Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='Linus27' post='471199' date='Apr 24 2009, 12:24 AM']I really want to get one of these LH500 amp heads but its not fair. You guys all paid around £200 and now they are selling at around £300. Not fair, I want one :):)[/quote]
Still worth the money mate. My 1000 is the bestest, loudest amp I've ever owned and I've had a few.

The Hartke website says the following regarding the LH1000,

Dual Parallel Mode: 2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms, 2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms, 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms
Bridge Mode: 1 x 750 watts @ 8 ohms, 1 x 1100 watts @ 4 ohms

I am a bit confused what the difference is between dual parallel mode is and bridge mode. Could someone explain what it means in relation to if I ran an LH1000 with 1 x 8 ohms speaker or an LH1000 with 1 x 4 ohms speaker?

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='471354' date='Apr 24 2009, 11:11 AM']The Hartke website says the following regarding the LH1000,

Dual Parallel Mode: 2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms, 2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms, 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms
Bridge Mode: 1 x 750 watts @ 8 ohms, 1 x 1100 watts @ 4 ohms

I am a bit confused what the difference is between dual parallel mode is and bridge mode. Could someone explain what it means in relation to if I ran an LH1000 with 1 x 8 ohms speaker or an LH1000 with 1 x 4 ohms speaker?[/quote]

Ok, sussed it. In bridge mode, the two 500 watts are running together. So if running 1 x 8 ohms speaker, the output is 1 x 750 watts. If running 1 x 4 ohms speaker the output is 1100 watts.

In dual parallel mode, the two 500 watts are running seperate. So if running two 8 ohms speakers then you get 2 x 225 watts (450 watts). It gets a bit more complicated after that if running 2 x 8 ohm speakers as a 4 ohm config or 2 x 4 ohms speakers.

Now do I get the LH1000 with either 1 x 8 ohms speaker (750 watts) or 1 x 4 ohms speaker (1100 watts) or the £50 cheaper LH500 with 1 x 4 ohms speaker (500 watts). Not sure if running just 1 speaker with that much output is the right thing to do.

Edited by Linus27

The 350W the LH500 can put out into an 8 ohm load is enough to push most cabs to their limits. In the vast majority of cases the extra 9lbs weight of the LH1000 will be wasted as it takes a very special or very large cab to make use of that kind of power (NB: quoted speaker cab power handling ratings mean next to nothing).

Alex

[quote name='Linus27' post='471862' date='Apr 24 2009, 08:51 PM']In dual parallel mode, the two 500 watts are running seperate. So if running two 8 ohms speakers then you get 2 x 225 watts (450 watts). It gets a bit more complicated after that if running 2 x 8 ohm speakers as a 4 ohm config or 2 x 4 ohms speakers.

Now do I get the LH1000 with either 1 x 8 ohms speaker (750 watts) or 1 x 4 ohms speaker (1100 watts) or the £50 cheaper LH500 with 1 x 4 ohms speaker (500 watts). Not sure if running just 1 speaker with that much output is the right thing to do.[/quote]

Bridge mode - 1 x 8 ohm or 1 x 4 ohm or 2 x 8 ohm daisy-chained
Dual parallel - 2 x 8 ohm or 2 x 4 ohm, each plugged in to the amp seperately
I'm sure I read something about not using just one side in dual parallel mode, but I can't find it now!

See [url="http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/related_docs/LHseries_OM_v1_1.pdf"]here[/url], p12

I have used the 1000 bridged into both the Barefaced Big One [6 ohm] and Compact [8 ohm] - the Big One was obscenely loud and I struggled to get the volume above 5 or 6 even in a fair sized arts centre 'cos as Alex has said, the LH heads really take off at about 6. I gigged at 1 and a bit. The Compact was quieter but still very loud and clear and just about made 6 in a small rehearsal studio. I rehearsed at 3. The sound was totally clear and the cabs had much more to give. I could probably got away with the 500, but hey - I want it to be the last amp I buy for a good while.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='471902' date='Apr 24 2009, 10:09 PM']In the vast majority of cases the extra 9lbs weight of the LH1000 will be wasted as it takes a very special or very large cab to make use of that kind of power...[/quote]

I believe I have one on order :)

Edited by johnnylager

Don't know how much help this will be but I have a TE v-type preamp (2 valves) and have tried a few types of valves. I wanted a fairly clean and full sound but with top-end clarity.

Tried a few (EH 12AX7, Mullard 12AT7) but my faves are the EH 12AT7 Gold: lower gain and full sounding with clear highs and mids. Fulfilled my criteria, so stayed in. Highs could cut through more but I can't say I've really got head round the tone stack. That tone stack calculator Alex posted earlier should help!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='380265' date='Jan 14 2009, 02:13 PM']Don't forget y'all that flat is 2,10,2 on the EQ, not 5,5,5. If you have the treble pot much above 0 then you're likely to be boosting the highs which will accentuate any noise.

Effectively bass is boost only, mid is cut only and treble is boost only.

Alex[/quote]

I'm a bit confused. The owner's manual refers to bass boost, mid boost and treble boost EQ control. What do you mean Alex?

[quote name='mikek' post='568125' date='Aug 13 2009, 04:24 PM']I'm a bit confused. The owner's manual refers to bass boost, mid boost and treble boost EQ control. What do you mean Alex?[/quote]

The owner's manual is wrong. The controls are actually all passive and therefore technically cut only. However the built-in curve to the preamp has boosted lows and highs and cut mids, which means to get close to flat response you have to cut almost all the lows and highs and boost all the mids. That tone stack software is really enlightening!

Alex

Either way its a fantastic set of tone controls.

I used Plux' rig (HT210 and HT115) last weekend as a mono PA for background music, cos it was an easy way to play a few CDs really loud.

The whole thing sounded fantastic, which it should, but what was really interesting was the way those controls work, really nice and musical couldnt find a really bad setting without being totally silly.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='568142' date='Aug 13 2009, 03:37 PM']The owner's manual is wrong. The controls are actually all passive and therefore technically cut only. However the built-in curve to the preamp has boosted lows and highs and cut mids, which means to get close to flat response you have to cut almost all the lows and highs and boost all the mids. That tone stack software is really enlightening!

Alex[/quote]

Thanks. Recently I've been reading all about tone stacks and fiddling with the software - fascinating stuff but I started overloading on technical info (it doesn't take much)! I'm still trying to get my head around how adjusting lows affects the mids and so on. Anyway, I played with a LH500 in a shop in Hong Kong (incredible bargain here at about £185!) and was very impressed. Although the Hydrive 4x10 I tried it with wouldn't be my choice (bright, middly and a bit 'metallic', but very punchy) the amp certainly has a depth and warmth that I like. I bet it would be wonderful with a Barefaced Compact (or two). The EQ might not produce a wide enough variety of tones for some (the mid scoop is very noticeable) but for a simple old-school guy like me it's great. Whatever settings I dialled in with a passive P-bass were perfectly acceptable, and dare I say it, very P-bass-like, which suits me fine. I reckon I could probably live quite happily with a LH500 even minus the EQ controls, but with the tone stack and without all those damn parametric things it's right up my street. Mmm, I don't need another amp but... I really shouldn't go near music shops, or read these threads!

[quote name='mikek' post='570085' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:42 PM']Thanks. Recently I've been reading all about tone stacks and fiddling with the software - fascinating stuff but I started overloading on technical info (it doesn't take much)! I'm still trying to get my head around how adjusting lows affects the mids and so on. Anyway, I played with a LH500 in a shop in Hong Kong (incredible bargain here at about £185!) and was very impressed. Although the Hydrive 4x10 I tried it with wouldn't be my choice (bright, middly and a bit 'metallic', but very punchy) the amp certainly has a depth and warmth that I like. I bet it would be wonderful with a Barefaced Compact (or two). The EQ might not produce a wide enough variety of tones for some (the mid scoop is very noticeable) but for a simple old-school guy like me it's great. Whatever settings I dialled in with a passive P-bass were perfectly acceptable, and dare I say it, very P-bass-like, which suits me fine. I reckon I could probably live quite happily with a LH500 even minus the EQ controls, but with the tone stack and without all those damn parametric things it's right up my street. Mmm, I don't need another amp but... I really shouldn't go near music shops, or read these threads![/quote]

I've got one, great sounding amp

my only slight little niggle is that it hisses but that migt only be audible due to my Berg cabs

• 9 months later...

[quote name='Plux_the_Duck' post='578249' date='Aug 23 2009, 03:29 PM']I've got one, great sounding amp

my only slight little niggle is that it hisses but that migt only be audible due to my Berg cabs[/quote]
Nah, they hiss a bit - it's old skool hiss though.

Edited by johnnylager

Just picked one of these amps up at the weekend. Initial fiddlings at low-ish volume totally back up most of what has been said so far - sounds great out of the box but the tone-stack set-up will take a bit of getting used to!

The settings I had at the end of my twiddling session were something like 2, 10, 3 - which I believe is pretty much "flat" in terms of added EQ. Tone was rich, full and warm - very "musical" IYKWIM!

Tomorrow is full band rehearsal, so rather than use the hired backline I will take the whole stack along and see how it goes. Can't wait!