Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='clauster' post='327511' date='Nov 12 2008, 12:45 PM']At only 50p/watt I don;t think it's possible to justify it :)[/quote]
I've found it on the interweb for £189 plus £12 delivery. Good god, that's 40.2p/watt including delivery (or 38p without). That's dumb. I want one.

[quote]I've found it on the interweb for £189 plus £12 delivery. Good god, that's 40.2p/watt including delivery (or 38p without). That's dumb. I want one.[/quote]

If we put in a joint order so we could split the delivery, that'd be 39p/watt.

I love this arithmetic stuff :-)

[quote name='clauster' post='327693' date='Nov 12 2008, 03:45 PM']If we put in a joint order so we could split the delivery, that'd be 39p/watt.[/quote]

My QSC PLX cost even less than that - but I had to buy all three thousand watts in one go...

Alex

P.S. Just opened it up to cure a rattle and (barring the annoying rattly fishpaper cooling tunnel - I suppose I have to give them points for cunning ways of saving weight) what a beautifully made piece of kit it is. And the sheer complexity of the circuitry has certainly put me off expanding into the amplifer market any time soon! Not quite as pretty internally as my Avalon U5 but that's just wasted hidden inside a rack...

[quote name='Jase' post='327546' date='Nov 12 2008, 01:08 PM']Maybe people are getting the Kilo confused with the LH1000.[/quote]
Nope....the kilo is available in the States and has been for a little while.This is the US Hartke website showing the Kilo [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1943&brandID=3"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...3&brandID=3[/url]
Whereas the UK site (soundtech) does not.

It's all down to some random politics between distributors.

[quote name='Merton' post='327533' date='Nov 12 2008, 01:03 PM']I've found it on the interweb for £189 plus £12 delivery. Good god, that's 40.2p/watt including delivery (or 38p without). That's dumb. I want one.[/quote]

[quote name='redstriper' post='327786' date='Nov 12 2008, 05:37 PM']Where ?

My interweb won't go that low............... :)[/quote]
Coda Music

They also have the LH1000 for £319 - that's 31.9p/watt, to carry on clauster's arithmetic fun :huh:

[quote name='johnnylager' post='328245' date='Nov 13 2008, 11:06 AM']Oh amp gurus - is this plot correct for the Fender tone stack [and therefore the LH series I would guess] with bass & treble @ 50% & mid @ 100% giving a mid-cut, or am I talking sh*te? And does it matter?
[attachment=15949:fender.pdf][/quote]

Yes, that's the one. Try with with 2,10,2 settings, that's considered closest to flat.

Alex

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='328282' date='Nov 13 2008, 01:15 PM']You can roll the bass and treble off for a mid-boost...[/quote]
Not very much according to this... But bear in mind I know bugger all about anything except early/mid 80's rock/metal and we didn't use these namby-pamby lightweight things back then :)

[attachment=15950:fender2.pdf]

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='328310' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:59 PM']Not very much according to this... But bear in mind I know bugger all about anything except early/mid 80's rock/metal and we didn't use these namby-pamby lightweight things back then :)

[attachment=15950:fender2.pdf][/quote]

This isn't lightweight in any sense of the word :huh:

[quote name='johnnylager' post='328310' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:59 PM']Not very much according to this... But bear in mind I know bugger all about anything except early/mid 80's rock/metal and we didn't use these namby-pamby lightweight things back then :)

[attachment=15950:fender2.pdf][/quote]

I used mine with a rock covers band, everything from ACDC, Metallica, Sabbath, etc....it's a pretty fierce little number, totally different sound to the HA3500 I'd been using previously. I liked the midrange tone I was getting didn't seem to lose the bottom end either, I didn't use much of the treble control, just adjusted things between the bass, mid and used the tone on my Jazz.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='328310' date='Nov 13 2008, 12:59 PM']Not very much according to this... But bear in mind I know bugger all about anything except early/mid 80's rock/metal and we didn't use these namby-pamby lightweight things back then :)[/quote]

I guess the way I see it is that most cabs have plenty of midrange, it's the top and especially the bottom where they tend to be deficient. Plus so many players have active basses with onboard EQ and also any bass with a bridge pickup can make lots of midrange noise. Note that the mid-cut tends to be around the 500Hz mark, not the fatness-stealing 250Hz centre that SWR/Eden/Markbass etc have in their 'enhance' type circuity.

Also bear in mind that the wonderfully simple circuitry will maximise the tone from your instrument and those fine details of bass character when presented in a coherent form really help get you heard.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='328402' date='Nov 13 2008, 04:00 PM']I guess the way I see it is that most cabs have plenty of midrange, it's the top and especially the bottom where they tend to be deficient. Plus so many players have active basses with onboard EQ and also any bass with a bridge pickup can make lots of midrange noise. Note that the mid-cut tends to be around the 500Hz mark, not the fatness-stealing 250Hz centre that SWR/Eden/Markbass etc have in their 'enhance' type circuity.

Also bear in mind that the wonderfully simple circuitry will maximise the tone from your instrument and those fine details of bass character when presented in a coherent form really help get you heard.

Alex[/quote]
Ah, that makes sense. I'm just trying to talk myself out of splahsing out on a new bass & rig at the same time!

Ta folks.