tells me "I might not have been very diplomatic by the end of the conversation......" and I think I know what that means.
Don't you just love the music business.
Happy New Year.

Edited by phil.c60

PITA. I always gently explain to anybody who wants to use y gear, that they aren't insured to use it.

If they persist, they are told they can use it if they sign my form and make a refundable deposit of £500 cash. Get a bit of abuse, but they only pester me once.

Give the gig up, just looking for grief going back imo.

I am surprised you are still persevering playing there as he will no doubt be there again. I'd run a mile.

We used to do a local pub where one of the regulars used to drunkenly dance in front of us knocking over mic stands and falling into one of us. Once was okay but he would do it all night. Gaffer and other locals found it hilarious but we didn't. We don't play there anymore.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1452261381' post='2948188']
Sounds like you may well have all dodged a bullet there: imagine Stig Of The Dump Turning up to every gig...
[/quote]

This. We sound bad enough with me playing ... :D

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1452268318' post='2948323']
So how did he get to "[color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You'll Never work In This Town Again...." has it escalated since or is he 'Colin Corleone'?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

It was my vague attempt at humour, based on the fact that he clearly thinks that if he doesn't book us we'll be sorry. I think he thinks he's the only gig in town.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452274775' post='2948443']
And as for playing a free gig there as a sort of audition..??
[/quote]

No, I never said the Sunday afternoon was a freebie - it paid OK. It's just their try-out slot.[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1452268318' post='2948323']
So how did he get to "[color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You'll Never work In This Town Again...." has it escalated since or is he 'Colin Corleone'?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

If you want to know the venue: All pm's answered!

Edited by phil.c60

On a similar vein - we had a problem a little while back in a decent venue we wanted to play in regularly - we also headline a big festival they do each Summer so we were trying to build a decent relationship with the landlord. The sound has always been no better than average (understatement) and it is a small venue with about a 6 inch high stage and no barrier.

Middle of last year we set up there and it was a cracking night - mid Summer, nice and warm and rammed as a result. Unfortunately some of the crowd had clearly been drinking all afternoon and were rocking and rolling. Midway through beer started to get thrown around and then bodies starting falling onto the front of the stage - I worked it out afterwards and we had about £5k of pedals on the floor in front of us (we have 3 guitars and bass) most of which was now liberally coated in alcohol and our mates in the support band had no choice but to try and "bounce" the front of the stage!

We managed to calm it down eventually (our lead singer is great at connecting with the audience) and finished the gig. We felt we had no choice but to have a word with the landlord and told him he needed to sort the sound (as it had been a constant niggle every time we played there) and erect a barrier otherwise we would not be booking any gigs there in the future - it had got so bad I don't think we had a choice so we were prepared to walk away unless he did something.

To his credit - that is exactly what he has done - he upgraded the sound system, lighting and erected a scaffolding barrier across the front of the stage - I am not sure if it was all down to us (others may have also complained) but everyone benefited including him as he managed to get "Big Country" on there shortly afterwards!!!

We will be playing there three times this year - happy days!