Why become a member? ×

The Great British Bass Lounge

andy67

Hope its cool to post this :)

Just to say the guys from GBBL are awesome! I bought a Ray 34 TBS and have to say I'm gobsmacked at the condition (used), price, service and delivery! Quality all over! Drew was on holiday when I made my first query but he made time to chat with me and talk me through the process! Never have I purchased with great confidence and felt as important as a customer. Brilliant experience.

Thought I'd share

Andy

I have to drive pretty much past the front door on my way to/from work. It's a bloody marvel I'm not miles poorer!

I've bought a bass, practice amp and other bits from Drew and it's always been great service. Happy to let me try every toy in the shop and never even glanced at his watch.

I'm still in shock re the service! ;) honestly the single best experience I have had when buying a bass. The bass itself although used, looks brand new! Must stick it through a decontamination/sterilisation chamber in order to make it look pristine! In Drew's words "its a minter" it is that!

• 1 year later...

Another post in praise of Drew at GBBL. I needed a truss rod cover to complete my newly acquired Cort A5 Custom SP. This wasn't an easy item to acquire but as GBBL are Cort dealers Drew persevered and the bass is sporting its new cover. The good stores are the ones that serve their customers no matter how small the request.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1479853429' post='3179872']
Such a shame that they're calling it a day. :(
[/quote]

Just been on the site to check this out and see that Drew is retiring and selling the business as a going concern. Hopefully whoever takes it on will provide the same excellent and personal service.

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1479892646' post='3180022']
Yes, it is a shame. I was hoping to take a trip at some point early next year as I'm fairly (ish) local.
[/quote]

I expect GBBL will still be running, early next year.
I think Drew has given it 18 months or so, to sort things out.

What a shame though,
Great shop, great bloke.

Yep - reverse auctions are good, some real giveaways. Sadly - as Drew has said: he has lowered some prices towards Trade and still not being snapped up. The used market and the fall in currency combine to make a lot of new gear too pricey for people worried about splashing out. Regardless of value for money - £1.5k on a shiny bass or amp/cab is a lot of money for almost anyone.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1480411984' post='3184074']
I suspect the recent drop of the £ and the increases in prices has made instruments very difficult to sell, even if it is indirectly, e.g. the price of the instrument hasn't changed, but people have less spare income or are being much more careful.
[/quote]

I know we're not supposed to mention this, and that some people refuse to accept that it had any effect, but our sales dropped 42% in the 6 weeks post June 23.

In the 6 months before that we were up about 6% year on year (and this was from a high base in 2015).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1480419886' post='3184184']

I know we're not supposed to mention this, and that some people refuse to accept that it had any effect, but our sales dropped 42% in the 6 weeks post June 23.

In the 6 months before that we were up about 6% year on year (and this was from a high base in 2015).
[/quote]

A huge shame :(