Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney bass playing

The-Ox

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449692249' post='2926087']
I'll bet I have favourite players you dont like Blue, in which case would you knock bass playing on the head?
[/quote]

I have always been able to find something I like about all bass players.

And unlike some,I am keen not to comment on musicians and bass players I know little about.

Blue

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449697443' post='2926157']
At what point does there point become valid though? I've listened to a lot of jaco and to me it is still mindless noodling in the main, if I'd never listened and said that is agree its trolling but if you have listened and dislike it that is a fair comment imo?
[/quote]

I'd still keep that sort of opinion to myself because to some your still going to sound foolish.

Blue

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449692249' post='2926087']
I'll bet I have favourite players you dont like Blue, in which case would you knock bass playing on the head?
[/quote]

There would be something about your favorite bass players I would like and more than likely could learn something from.

I wouldn't make flippant remarks about any bass player I know little to nothing about. I certainly wouldn't post a negative opinion based on nothing more than a few songs I had half way listened to.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1449574596' post='2924716']
If we're discussing whether young people are getting into the Beatles, I should point out that my 16 year old stepson loves them and listens to them a lot more than I do (I like them, but there is so much other music I'm enthused about that I don't put them on often). That's a tiny sample, but young Beatle fans are clearly out there.
[/quote]

That's great that some young peeps listen to them.

However;

Do they understand what The Beatles did,when they did it and how they did it.

Could they articulate who The Beatles are and where they fit into music history.

Those are The questions I ask young people when they comment on The Beatles.

Blue

Absolute genius in my eyes - one of the most influential bassists ever and deservedly so, and that's even before you take into account his songwriting ability and aptitude for other instruments.

I saw him in 2011 for the first time and it was just incredible.

I cannot for the life of me nail "I Saw Her Standing There" though, absolutely solid! (I'm a mediocre player though and that's being kind! :D )

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449705147' post='2926241']

That's great that some young peeps listen to them.

However;

Could they articulate who The Beatles are and where they fit into music history.

Those are The questions I ask young people when they comment on The Beatles.

Blue
[/quote]

I'd just rather let them enjoy it!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449704369' post='2926233']

I'd still keep that sort of opinion to myself because to some your still going to sound foolish.

Blue
[/quote]

So basically you are saying is if you don't like him you haven't listened enough yet? I'm not sure I can take enough to get over the crest into the zone of liking his music and there is already so much music out there I do enjoy.

Lol, it's always the same when these McCartney threads pop-up.
Not sure it's a matter of liking or not, You should be mature enough to give talent, credit where it's due, despite of it's genre, you don't have to like it to appreciate what's going on.

Personally I never really thought much of him as a bass player because he wasn't out there sticking it in your face..
Many years later I decided to try and work through some of it and gave it a better listen in context of the songs and couldn't help but be blown away :)

I like Skanks Macca more above ...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449691906' post='2926080']
Yes continue. Pastorius is over the heads of most of us. We all get McCartney, well, except for the OP.

Blue
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449691718' post='2926077']
Not trolling at all. If the OPs comments are for real, I really think he would be better off taking up a different musical instrument.It's only a suggestion something to consider.

Blue
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449691403' post='2926070']
This is a special case for the OP only.

Blue
[/quote]
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449691303' post='2926069']
That would work for most bass players. However, the OP states he doesn't feel anything when he listens to McCartney 's bass playing.

And remember, the OP doesn't recognize McCartney as a bass player.

Blue
[/quote]

just to remind you Blue, I am the OP, and have never said any of those things, I am a fan of Macca. Please check back to who you are referring to

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1449747414' post='2926412']
just to remind you Blue, I am the OP, and have never said any of those things, I am a fan of Macca. Please check back to who you are referring to
[/quote]

Perhaps the O stands for oblivious in the world of blue?

Edited by EBS_freak

As the guy who taught Johann Sebastian Bach to compose, and taught Mozart, Miles Davis, Bill Bruford and thousands of others too BTW, I can only add that everyone but me can just hang their instruments in the willows.
If you really are into the work done by these backward simpletons Paul McCartney and Jaco Pastorius, then you just haven't got it, you indiscriminate trolls!
;)

Worded more seriously:
There exists a concept that I don't know the name of, but it's drawn like a triangle: at the bottom of it is the knowledge/insight that roughly is shared by everyone. As you get closer to its top, fewer and fewer people will possess that level of knowledge/insight. Close to the top you have those few who know and understand most.
Of course stuff in the real world is more complicated, but that does not really matter.

The point is that some people out there could "rightfully" say, if they wanted, that everyone on BC should hang up their basses and do something more appropriate. I'm sure we would [b]all[/b] appreciate...
:rolleyes:

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449733935' post='2926297']
So basically you are saying is if you don't like him you haven't listened enough yet? I'm not sure I can take enough to get over the crest into the zone of liking his music and there is already so much music out there I do enjoy.
[/quote]

:lol: You've dissed the man..or are in that territory.

I'm not a fan ..but that isn't allowed apparently.

I'd say we had Beatles 45's in the house... I've had to play loads of their songs
so I think I'm not oblivious to his style....especially as I can digest stylistic things very well
IMO.

I've said a few other things..which are up there and I'll stand by them..for sure,
I just don't feel the need to repeat them.

They are in this thread, I haven't deleted them.
I expect some have a different opinion..... that is fine by me.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449705147' post='2926241']

[/quote]

Most people are aware of this to some extent, aren't they? In England, anyway. I think even the younguns, if they're not even aware of the songs know of the Beatles as 'special' for what they did.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1449769555' post='2926714']
I never liked Nirvana. Is there an instrument I should give up, and if so which one?
[/quote]

Can I suggest giving up the guiro? It's basically a useless and pointless instrument which isn't in the least bit musical and doesn't even seem to exist, as far as I can tell at any rate, outside of the school music room anyway. The horrible raspy noise it makes has always set my teeth on edge too so in fact if everyone could kindly give up playing it whether they like Nirvana or not I'd sincerely appreciate it!

Sorry, what we're we talking about?

Mr Blue, whoever you are, you're really getting a bit tiresome about all of this. I studied at the Royal College of Music. If I can write sensibly about Stockhausen and tone-rows, then I think my tiny brain can just about cope with Jaco's noodling and Macca's rather naive use of passing notes and modalities. Your opinion is no more valid than mine or anyone else's. How do you know how long I've spent listening to MCartney or Pastorius (or Jamerson, Berlin, East, Levin, John Paul Jones, Bruce, Squire.......)?

John Deacon stopped for the greater good. We should praise him...

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449773432' post='2926746']
Mr Blue, whoever you are, you're really getting a bit tiresome about all of this. I studied at the Royal College of Music. If I can write sensibly about Stockhausen and tone-rows, then I think my tiny brain can just about cope with Jaco's noodling and Macca's rather naive use of passing notes and modalities. Your opinion is no more valid than mine or anyone else's. How do you know how long I've spent listening to MCartney or Pastorius (or Jamerson, Berlin, East, Levin, John Paul Jones, Bruce, Squire.......)?

John Deacon stopped for the greater good. We should praise him...
[/quote]

Like button

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449772464' post='2926732']
Krist Novoselic listened to some Jaco, didn't like it and decided it best if he stopped playing, John Deacon followed suit.
[/quote]

The whole story about Entwistle and the hooker was a cover too. News had it that when he was found dead on the bed, he had some earphones in... when they took them out of his ears to see what he was listening too.... yup, you guessed it. He just knew that he was beat and had to give up there and then.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1449765456' post='2926665']
Nirvana was special too.

Not a fan of their music. But what they did was really important.

In a sea of bubblegum pop sh1tness, they made guitars and independent music cool again.
[/quote]

Yeah, good example. Like Hendrix, most people know these guys were game changers even if you don't know the music and are generally respected for it.