Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449914191' post='2927874']
With respect, no-one said that Jaco's music was a load of old bollocks. I don't particularly enjoy listening to him, in the main, and I do think there's a touch of "emperor's new clothes" about him harmonically, but I never denied his technical skill or influence - whether for good or not is another matter. I do resent the implication that we need to qualify to have an opinion on a matter of taste.

Bored now, let the Bass Police have their way
[/quote]

That would be a fair point, but a statement like 'Jaco sounds like someone noodling in a guitar shop' is nothing to do with taste. There is a difference between 'i don't like the way it sounds', and 'it's just a load of random notes that my aunt could come up with'.

I have opinions about many things. I think replacing the closet bend on my toilet is boring and requires little skill, but I would still rather get a plumber to do it, because I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to plumbing. Both the plumber and I are entitled to our opinions about my toilet, and on an internet forum, we have an equal voice. But ultimately the plumber's opinion is a lot more valuable than mine, and I know who I'd rather trust to clear the terrifying blockage in my house.

You missed the essential bit - "sounds like". Quite often jazz musicians do disappear up their own cleverness and end up SOUNDING exactly like that. However clever they may know themselves to be, in the end music happens in the ears of the audience.

Last point I would make is that you give the plumbers opinion weight on the basis of your own ignorance. You don't presume his ignorance on the basis of him not agreeing with you on a matter of taste. REALLY bored now

Edited by neilp

So in summary, Your Honour...

It is entirely possible not to like a musician/artist and their music/playing and still have the wherewithal to respect their talent.

It should also be entirely possible to state that one does not like a certain musician/artist without being made to feel that this opinion is somehow not worthy (though when offering such an opinion it may be better to try and find a better/different construct than, say, "aimless noodling" or "Emperor's new clothes"..).

Straight from the court of Judge Fudge..

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449918885' post='2927927']
You missed the essential bit - "sounds like". Quite often jazz musicians do disappear up their own cleverness and end up SOUNDING exactly like that. However clever they may know themselves to be, in the end music happens in the ears of the audience.

Last point I would make is that you give the plumbers opinion weight on the basis of your own ignorance. You don't presume his ignorance on the basis of him not agreeing with you on a matter of taste. REALLY bored now
[/quote]

None of this makes sense to me (apart from the 'bored' bit), but let's agree to disagree. I'm off to unblock my toilet, and noodle on my bass. Musically, both of those activities will probably sound the same.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1449917914' post='2927912']
That would be a fair point, but a statement like 'Jaco sounds like someone noodling in a guitar shop' is nothing to do with taste. There is a difference between 'i don't like the way it sounds', and 'it's just a load of random notes that my aunt could come up with'.
[/quote]
Refer to the OP:
[quote] to me it was just disjointed... It sounded like I'd just walked into any guitar shop in the world... Aimless noodling...
[/quote]
The operative words are "to me". It's an OPINION, as in "I don't like the way it sounds", not a statement of fact like "Jaco sounds like...". You're having a pop at the OP on the basis of your misinterpretation of what he actually said.

The OP then asked for some guidance, "Anyone got any suggestions that may change my mind?" which I feel shows his openness to being swayed in his initial take on JP's playing. That sounds pretty open minded to me and the point of the thread, which has been met (numerous suggestions having been offered). Maybe we should now wait and see if, after subsequent listening, the OP thinks any differently.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1449925376' post='2928030']
Maybe we should now wait and see if, after subsequent listening, the OP thinks any differently.
[/quote]

Oh how very considerate of you.
I say burn him, stone him, tie him up and chuck him in a river, give him a chinese burn, I dunno, let's do something.
My torch is lit and my pitchfork sharpened.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1449926621' post='2928049']
When it comes down to it, I have never met a half decent bass player (regardless of genre) in the real world who isn’t a Jaco fan or at least appreciative of his contribution to music / modern bass playing.
[/quote]

And another insinuation that if you aren't a fan or don't appreciate Jacos contribution then you can't even be a half decent player.
The comments of others, in and out of the music business, would suggest I'm at least a half decent player yet Jaco has never registered on my radar. I have, since this thread, listened to him but along with Stanley Clarke his music makes me whince.
Whether he's 'all that' or not I don't care, but you don't have to to be a 'half decent player'.
Most of the players held up as 'bass gods' on heres music ranges from being strongly disliked by me to making me recoil when I hear it, bar a couple, but that's not a problem as there's masses of other music for me to enjoy.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1449927798' post='2928068']

And another insinuation that if you aren't a fan or don't appreciate Jacos contribution then you can't even be a half decent player.
The comments of others, in and out of the music business, would suggest I'm at least a half decent player yet Jaco has never registered on my radar. I have, since this thread, listened to him but along with Stanley Clarke his music makes me whince.
Whether he's 'all that' or not I don't care, but you don't have to to be a 'half decent player'.
Most of the players held up as 'bass gods' on heres music ranges from being strongly disliked by me to making me recoil when I hear it, bar a couple, but that's not a problem as there's masses of other music for me to enjoy.
[/quote]

Pretty much my thoughts too Maude.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1449926621' post='2928049']
When it comes down to it, I have never met a half decent bass player (regardless of genre) in the real world who isn’t a Jaco fan or at least appreciative of his contribution to music / modern bass playing.
[/quote]

You need to meet more people, including bassists.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449924182' post='2928013']
Refer to the OP:

The operative words are "to me". It's an OPINION, as in "I don't like the way it sounds", not a statement of fact like "Jaco sounds like...".
[/quote]

Yeah, apart from the fact that it's followed by literally that exact statement of fact, which is what people picked up on:

[quote name='AinsleyWalker' timestamp='1449496563' post='2923995']
"it sounded like I'd just walked into any guitar shop in the world... Aimless noodling...
[/quote]

Anyway none of this is that important. I just saw people ganging up on someone and thought I'd speak up for them, its not a big deal.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1449930403' post='2928100']
You need to meet more people, including bassists.
[/quote]
+1 Like many of the [i]names[/i] that come up on here I have to google them, even then they are often only known to a certain group of people, how many bassists are true household names? Jaco is not one of them, knock on all the doors in your street and check, I would put a genuine £50 of my own money on this being fact! Macca and Sting, Lemmy, Mark king if they are over 40 years old after that they are mostly only household names in households where 50 plus year old bassists live.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449933858' post='2928138']
+1 Like many of the [i]names[/i] that come up on here I have to google them, even then they are often only known to a certain group of people, how many bassists are true household names? Jaco is not one of them, knock on all the doors in your street and check, I would put a genuine £50 of my own money on this being fact! Macca and Sting, Lemmy, Mark king if they are over 40 years old after that they are mostly only household names in households where 50 plus year old bassists live.
[/quote]

No one is a 'household name', by which I take you to mean commonly known, for being a bassist, not even McCartney. Insofar as McCartney is a 'household name' it's for being a Beatle, a singer, a musician, but most people don't even know what a bass is, and there is no reason why they should. Same goes for Sting. Pastorius is, in those terms, an obscurity.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1449927798' post='2928068']
[/quote]
If you are as accomplished a player as you seem to be insinuating, I am genuinely surprised that you are that unaware of JP. I am not suggesting every bass player should have to take a test or be able to play a flawless version of Teen Town before they are allowed to take a gig, but I thought that they might at least be aware of one of the most influential and celebrated bass players ever! Might be an age thing…!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1449938073' post='2928198']
Or more likely a genre thing.
[/quote]
Not really - I've been playing hard rock with the occasional foray into blues for the past 35 years. Fusion (and particularly jazz) is not really my thing...

Edited by peteb