Why become a member? ×

this email can't be real, can it?

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441784411' post='2861647']
Google is your friend.

Grant Fox is genuine, and can be reached through Facebook / Twitter / etc. etc. etc.

If in doubt, contact him through one of those channels and ask him if this is legit.
[/quote]

Just googled his email address and got this: [url="http://www.wired.co.uk/events/2015/07/10/fender®-presents-the-american-standard-tour"]http://www.wired.co.uk/events/2015/07/10/fender®-presents-the-american-standard-tour[/url] - looks promising!!

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1441786282' post='2861669']
Does your email client allow you to view the header? this usually shows, for a spoof email, a source other than what it's supposed to be.
If you've any doubt, shooting them an email may not be the thing to do!
Congrats if its legit!
[/quote]

Yup, you'll need to view the header info - it'll tell you the originating sender, etc.

Try contacting him through LinkedIn?
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/grantfox1

The chances of it NOT being legit seem less likely than it being the real thing - how many people would know your email address and that you'd gone to the Fender event? All they're asking is for a reply to the email and since they already have your address you aren't exactly divulging anything that isn't already known. I'd say get back in touch ASAP!

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1441788493' post='2861690']
The chances of it NOT being legit seem less likely than it being the real thing - how many people would know your email address and that you'd gone to the Fender event? All they're asking is for a reply to the email and since they already have your address you aren't exactly divulging anything that isn't already known. I'd say get back in touch ASAP!
[/quote]

This. Said jealously :P

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1441788258' post='2861687']
Yes try that. Dont hit reply, if it is Phishing, that is what they want you to do.

Hope its for real :-)
[/quote]

Nah, just reply! Only worry if the email you are replying to or any links in the email do not belong to fender.com. Looks legit to me.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1441788493' post='2861690']
[/quote]

Exactly! I replied, we back and forthed, he sent me a link to choose my prize, I chose and asked what happens next, he asked for an address where someone will be able to sign for it Monday or Tuesday of next week.....

.....I got nervous, but sent it anyway and he hasn't replied to that email yet........

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1441790709' post='2861722']
Black Jazz bass with a rosewood fretboard (I'm going to put a tort guard on it - I love that look!)

It was a toss-up between that and Olympic White, but black won the toss.

And yet, I'm still not 100% sure this is real! I'm going be a laughing stock if it ain't :(
[/quote]

Good thing I don't like Jazzes, I'd hate you even more if you went for something I wanted :D :D :gas:

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1441791873' post='2861739']
I don't know how to! There's a 'show details' option and when I hit that it said [email protected] was the sender.
[/quote]

Address looks legit to me and I was in touch with senior Fender bods for quite a few months a while ago, though that's still no guarantee these days.

I was going to say if you right click on the email in your inbox it gives you the option to "view message source" which will show you the actual email it came from but it looks like you got there a different way.

However, recently I got a scam email from my own email address recently, so it looks like emails can be spoofed same as phone numbers now.

I'd say a not really very hesitant at all "Congraulations!!"

Edited by Big_Stu