Why become a member? ×

Mold!

Skol303

Was up in the attic last night squirrelling away the Xmas decorations… when I noticed that one of my hard cases has sprouted an outbreak of mold :blink:

Doesn’t seem too serious… yet. It’s a sort of patchy, white ’fluffy’ growth on the outside of the case (inside seems ok). Looks a bit like leopard skin; lots of small fungal ‘dots’.

The case itself is standard plastic; tolex or some such.

Anyone suffered this themselves? And if so, how did you deal with it? I’m guessing a splash of diluted bleach should do the trick - but I wanted to check whether there are better approaches or home-made remedies.

(For now I've taken the case out of the attic and stashed it in the spare room, where it's less humid).

Cheers for any tips! :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452000736' post='2945340']
You need to get some advice about improving the circulation of air in your roof space.
[/quote]

+1. This is the problem. There should be ventilation bricks in the loft - check they're not blocked with clag or goit.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452003157' post='2945375']
Actually the thread title is 'Mold'. Isn't that a town in Wales?? :D
[/quote]

Yes it is.
I was going to point it out but I'm not as pedantic as some people....... :D

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1452000661' post='2945337']Vinegar, and don't leave it in the spare room as the spores will start to spread![/quote]

Good point!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1452000736' post='2945340']I'd be even more worried for your joists. You need to get some advice about improving the circulation of air in your roof space.[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452002490' post='2945364']+1. This is the problem. There should be ventilation bricks in the loft - check they're not blocked with clag or goit.[/quote]

Yeah I did worry about that. Everything else seems perfectly dry; no signs of condensation up there and everything else is completely mold-free (we've stored clothes up there for about two years and they're all fine). It's just this one case that's suffering from mold.

I have started to wonder whether the spores were already inherent in the case - ? It was bought second-hand and did smell a bit 'off' when I first got it. Might explain why everything else seems ok. But then I'm not an expert ([i]just a fun-gi to be with![/i] :D ).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452002996' post='2945371']HG Mould spray. Very good stuff.[/quote]

Ta. I'm Googling this now.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1452008376' post='2945446']I was going to suggest a course of antibiotics for the case but I guess it is too late and they will be immune.[/quote]

;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1452000296' post='2945329']
Anyone suffered this themselves?
[/quote]

Not me!
My bass case with mould on the tolex was not in the attic, but had been kept in the middle of the house. :o
(I just found it a few days ago, and concluded the walls of that built-in cupboard do not isolate well enough against an adjourning room with shower and washing machine - a room that's kept cold and with always open window. Time to rethink!)

Lightly spray with a mix of vinegar and water (making it 3 to 4 percent of pure vinegar, I think, but check the web first), and clean water afterwards.
I've used this method without adverse effects, and without smell afterwards (at least not after some days).
If there's no mould in the seams, I'd tape those before spraying though.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452013064' post='2945543']
This is why I'd never leave instruments in the loft. There was a thread recently, I thought it odd that people did. I was in our loft last night and it was freezing, in the summer it's ridiculously hot.
[/quote]

Same here. In our present house, thousands of books were ruined in the loft due to conditions like you describe.
Then again I guess many lofts are well insulated.
In fact, now I think of it, in Holland I lived right under the roof without any problem.

Edited by BassTractor

hi skol
has your lava lamp leaked up there? :P

It could just be the case, I had an old railway leather trunk that went moldy yet every thing else was ok.
but just incase...
A good check of any dampness, which you say you have done, but just damp air is enough
this could be a tear in the felt or a ridge tile misplaced cracking the joint or led flashing maybe surrounding the chimney stack or bathroom vent fan etc.
worth a quick check

Edited by funkgod

• 4 weeks later...

Ok... I know you've all been waiting with baited breath for the outcome of this tale!

I've since cleaned the case with a standard bleach solution. Smell has receded. No sign of the mold returning. All good.

I've also installed a couple of moisture traps in the loft to check the humidity up there. A few weeks on and they're pretty much bone dry... so the problem doesn't appear to be poor air circulation in the loft, but more likely mold spores already present in the case before I stashed it up there.

The moral of the story being: if you pick up a second hand hard case that smells a bit fusty, give it a good scrub over with bleach solution before stowing it away.

The End :)

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1454454302' post='2970004']
Thread title at 0:30

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raPS0NRXobo[/media]
[/quote]

:lol:
What a finale, reminds me of this one:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNKDOs6OAII"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNKDOs6OAII[/url]

Edited by PlungerModerno