Why become a member? ×

What kind of GAS have you got?

roceci

Was chatting with the missus last night (must remember to do that more often) & the conversation turned to my recent bass acquisitions (actually scratch the above).

Tbh tho it was pretty lighthearted & we ended up coming with different names for GASeous states. It passed the time & made us chuckle so I thought I'd share. Chip in as & when :)

Natural Gas - the requirement to purchase something that you actually need, like a replacement for knackered gear or if bassless/ampless etc.

Trapped Gas - an urge for gear, likely outside of the Natural Gas category, which just won't subside.

Gas Leak - trying to keep an imminent purchase on the downlow from your partner but getting too excited & letting it slip, a little bit. "Have a quick look at this on Basschat...isn't it lovely?"

Controlled Gas Leak - gear purchased on the downlow is incoming & the time has come to gain a partner's implicit agreement prior to impact. "I got in touch with that bloke on Basschat in the end JUST to ask if he'd drop the price IF I could buy it & he said yes..." etc.

Methane Gas - gassed for ages for something, get it & it's a real stinker.

Fracking - perusing for sale ads for ideas for new & unneeded acquisitions due to money burning a hole in the pocket or inability to cope with no recent acquisitions.

Deep Horizon - spending a load of dosh on unneeded gear which leaves the mortgage in jeopardy/makes the kids go hungry/results in eventual kneecapping.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Deep Horizon for me. I really want a post 2008 black/maple US Fender Jazz. I won`t use it in my band, but I just want one. Can afford it, but it`s money that I don`t really need to be spending on an instrument that will only get home use.

Had some trapped gas for a Dingwall NG-2 for some time now, but hopefully there's a good fart happening soon to relieve that trapped gas! That was all the GAS I had, until I spotted this on the local Gumtree: https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/1979-pre-ernie-ball-music-man-sabre-bass/1149418316

1979 pre-EB Sabre, seller looking £1200 but open to reasonable offfers...think this might qualify as a Deep Horizon... B)

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1452513761' post='2950588']
I suffer from Piper Alpha GAS. That is where you monitor the normal musical GAS but are completely oblivious to the GAS leaking out in other areas (car, electronic gizmos, nights out) until it is far, far too late.
[/quote]

Haha - made me think of a new one. Red Adair - the missus (or significant other). From Wikipedia: "...[color=#252525][font=sans-serif] notable as an innovator in the highly specialized and hazardous profession of extinguishing and capping oil [/font][/color][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_(oil_well)"]well blowouts[/url] [read: GAS]" :lol:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452511475' post='2950536']
I have several cool basses,amps and a nice effects pedal board.

I'm not buying anything.

Blue
[/quote]

This is exactly where I'm at now. And I'm very happy with all my pedals and basses. But why am I still checking the classifieds here and elsewhere just in case something interesting comes up?
I guess 'fracking' sums it up. What hope is there for me??