Why become a member? ×

Scott Devine has some really good advice regarding GAS

miles'tone

Of course, I've heard great players make poor instruments sing, bad players sound like bad players regardless of their instrument's quality.

I love GAS though, I don't have unrealistic expectations about high end instruments improving me I just love getting to try all the gear I can.
I know it won't make me play like Bobby Vega but waiting for a new bass to turn up makes me feel like a kid at Christmas and I'm
happy to spend a few quid (or more) for that :)

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1450547905' post='2933838']

+ 1
[/quote]

Folks, I beg to differ. Marcus Miller couldn't do his thing with an off the shelf, no name bass with incredibly high action and dead strings. Which is what you get in generic guitar stores. It is physically impossible. That's why I am a bit allergic to generic advice and the it's all in the fingers stuff. If you're a teenager wanting to be Mark King and what you get for Xmas is a Precision with heavy gauge strings, it'll take you years to approach the sound, and you will never hear what you want. If you don't hear what you want, and people are saying what you guys say, you'll think it is your fault. It certainly may not inspire you to persevere.

It is not about cheap or expensive, but to know about basses. I don't think GAS is about cheap or expensive either. Now, let's face it: if there was absolutely no advantage in a high-end bass, no one would make them.

Edited by juliusmonk

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1450526239' post='2933588']
The main message I took away from the clip..which some people seem not to have received.. is that a high end bass, or one especially made for you, is not going to make you a better player.
[/quote]

I would completely disagree. As someone who owns a lot of high end basses including two that were made especially for me, I can categorically state that these basses very much do make me a better player, because compared with cheap basses I've played it is obvious to me that when I play them the only limitations for what I can do on them is 100% down to my lack of ability and not due to any limitations of the instrument.

Plus shiny nice things inspire me to play better.

I had a great MM Stingray from the earliy 80's or late 70's..never really found out which and whilst
it did me then... it was a block of wood...
I sold it because it was a 4 string but there is no way I could go back to it anyway.

But yes, sure, I guess we can remember that when we see the signature model in the shop at a premium. :lol:

Scott Devine usually has a great point to say but spends too long to get to said point. Which depending on what mood I'm in, I quite like his ramblings.

My thoughts on his point though would be as below.

People don't need expensive/boutique/handmade/custom bass. Expensive gear won't make bad players sound good but I do feel they will make a good player sound better. I could get away with what I play on any bass but quite frankly, I enjoy playing my basses. I am inspired to play more often when I'm using an instrument that I like. I've had many basses in the last 3 years and when I've had one that I really like I've definitely improved as a player.

Play whatever the hell you like but keep in mind that you are the one making the noises.

Could'nt help but think of the irony that this would help Karlfer's sale of his Nate Mendel bass hahah..
Great bass,great price sure, but there will be some who listen to the message, see the Nate Mendel in Scott's hands, see the Nate Mendel in Karlfer's add and their tiny minds will just WANT.!!! .message received and pow!!! copy cat gas !!!..Hahahah

Regardless, Hope it helps Karlfer, it's a really nice bass ,and after all, you can't beat a perfectly time endorsement from a pro like Scott and the message that that bass is every it as good as his custom shop relic pride and joy :)

Edited by Wonky2

I haven't watched the clip, but is this a case of "man who makes his living teaching bass says you should spend your money on lessons rather than gear"?

Good gear will not make you a better player but I do believe it will make you sound better regardless of your ability... Well unless your sid vicious obviously 😐

I take Scott's point, but an instrument that you bond with, that you think plays great and you think sounds good will make you play better IMO. OK, it might not have to expensive, but the search for 'your' instrument(s) should take up some of your time, it shows you care about what you sound like.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1450688402' post='2934797']
For me its about playing music and I play and enjoy playing a range of instruments and find a personality within each one. In terms of GAS - so long as you are not putting yourself or family under undue financial stress go for it, buy what you like and enjoy it.
[/quote]

True, but you need to remember Scott is generally talking to a load of folk who are new to the world of bass. Speaking as someone who is, I hope, getting past that stage, I think noobs are inclined to rush through buying a load of basses in the search for "that sound", when what's needed is a good bass that you bond with; Ezbass beat me to it.

Too many folk don't give themselves time to bond. Not enough folk try a different setup, change the strings, etc. Too many of us look for the answer to everything being on the pages of evilbay.

After all, what is ebay but an expensive raffle prize draw? You pay your money and pray that the new bass will:

1 - leave the owner ok
2 - arrive ok
3 - sound something like you hope it might.

Edited by Grangur

bootleg, on 21 December 2015 - 12:53 AM, said:
A Fodera Scott Devine signature model won't be out any time soon, then.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1450683655' post='2934749']

No, because he's an Overwater basses endorser.
[/quote]

I know. A joke. He can't have endeared himself to them, though. Felt like he realised that and started digging himself out of a hole.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1450558189' post='2933950']
Folks, I beg to differ. Marcus Miller couldn't do his thing with an off the shelf, no name bass with incredibly high action and dead strings. Which is what you get in generic guitar stores. It is physically impossible. That's why I am a bit allergic to generic advice and the it's all in the fingers stuff. If you're a teenager wanting to be Mark King and what you get for Xmas is a Precision with heavy gauge strings, it'll take you years to approach the sound, and you will never hear what you want. If you don't hear what you want, and people are saying what you guys say, you'll think it is your fault. It certainly may not inspire you to persevere.

It is not about cheap or expensive, but to know about basses. I don't think GAS is about cheap or expensive either. Now, let's face it: if there was absolutely no advantage in a high-end bass, no one would make them.
[/quote]
I think you took my point way out of context. I did not say 'You will sound just as good on cheaper gear'. I think higher end gear can improve your tone but my point was about if you are a good player you will sound good on anything. Not a Westfield/Encore will make you sound as good as a Fodera etc.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1450699155' post='2934910']
If you can afford it - kids (if you have them) are still eating then go for it. Buy what you want as you're a long time dead
[/quote]

I absolutely agree.. as long as you're experienced enough to know that what you want is actually what you need.

I disagree with him on 2 counts really.

1) GAS keeps my stoke up. It's part of the reason I keep playing bass. If I paid zero attention to the instrument and gear I use, I think I would get bored quickly. The same is true of many guitarists I know.

2) I'm lucky enough to have found a bass that just feels 'right' to me, like a comfy old pair of slippers. It took about 5 years chopping and changing to get to that point, but when it did, everything clicked. If it hadn't been for GAS i'd still be playing a 2006 MIM P bass that was ok, but I didn't love it. Did finding the right instrument make me a better player? Not immediately, but I certainly found playing easier and was encouraged to play more. If there was no GAS in the world, it would make finding that one instrument that people just click with very unlikely.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1450711754' post='2935087']
I disagree with him on 2 counts really.

1) GAS keeps my stoke up. It's part of the reason I keep playing bass. If I paid zero attention to the instrument and gear I use, I think I would get bored quickly. The same is true of many guitarists I know.

2) I'm lucky enough to have found a bass that just feels 'right' to me, like a comfy old pair of slippers. It took about 5 years chopping and changing to get to that point, but when it did, everything clicked. If it hadn't been for GAS i'd still be playing a 2006 MIM P bass that was ok, but I didn't love it. Did finding the right instrument make me a better player? Not immediately, but I certainly found playing easier and was encouraged to play more. If there was no GAS in the world, it would make finding that one instrument that people just click with very unlikely.
[/quote]

Fair point.