Why become a member? ×

cheap 5 strings

John_P

I fancy trying a 5 string again, it isn't worth spending a lot to see if I can into it.

Any thoughts on some of the cheap models like this J&D
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-yc-150j-5-5-string-bass-guitar-black--210972

or this harley benton
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_550_qtb_progressive_series.htm

or a MM style from HB
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_5_sb_deluxe_series.htm

are these cheapie gig worthy or should I look out for a used bargain from a more traditional name brand?

If you can manage to scrape together a few more quid, these are excellent.
[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/sterling-by-music-man-sub-ray-5-electric-bass-guitar?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5f60pk0W7s36NzfrmkzIYfpIRXtBb_ABL_mZsi1NLBhEaApu58P8HAQ"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/sterling-by-music-man-sub-ray-5-electric-bass-guitar?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5f60pk0W7s36NzfrmkzIYfpIRXtBb_ABL_mZsi1NLBhEaApu58P8HAQ[/url]

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1451381880' post='2939950']
Those HB progressive basses come up as Dekos fairly often, actually getting one is a different matter.
But if you can get one it's a very cheap way of trying out a 5 string.
[/quote]

Mine actually was a deko. Still worth it if you do have to pay the whole hundred quid lol.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1451381639' post='2939945']
If you can manage to scrape together a few more quid, these are excellent.
[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/sterling-by-music-man-sub-ray-5-electric-bass-guitar?gclid=Cj0KEQiA-4i0BRCaudDcrrnDi6kBEiQAZSh5f60pk0W7s36NzfrmkzIYfpIRXtBb_ABL_mZsi1NLBhEaApu58P8HAQ"]http://www.dawsons.c...LBhEaApu58P8HAQ[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that - I could spend a lot more, just as a dabble at 5's again it isn't worth spending much if I can get away with it. I had thought of them but that price puts me into the same money as something even better used or a MM sire and I'd love a lakland (a mate has a few that I really like) but if these cheapo's are going to fall apart or have the necks bend and warp then it might be a cheap way in.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1451381880' post='2939950']
Those HB progressive basses come up as Dekos fairly often, actually getting one is a different matter.
But if you can get one it's a very cheap way of trying out a 5 string.
[/quote]

If I saw one as a demo I'd grab it! I suspect I'm not quite fast enough on the draw though lol

Any thoughts on the HB vs the J&D or are they the same quality?

I think one of the reasons the HBs turn up as dekos so often
is Thomann sell 1000s of them every month. Law of average at
work.
I've had some HBs for 2 year now with no problems, most bought
for full price and I was happy to do so. Decent bit of kit for
very little money. Remember there's 3 year warranty with them if
You ever need it.

I did just this myself about 6 months back , picked up an OLP mm3 5 string as a part exchange trade on here I'd strongly recommend one of these. i believe there called the olp MM3 cracking basses you can see why they were pulled by Ernie ball , they punch WAY WAY above there weight especially if your more of a passive guy like I am , massive and very usable sound .... and very tight string spaces so if your used to a jazz nut the neck isn't too much of a handful i believe the .string spacing is something like 16mm .

I think there definatly around 150-160 2nd hand and totally worth that.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1451436311' post='2940538']
I did just this myself about 6 months back , picked up an OLP mm3 5 string as a part exchange trade on here I'd strongly recommend one of these. i believe there called the olp MM3 cracking basses you can see why they were pulled by Ernie ball , they punch WAY WAY above there weight especially if your more of a passive guy like I am , massive and very usable sound .... and very tight string spaces so if your used to a jazz nut the neck isn't too much of a handful i believe the .string spacing is something like 16mm .

I think there definatly around 150-160 2nd hand and totally worth that.
[/quote]

Good call - I'll keep an eye out for one.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1451431094' post='2940504']
The Harley Benton PJ 5 comes up as a deco frequently, less than £50 delivered. Worth the full price too.
[/quote]

IMHO, mine isn't as a good a five string bass as my (old-style, big logo) Rockbass Streamer Standard 5. They really are in different price ranges if you compare the new prices, but second hand prices are much less different. The Rockbass needs some sort of boost to the signal as the passive output is very low, but comes alive through my Harley Benton Graphic EQ. Even if I boost the output of the PJ 5, it isn't such a good sound IMHO. They are different sounds so that may be comparing apples to oranges, but I think that the boosted Streamer sound is good, the PJ 5 ... if I was going to keep it forever, I'd change the pickups.

I'm no bass expert, but that's my opinion.

Just a suggestion AT. Have you tried playing with the volume as there's a marked drop in output with both HTR pickups on full. Certainly I'd no complaints about
output when used independently.

The PJ HTR is £95 but I don't see many Rockbass 5'er below £200,any on the bay are £300 for used.Mind John P says he don't want to throw much money at it .

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1451481631' post='2940820']
Just a suggestion AT. Have you tried playing with the volume as there's a marked drop in output with both HTR pickups on full. Certainly I'd no complaints about
output when used independently.

The PJ HTR is £95 but I don't see many Rockbass 5'er below £200,any on the bay are £300 for used.Mind John P says he don't want to throw much money at it .
[/quote]

Rockbass asking prices on ebay are notoriously high. Mine cost me £115 on here, but I've frequently seen them sell for £100 or less. The PJs sell for about £60-70 second hand, I think.

I'll try different volume settings on the PJ. However, I think I have done this in the past.

I picked up a white Harley Benton Progressive Deko 5 banger for the princely sum of £46 a few days ago inc postage and exchange rate conversion charge from my credit card company. Needed a truss rod tweak to get rid of a fret buzz on the B flat on the E string at the 7th fret and a neck shim to get the string height down but now that's done it plays perfectly. Action is just how I like it. Used it at rehearsal tonight for the first time at any volume and it sounds fantastic. Really pleased. I've designed a scratchplate for it and will get this professionally made so it looks the part. This is likely to cost as much as the bass lol. Really happy. Active 2 band eq with the option to go passive as well. The rest of the band couldn't believe what it cost - they suggested it was a ploy to get it past the wife!

I am extremely happy with my Yamaha TRBX305. Great build quality, playability and available sounds. Have received many positive comments on it. I've also found the Cort fivers to be excellent. I don't believe the hype that you need to fork out many hundreds for a 'useable' instrument.

Tobie

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1451520372' post='2941294']
I gig with an old Ibanez SRA305. The SR series are some of the best value-for-money 5-string basses out there for feel, tone and playability.
[/quote]

The Ibanez SR505's are great value for money.

It's actually crazy what Thomann are doing with those Harley Bentons (crazy good). They're doing a decently made instrument which looks really good for the price of a pedal. Good on them, and hopefully this will help the next few generations pick up a bass.

I'm having one of those fivers next, I reckon.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1451436311' post='2940538']
I did just this myself about 6 months back , picked up an OLP mm3 5 string as a part exchange trade on here I'd strongly recommend one of these.
[/quote]

Glad you are still enjoying my old OLP, lovely neck on that bass so a +1 from me!