Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney bass playing

The-Ox

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449481220' post='2923784']
You're right there - Wings didn't do very well, really. And his solo career flopped quite badly, didn't it?

Or both... I (and I'm sure millions of people worldwide) still listen to Beatles records extensively. Even if you don't like what they did you can't ignore the massive influence they had and still have on subsequent musicians and writers to this day and that continues.

[/quote]

Yes, Wings never lived up to The Beatles....or anywhere near it..??
but then he didn't really need another body of work..and some would say,
he didn't get it anyway.. :lol:

I'm sure many people do still re-live their stuff... good luck to those.

I never said I didn't like what they did... I just said things have moved on.

How much on an influence they are today..?? depends if you talk to a 60 yr songwriter
or a 17 yr old...I'd say.

I think writers should be aware of their stuff... but no big deal if they aren't.

I think they were fab for their time..but Lennon never lived to prove he had
anywhere else to go, and PM ...well, decide yourself.
I don't think his solo writing gets anywhere near the same planet as the Beatles songs
..and neither did Lennon's, for that matter.
Maybe Imagine ..??
Mull of Kintyre..??............ er..!!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449497160' post='2924016']

I don't take a band that was finished 45 yrs plus as a reference, tbh...
just like I wouldn't dream of playing 'Come together' the same way.

So, yes, I got over them eons ago.. whether that is sacriledge to some,..??
oh well...!!
[/quote]

Not you - I mean the entertainment industry as a whole. They still cast a huge shadow over it.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1449502387' post='2924122']
Seems to have had an innately good feel for a melody line from fairly early on even though he didn't start as a bass player.
[/quote]

He had 'melodic' at a time that bass in popular music was a bit more formal.. and he also had license to indulge
as they were the biggest thing around from about 1964 onwards..?? and when that money filtered through.

The original question was "what does he do well?" which i understood to mean what has he done well as not aware if he is producing as much output as in the past.

At the time his bass lines must have been truly innovative as a lot of tunes were mainly root and 5. He articulated melody/counter melody with his lines which was a large component of the Beatles being able to write more interesting tunes. It was different and he did it well. We all have so many references now and with YouTube we can access different styles and genres in a flash. Back in his heyday there was none of that which makes his style and the ability to pull it off all the more impressive. So for me, what he did well was melody and innovation.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449480327' post='2923762']
My point is that his bass work isn't current now and neither are his songs.
Some people would say he never did anything after the Beatles..
I'd agree.

Respect him for his valid output..but I reckon that stopped in 1969..
Nothing wrong with that and he has a body of work that will last for many many more years
but things move on.

Would you go and see him now..? or put on his Beatles records.. or neither?
[/quote]I'd say this post isn't current or valid.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449497679' post='2924027']
How much on an influence they are today..?? depends if you talk to a 60 yr songwriter
or a 17 yr old...I'd say.

I think they were fab for their time.
[/quote]

My opinion, They were fab for their time and any other time including today and tomorrow.

The 60 year old should know his influences. The 17 year old should know anyone standing on stage post 1964 with an electric guitar was influenced by The Beatles whether they are willing to admit it or not.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449520165' post='2924348']
My opinion, They were fab for their time and any other time including today and tomorrow.

The 60 year old should know his influences. The 17 year old should know anyone standing on stage post 1964 with an electric guitar was influenced by The Beatles whether they are willing to admit it or not.

Blue
[/quote]

How so... how am I influenced, for example.

I've heard a good few tracks, played a few more...never owned an album.

I'm closer to 60 than 17 of course, but they wrote some good/great songs..
but I fail to see why and how I MUST be influenced by them.

I could say I am influenced by Fraser, MM and Jaco, for sure... but
there is nothing in my playing that came from the Beatles, I'm sure.
And since he didn't register as a bass player for me...why on earth
must he be an influence..?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449480327' post='2923762']
My point is that his bass work isn't current now and neither are his songs.

Respect him for his valid output..but I reckon that stopped in 1969..
Nothing wrong with that and he has a body of work that will last for many many more years
but things move on.

Would you go and see him now..? or put on his Beatles records.. or neither?

[/quote]
I don't think you can dismiss something just because of its age. I'm sure there will be youngsters listening to his basslines and the Beatles' music for inspiration aongside more contemporary performers. He's been doing this for over 50 years so there's bound to be ups and downs. Reminds me of that old saying, 'form is temporary, class is permanent.'

[quote name='upside downer' timestamp='1449521812' post='2924370']
I don't think you can dismiss something just because of its age. I'm sure there will be youngsters listening to his basslines and the Beatles' music for inspiration aongside more contemporary performers. He's been doing this for over 50 years so there's bound to be ups and downs. Reminds me of that old saying, 'form is temporary, class is permanent.'
[/quote]
That is fair.... I just wouldn't go with the class comment myself, but there you go... :lol:

But I will remember to ask a few up and commer gtrs who they listened to... my guess it would
be 70's players rather than the Beatles. I think it would be a decent bet, as it happens.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1449432220' post='2923500']

Clearly you missed the point I was trying to make. The OP asked "what is McCartney good at?" Blue said "everything" hence the suggestion that he can play in any style well. So I listed a few styles that he would probably struggle with to illustrate the point that absolutely nobody can do that. I can do 2 styles really well, but as for the rest..... maybe less so. As it happens, I find Stu Hamm somewhat self indulgent at times but you can't fault his technical skills. It's not about being remembered, to which your post is completely correct as his songs have stood the test of time.

I took what Blue said literally as opposed to what he meant which was "what he does, he does well." Simple isn't it? Blue is a fan, as am I.
[/quote]

Everything with in reason.

And be proud he's your treasure. We didn't and don't have a Paul McCartney.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449521315' post='2924361']
How so... how am I influenced, for example.

I've heard a good few tracks, played a few more...never owned an album.

I'm closer to 60 than 17 of course, but they wrote some good/great songs..
but I fail to see why and how I MUST be influenced by them.

I could say I am influenced by Fraser, MM and Jaco, for sure... but
there is nothing in my playing that came from the Beatles, I'm sure.
And since he didn't register as a bass player for me...why on earth
must he be an influence..?
[/quote]

For one, post 1964 most people didn't even know what an electric bass guitar was until they saw Paul. Who ever your influences are if you follow the trail back far enough you will find Paul.

I am sure Jaco was influenced by Paul.

I am adamant about this, if you don't get Paul's playing or his influence on several generations of bass players, it means your missing a very key element to pop music, song writing and bass playing overall.

And here's another part of my opinion. If your standing up playing an electric bass guitar your influenced by Paul McCartney, period!

Now, with that being said, it's only my opinion.

And by the way, there is another thread on Bass Chat about Jaco. The poster hears aimless noodling when he listens to Jaco. What do you think of that?

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449522998' post='2924391']
That is fair.... I just wouldn't go with the class comment myself, but there you go... :lol:

But I will remember to ask a few up and commer gtrs who they listened to... my guess it would
be 70's players rather than the Beatles. I think it would be a decent bet, as it happens.
[/quote]

I can't think of a better word to describe Paul, "Class"

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449522998' post='2924391']

[/quote]

I don't hear much guitar in pop music these days. My question is are there any up and coming rock guitarists?

And it could be generational. For my generation we listened to George and we listened to Chuck Berry. There wasn't a lot rock guitar going on at the time.

Blue

If we're discussing whether young people are getting into the Beatles, I should point out that my 16 year old stepson loves them and listens to them a lot more than I do (I like them, but there is so much other music I'm enthused about that I don't put them on often). That's a tiny sample, but young Beatle fans are clearly out there.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449542786' post='2924530']
For one, post 1964 most people didn't even know what an electric bass guitar was until they saw Paul. Who ever your influences are if you follow the trail back far enough you will find Paul.

I am sure Jaco was influenced by Paul.

I am adamant about this, if you don't get Paul's playing or his influence on several generations of bass players, it means your missing a very key element to pop music, song writing and bass playing overall.

And here's another part of my opinion. If your standing up playing an electric bass guitar your influenced by Paul McCartney, period!

Now, with that being said, it's only my opinion.

And by the way, there is another thread on Bass Chat about Jaco. The poster hears aimless noodling when he listens to Jaco. What do you think of that?

Blue
[/quote]

Yes, only your opinion and one I just don't agree with.

Bass didn't begin with PM.. but pop bass may have been made more popular by him IF you listened to him.

I didn't, I heard the Beatles and I heard their songs.. and he just happened to play bass on a few of them.

I don't even regard him as a bass player.... tbh. Just not someone on my radar.

I'm not being dismissive of a massive body of work... but whatever he does doesn't do it for me.
I'd listen to the song because it is a good song... the bass does nothing for me.

Their legacy is as Lennon/Mcartney, songwriters, IMO..and it stands beside or possible above Motown as an era or
outstanding work.

That's all. If he means the world to you...fine.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1449317077' post='2922505']

With respect, that's absolute rubbish. Nobody does everything well.
[/quote]

To be fair, saying 'nobody does everything well', is absolute rubbish!

I'm sure what Blue was referring to was that in his own style Macca does everything very well. He is a top musician. Why on earth would he want to play slap bass?! It's irrelevant whether he can or not as he'd have no use for it.

Edited to say I'm not against the slappers. Just that, like finger or pick style, some players have no use for it and their ability shouldn't be judged because of that.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449576246' post='2924740']

Yes, only your opinion and one I just don't agree with.

Bass didn't begin with PM..

That's all. If he means the world to you...fine.
[/quote]

For many of us electric bass guitar did start with PM.

He means the world to me, however I have many other favorites and influences.

Blue