Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden : Book of souls - thoughts on 'poor production'?

The Admiral

I've been looking at buying this, and potentailly on vinyl - which is £25.00 - BUT - I've seen a number of well written reviews which suggest that the production and mastering are very poor : another one of the 'Boom and Tizz' offerings, squarely aimed at MP3 and ear bud listeners. I don't have a million pound HiFi, but if, as is suggested, this sounds awful on even a reasonably good system, I'm disincilned to spend more than double the price of the deluxe CD for the triple vinyl.

Anyone got it on vinyl? How does it sound?

Edited by The Admiral

i haven't got it on vinyl but i did think that the production was a bit off.
seemed to me to lack balls, and the bass was quite clanky and the guitars seemed low in the mix.

i also noticed that some of the section changes in the songs seemed very clinical. almost like they had been recorded in sections then slotted together. could just be me tho.

There's very few albums recorded in the last few years, at least by 'name' artists, that I'd bother to buy on vinyl. To my ear too many tracks sound sufficiently poor on the medium for which they were mastered to stand any chance of sounding good on a medium for which they weren't. If I'm looking for a decent sound on the hifi, I don't bother with anything recorded much after Graceland :)

I'm a big fan of vinyl if the recording is old enough to have been done on analogue equipment but I don't really see the point of it for a modern album that's been digitally recorded. There's been trend of a while now of mastering for MP3 devices and cranking the levels up that misses the subtleness of analogue stuff

I was watching the 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown' film last night.

I found it interesting when they mentioned the tone of the drums - the fact that even they had a 'tone' or 'note' to them.

I find that pretty much most, if not all, modern productions leave me cold - they all sound to me like they've been made in either an aircraft hanger (wide and spacious, no feeling), or that everything is squashed together (love Rush, and the album, but step forward 'Clockwork Angels'). Modern drums go puffffttt, and cymbals shhhhhttt, whereas we all know proper cymbals go tssssst! There's science here, chaps!

....and that's before the modern bass tones - no definition. Rant over! :angry:

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1441706348' post='2860977']

I found it interesting when they mentioned the tone of the drums - the fact that even they had a 'tone' or 'note' to them.

I find that pretty much most, if not all, modern productions leave me cold - they all sound to me like they've been made in either an aircraft hanger (wide and spacious, no feeling), or that everything is squashed together (love Rush, and the album, but step forward 'Clockwork Angels'). Modern drums go puffffttt, and cymbals shhhhhttt, whereas we all know proper cymbals go tssssst! There's science here, chaps!

[/quote]

I read a piece by, I think, Tony Visconti, where he was talking about the Motown studios, and apparently, in the days when Abbey Road had perhaps two Pultec compressors (valves - mmmmmm), the Motown studio had one on every channel. Unheard of at that stage, particularly as they were eye wateringly expensive, but no doubt made the Motown Sound.

Edited by The Admiral

[/quote]

How good is that film?

Very good, that's how good. Definitive viewing for any musician who aspires to play in a band.

Also made me realise what a massive contribution the humble tambourine made to the Motown sound.

Yes, the production is not fantastic :mellow:

But I have to say that being a sceptical Maiden fan, who's been disappointed again and again for over a decade... I'm actually liking this album a lot! It's the "modern" Iron Maiden for sure, which I don't like as much as their pre-1988 output, but this is a good one, oh yeah!

I initially disliked their single "Speed of Light", and now even that one is growing on me. :drinks: Thank you Maiden!!!

I liked the album, while listening to it on spotify, but the first thing I noticed is the vocals are way up, or I guess the guitars are way down, it doesn't seem right. The music seems good, but it seems like it is going for a 'stripped back' sound, but didn't quite get the balance right.

[/quote]

Agreed - strangely enough I lent my copy of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown to Mr Drums at rehearsal last night.
Will be interested to hear his thoughts.

Rather than start a separate, as it's production related, has anyone been listening to the new Vintage Trouble album, 1 Hopeful Road?

I love the band and the debut album is simply brilliant, IMO, but this one....? Good, but a bit 'meh' in places. I don't think the song-writing is quite as good (definite sophomore album issues), but it's the production which I feel really hurts it. Angel City is a perfect example of what BobVbass and spongebob were on about - the drum sounds are clearly mixed for MP3 consumption. On a couple of other tracks you can hear the 'room' on the vocals, which is a cardinal sin as far as I'm concerned. Ty Taylor has a huge voice, but to so obviously constrain it is a poor show.

Edited by Simon.

[/quote]

Funny, I had thought that the mastering on Clockwork Angels was a bit of an improvement over their more recent stuff. But then again, it may just be that after having my ears bludgeoned into submission by Vapour Trails and Snakes & Arrows, a Rush CD that was only badly over mastered was a blessed relief in comparison! And don't get me started on the Rush In Rio CD...