Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='Protium' post='333566' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:38 AM']I think like the Ashdown the DI volume will be a set level.[/quote]

I can change the DI volume of my Ashdown using the Input Volume knob
And use the Output volume knob for 'stage' volume tweeks without affecting the volume of the signal going to the PA

How does it work on the Hartke?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='333571' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:45 AM']I can change the DI volume of my Ashdown using the Input Volume knob
And use the Output volume knob for 'stage' volume tweeks without affecting the volume of the signal going to the PA

How does it work on the Hartke?

Si[/quote]

Fair enough, I thought it was a fixed level, nevermind.

The Hartke has a magic preamp :)

I'm still trying to figure out what would happen with a borderline signal too high for passive and too low for active. And if the input signal is very quiet (and non-adjustable), surely you have to push the output stage more to get the same volume as you would with a "proper" signal from the preamp?

[quote name='Sibob' post='333562' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:31 AM']Has the DI got one set volume, bypassing the master, or does changing the level 'onstage' affect the DI volume?[/quote]

The DI has fixed gain, not volume - volume output depends on volume input from your instrument.

[quote name='Sibob' post='333571' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:45 AM']I can change the DI volume of my Ashdown using the Input Volume knob

How does it work on the Hartke?[/quote]

On the Hartke the volume knob affects your onstage sound, the DI gain is fixed - just like using 99% of DI boxes.

[quote name='Protium' post='333573' date='Nov 21 2008, 12:55 AM']I'm still trying to figure out what would happen with a borderline signal too high for passive and too low for active. And if the input signal is very quiet (and non-adjustable), surely you have to push the output stage more to get the same volume as you would with a "proper" signal from the preamp?[/quote]

As with any padded passive/active inputs the nominal levels they are happy with overlap so there is no such thing as a borderline signal. In my experience few basses need to go into a padded active input, and note that my old Warwick has EMGs and an Aguilar OBP-3 on 18V yet still worked best into passive inputs.

The gain of the power amp is fixed so if you have a very quiet input signal you simply turn the volume knob up more - it determines the preamp gain, not the power amp gain.

Alex

[quote name='Sibob' post='333583' date='Nov 21 2008, 01:06 AM']I much prefer a DI'd sound than a mic'd sound

And I take an interest into what my bass sounds like out front one way or another!
And when I'm playing covers shows, we're doing the sound onstage!

Si[/quote]

I'd rather use the DI out on my amp than take a chance that the soundguy is gona stick a battered "not good enough for vocals" sm58 in front of my speakers (yes this has happened before :))

[quote name='Protium' post='333725' date='Nov 21 2008, 11:25 AM']I'd rather use the DI out on my amp than take a chance that the soundguy is gona stick a battered "not good enough for vocals" sm58 in front of my speakers (yes this has happened before :huh:)[/quote]

Precisely mate :)

[quote]On the Hartke the volume knob affects your onstage sound, the DI gain is fixed - just like using 99% of DI boxes[/quote]

Cheers for clearing that up Alex!

Si

[quote name='51m0n' post='338584' date='Nov 27 2008, 04:07 PM']Whats the fan noise like - it looks like there are two of the little blighters in that there empty cavenous resonant box after all!

Very interested in one of these for my youngster now.

alexclaber, how would this pair up with your cabs do you think?[/quote]

It's quiet, I've not noticed anything worth talking about.

[quote name='51m0n' post='338584' date='Nov 27 2008, 04:07 PM']alexclaber, how would this pair up with your cabs do you think?[/quote]

I think both models would work brilliantly with my cabs - I've tried the LH500 into The Compact and the strong midrange and tight bottom of the latter works really well with the Fender/Alembic tonestack and fat warm sound of the LH500.

For larger but still prudent budgets I do not believe there is a rig on the market that can even come close to the LH1000 into The Big One - 750W into a cab that can handle it comfortably (note that there are no 4x10" cabs (bar Acmes) that can handle that much sub 100Hz power), near-flat response from the cab with very punchy and clear mids and highs, so the minimal EQ and naturally smooth fat sound of the Hartke works beautifully. Total cost <£1000, total weight <80lbs, huge tone=priceless! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='338654' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:06 PM']I think both models would work brilliantly with my cabs - I've tried the LH500 into The Compact and the strong midrange and tight bottom of the latter works really well with the Fender/Alembic tonestack and fat warm sound of the LH500.

For larger but still prudent budgets I do not believe there is a rig on the market that can even come close to the LH1000 into The Big One - 750W into a cab that can handle it comfortably (note that there are no 4x10" cabs (bar Acmes) that can handle that much sub 100Hz power), near-flat response from the cab with very punchy and clear mids and highs, so the minimal EQ and naturally smooth fat sound of the Hartke works beautifully. Total cost <£1000, total weight <80lbs, huge tone=priceless! :)

Alex[/quote]
I want an LH1000 with two of your "The Vintage" cabs. Ooooh yeah.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='338591' date='Nov 27 2008, 04:11 PM']Why's there a big mushroom in the middle? :huh: :)[/quote]

Its magic :huh:

I'm seriously contemplating one of these now. I'll need to find out if anyone around my way has them or will be getting them in. I wouldn't say I had gas for one but am interested to see how the sound differed to my GK

I really like the idea of hardly any controls- Ive just finished wiring the pickup on my newest Warmoth staight to the jack

[quote name='Delberthot' post='338674' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:25 PM']I really like the idea of hardly any controls- Ive just finished wiring the pickup on my newest Warmoth staight to the jack[/quote]

Over the last few years I've gone from an active bass with 3-band EQ with switchable mids into a rack preamp with 'aural enhancer' and 4-band EQ with dual semi-parametric mids, to a passive bass into a rack preamp with no EQ other than a handful of presets. It was a slightly scary couple of leaps but I love where I've landed! Join me! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='338709' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:44 PM']Over the last few years I've gone from an active bass with 3-band EQ with switchable mids into a rack preamp with 'aural enhancer' and 4-band EQ with dual semi-parametric mids, to a passive bass into a rack preamp with no EQ other than a handful of presets. It was a slightly scary couple of leaps but I love where I've landed! Join me! :)[/quote]

Interesting approach, I've made a similar leap from 3 band EQ active to passive and keeping my amp options as uncomplicated as possible. There's nothing that can beat a brilliant, simple tone IMO, although I suppose one man's great tone is another man's noise (John Entwistle's sound in his later years springs to mind!)

[quote]John Entwistle's sound in his later years springs to mind![/quote]

:) :huh:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw[/url]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU&...feature=related[/url]

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='338847' date='Nov 27 2008, 07:32 PM']:) :huh:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw[/url]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU&...feature=related[/url][/quote]
Nowt wrong with either of them!