Why become a member? ×

Switching between pick/fingers---for a single song

uncle psychosis

Normally in the band I play everything with a pick, but recently we've written some stuff which for lack of a better description is country-rock-esque and would perhaps be better served using fingers. However, if I just jump from pick to fingers without changing anything else then I find the tone a bit...muddy/muffled (??? I hate describing sounds) I guess.

Any generic tips for changing from pick to fingers and vice versa? EQ changes (what?), level changes, anything really?

First person to turn this into a pick vs fingers argument is waiving their right to complain should I ever meet them in person and deliver the world's most epic wedgie. You have been warned.

If it's just one song I'd be tempted to do the matching through dynamics and not worry about physically changing EQs, otherwise it's going to be a massive pain in the arse with variable results at best. How is your fingerstyle compared with your pick playing?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452121307' post='2946821']
If it's just one song I'd be tempted to do the matching through dynamics and not worry about physically changing EQs, otherwise it's going to be a massive pain in the arse with variable results at best. How is your fingerstyle compared with your pick playing?
[/quote]

Not great to be honest, but its mostly good enough to get me through some 1-5 cowboy numbers :)

I reckon I probably get away with it when the band is chugging away beside me but it sounds pretty crap practicing at home so tips would be welcome all the same!

Concentrate on keeping the fingerstyle and pick at the same level volume-wise, is what I'd do. I'd also avoid using pedals or any external FX, that's just going to introduce unnecessary variables... I'm sure it can be done with just the fingers. And pick. ;)

Edited by discreet

I was doing about 70/30 fingers/pick with my last band, and TBH it never occurred to me to make any specific EQ or level changes between the two. I would tend to have different pickup combinations for particular songs (backing one or the other pickup off on a bass with Jazz wiring), but not specifically for fingers versus pick. I think I got away with that, or at least nobody ever had an issue with it and I was always quite happy. I'd agree with Discreet and try to work with your right hand dynamics.

I pretty much alternate between pick and fingerstyle and I use a zoom B1on pedal to even out the sound. My pick playing is naturally a little more aggressive and louder, so I have a custom patch on the multi fx which tames it a little and adds a smidge of drive. Likewise, my fingerstyle setting adds a little high end to stop it sounding a bit too swampy. Works really well and they're only 40- odd quid.

I started as a pick player but moved over completely to playing with fingers years ago apart from the odd song here and there in the set. Still like the aggressive attack in my sound though so I use an EHX Steel Leather pedal to get more bite and presence in the higher frequencies. Needs to be used quite sparingly though or it can start to sound a bit fizzy.

When I alternate, I leave the controls untouched on bass and amp and use no pedals.

I play with a pick very close to the bridge, and I play fingerstyle either over the neck pickup or sometimes over the 24th fret.

Two completely different styles resulting in two completely different tones.

Surely that's the point?

And don't call me Shirley.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1452121002' post='2946812']
Normally in the band I play everything with a pick, but recently we've written some stuff which for lack of a better description is country-rock-esque and would perhaps be better served using fingers. However, if I just jump from pick to fingers without changing anything else then I find the tone a bit...muddy/muffled (??? I hate describing sounds) I guess.
[/quote]

It is not clear to me what your reason is for wanting to change from pick to fingers for one song. Is it the aesthetics of the country-rock style (if such a thing exists), or is it that you do want a different tone, but not quite as muddy as the one you are currently getting? If it is the former, then I cannot help. If it is the latter, you will have to experiment with positioning and attack I guess. In general, playing as close to the bridge as possible will give you a "thinner" and less boomy sound, but also requires a bit more attack to get the same volume.

I also find it odd that you dismiss RhysP's suggestion to try a felt pick, if the aim is to even out the differences between pick and fingers. Of course you would have to adjust the eq accordingly to get back to the pick tone you want, but that would at the same time give you a brighter sound when playing with the fingers. Which is exactly what you wanted, or am I missing something?

[i]Disclaimer: I have never played with a pick.[/i]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452150431' post='2946928']
When I alternate, I leave the controls untouched on bass and amp and use no pedals.

I play with a pick very close to the bridge, and I play fingerstyle either over the neck pickup or sometimes over the 24th fret.

Two completely different styles resulting in two completely different tones.

Surely that's the point?

And don't call me Shirley.
[/quote]

+1. I play about 50/50, dont change the settings at all between most songs.

Isnt the point in changing from pick to fingers that you actually want a different sound?

Otherwise there isnt much point in changing anyway is there?

I play mostly with fingers, and play one or two with a pick.

Only changes i make is i add a liittle more treble when i play with a pick. But that's only because i take treble off to get "my sound" when usually playing with my fingers.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1452161881' post='2947055']
Isnt the point in changing from pick to fingers that you actually want a different sound?
[/quote]

Not necessarily - somebody might only be able to play a certain thing with a pick if their fingerstyle technique isn't up to the job.

That's how I read it. Although primarily a pick player, I've been working on my fingerstyle for the last couple of years and now I switch between the two from song to song all through the sets and sometimes if required in the same song in louder passages - I just moderate the volume by varying the attack. The trick is palming the pick without dropping it, then magically producing it again when needed - a touch of the Paul Daniels required.

Actually, I am not sure I want to think of a touch of Paul Daniels.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452162816' post='2947066']
I assumed it wasn't about trying to get the same sound with both methods, but equalising the volume between fingers and pick so that one isn't louder than the other in the mix? Or have I missed something again? :crazy:
[/quote]

That's what I thought too, but I got a snotty reply when I suggested something that I thought might help.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452162816' post='2947066']
I assumed it wasn't about trying to get the same sound with both methods, but equalising the volume between fingers and pick so that one isn't louder than the other in the mix? Or have I missed something again? :crazy:
[/quote]

No, you're right. If I wanted exactly the same sound then I wouldn't bother changing.

I like my pick sound. I don't really like my finger style sound if I switch without changing anything. I'm looking for some simple tips.