Why become a member? ×

Why are so many bass players using the SUB or Lo bass button these days?

jazzyvee

I've noticed that many of the local gigs I go to regardless of the genre, bass rigs always seem to have the sub bass button pressed in. By that I mean the button like on ashdowns that adds an octave of the note being played to your sound. Are the basses players use these days so bass shy that this is standard practice. I see them all the time on back line rigs provided for us and even though we are a reggae band I always turn them off.
Recently I was rehearsing with a band as a Dep and the bass rig had a Lo in and it really made the sound incredibly muddy.

Am I missing something?

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1442923935' post='2870540']
I've noticed that many of the local gigs I go to regardless of the genre, bass rigs always seem to have the sub bass button pressed in. By that I mean the button like on ashdowns that adds an octave of the note being played to your sound. Are the basses players use these days so bass shy that this is standard practice. I see them all the time on back line rigs provided for us and even though we are a reggae band I always turn them off.
Recently I was rehearsing with a band as a Dep and the bass rig had a Lo in and it really made the sound incredibly muddy.

Am I missing something?
[/quote]

No you are right. It's been said here many times, but too much bass is not good for your sound. For a fatter sound I boost the mids, and for dubby I roll off the tone pot on the bass. Too much 'LO' fills the room with boom™ but makes it hard to distinguish the note being played.

Edited by JapanAxe

Depends on the venue really
Sometimes it can help add greater depth to the sound

But I agree, yes, it is often over-used and can cause a lot of boom, making distinction between low notes difficult
Part of the problem, is that the button is there, so some will just use it regardless - thinking it boosts volume
and partly, the problem with bass is that you can't really hear it too clearly when you're right in front of, or next to it
So it the audience near the back who get the full blast / effect

Mostly, audiences can't distinguish why something sounds boomy
or where the problem emanates from.....

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1442929224' post='2870628']
I've never owned or played through a rig with a "sub button".

[/quote]

I have an unsettling picture of a roadie in a gimp mask being summoned. :blink:

It should be labelled the 'rumbly indistinctivator' button from whenever I've come across an amp with one of these buttons fitted.

After having an Ashdown for years and mucking about with that sub octave button, I dont think it adds anything decent to the sound. I think the effect on the Ashdown was poor and this was made worse by having to use it as an always on type effect.
I have (better) octavers in my signal chain, but I think having effects in bass amps is a bit tricky as they encourage 'always on' use and the ones ive heard arent always good/usable, far from it actually.
I think its just a USP, theres better sounds, even muddy sounds, you can get elsewhere but its always rocknroll hitting the sub button.

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1443008953' post='2871358']
I use these "demon" buttons. Not the Ashdown sub one but the Ampeg Ultra Low (on occasions) and the Aguilar Low switch.

I really like the depth it can give sometimes.
[/quote]

Yes, I used an Ashdown in a rehearsal room a few years back
Didn't like the Sub button on that
But I had an Ampeg head with low button - and that sounded pretty good

On several occasions, it even sounded great
But again, depending on the room / venue, sometimes it just added rumbling noise...

Also some amps have a bass boost button (e.g. Ampeg, GK) which is not the same as the sub/octaver found in amps like Ashdown. But people press them as they think they are playing bass so therefore need lots of bass.

If you can buy a bass rig with an inbuilt octaver, can you also buy one with an inbuilt fuzz, chorus, flanger, and envelope filter?
[/quote]

My first amp did! A Line 6 Lowdown. Also the Markbass MultiAmp has all this and more, there are probably a few others out there (TC Toneprints and Kemper Profiler spring to mind).

I reckon some players struggle to hear themselves and assume that more bass eq and more volume will sort it out. Instead it makes in into a boomy mess. I also think they don't distinguish between what sounds good at low volume and what works in a live mix. It probably seems counter-intuitive to turn bass down to make it easier to hear.

Speaking from (personal) experience, I don't think some people realise it's actually an octave effect. Took me a while of using random Ashdowns at 4-5 band gigs (no time to figure out all the knobs before playing) before realising at a rehearsal space using a combo with time to mess around. A *massive* facepalm moment for sure, but there you go. More obvious on the higher strings.

I've never owned or played through a rig with a "sub button".

If you can buy a bass rig with an inbuilt octaver, can you also buy one with an inbuilt fuzz, chorus, flanger, and envelope filter?
[/quote]

I had an Ashdown Mag300 for a year or so and always thought that the sub octave button was a pointless gimmick.it didn't track too well as you got down towards (for me) normal playing positions and as o there have said was just a mud fest. The low preshape was more than enough give extra bass.

My GK head has a Deep switch.. at front room volumes and through a small cab it adds a really nice fatness to the sound. At gigging volumes there's so much power available that it's really quite unnecessary and, as has been said above, can make everything too bassy if you're not careful.
Maybe it's there for use with a particularly twangy lightweight bass..