Why become a member? ×

How do I raise a cab off the floor?

Dandelion

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1446645793' post='2901072']
Would this do the trick?
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-folding-Step-Stool-Colours/dp/B002UYPZ04"]http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002UYPZ04[/url]
[/quote]

Brilliant - i'm getting one of them there stools for meself

They stop the booming that you can get on some stages. I`ve not got one but did use one at the Herts Bass Bash - a before and after kindof thing, and it was very apparent at what it does. Seemed just like adding in a compressor/limiter to control hard-hitting, suddenly the tone really comes through without the associated "flub".

Something which i suspect could be done with 2" of polystyrene slab

Just mosey down to your local independant fridge/cooker/hoover leccy sales shop and ask them for some polystyrene packing from inside one of their fridge shipping boxes.

Its usually free

Edited by fleabag

What about a hiab?

I got a length of acoustic drum riser foam & cut it in half & placed them under the cab anytime I was on a wooden stage.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1446649960' post='2901148']
Skyhooks? ;)
[/quote]
Believe it or not, there is such a thing as skyhooks.
I had a set for using to assemble a Ferris wheel.
They're 2 3' long rods bent to a spiral hook at one end & joined by a steel ring at the other. They attach to the end of a spoke & the ring gets attached to a snap block to pull the wheel around whilst putting on further spokes (arms).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1446652408' post='2901178']
They stop the booming that you can get on some stages. I`ve not got one but did use one at the Herts Bass Bash - a before and after kindof thing, and it was very apparent at what it does. Seemed just like adding in a compressor/limiter to control hard-hitting, suddenly the tone really comes through without the associated "flub".
[/quote]

I bet that would be good then for like wooden/hollow stages.

The OP doesn't say why they want to raise the cab off the floor, however I'll chime in with something possibly totally irrelevant anyway... I had a situation where I wanted to get a cab isolated in some way from a very boomy hollow wooden stage, and angle it back a bit at the same time. I found there's quite a few places on the web where you can buy foam for furniture in different densities cut to size in varying shapes. I bought one that was an inch at the back, three inches at the front, in a dense black foam. I think it was about ten quid including postage. It's not as dense as the auralex stuff by any means, but the cab was stable, and it did help with the boom from the stage.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1446655102' post='2901208']
I bet that would be good then for like wooden/hollow stages.
[/quote]

I have a piece of acoustic foam a couple of inches thick, possibly 16" square, which I take to every gig. Any even vaguely hollow stages/floors, it goes under the cabs and really does prevent the resonant booming. No need to spend the money on a Gramma - the principle's very sound, you can do it for a couple of quid.

The only proviso I'd add is I wouldn't put a 1x15 and 4x10 stack on foam - for one it'd compress down an awful lot, and it might be a little unstable, but I stack a couple of 112s (and previously 2 Barefaced cabs) no problem.

Not cheap at £50 but takes 150kg/23 stone so [i]more[/i] than sturdy enough even for old school cabs and valve amps and handy for standing on to pin up backdrops etc. http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-hop-up-work-platform-aluminium/38093

It's overkill for the OP I guess but thought it worth mentioning here anyway. There's probably cheaper versions too.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1446654292' post='2901197']
I got a length of acoustic drum riser foam & cut it in half & placed them under the cab anytime I was on a wooden stage.
[/quote]

Exactly what I did, works a treat. I started a thread about it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224651-the-cab-now-arriving-at-platfoam-3/page__p__2308648__hl__platfoam__fromsearch__1#entry2308648"]here[/url].

However, the latest scientific research shows that the best stand for a bass cab is another (matching) cab*.

[size=2]*Just to be clear, I made this up.[/size]

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1446652526' post='2901180']
Something which i suspect could be done with 2" of polystyrene slab

Just mosey down to your local independant fridge/cooker/hoover leccy sales shop and ask them for some polystyrene packing from inside one of their fridge shipping boxes.

Its usually free
[/quote]

Exactly what i use to decouple my speakers at home.

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1446727007' post='2901768']
Not cheap at £50 but takes 150kg/23 stone so [i]more[/i] than sturdy enough even for old school cabs and valve amps and handy for standing on to pin up backdrops etc. http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-hop-up-work-platform-aluminium/38093

It's overkill for the OP I guess but thought it worth mentioning here anyway. There's probably cheaper versions too.
[/quote]

+1

I use one of these every gig for my 210. Folds up tiny & looks great covered in black gaffer.

I've posted this a lot of times but this is what I use. It's a Gator mixer stand. No rumble off the stage (Apart from the fact that it's a Fender Rumble :D ) , still plenty of bass and I don't need to have it as loud as I would if it was pointed at my ankles

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20150718_202306_zpstvamlu0g.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Delberthot