Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

Internal dimensions of the speaker cab part of the combo:

HxWxD
0.524 x 0.504 x 0.260m
Tuned to 45.6Hz

SPL plot with a 350W input signal:

[attachment=18507:Vtype.jpg]

Bear in mind the impedance does this tho:

[attachment=18508:Vtype_imp.jpg]

So the power will fluctuate:

[attachment=18509:Vtype_max_power.jpg]

Should really stick the 2nd and 3rd of these on the same x-axis to show how/why they affect each other...

Edited by Merton

Gave mine a run out at a far too loud rehearsal last night - fantastic. I agree with Mert with bottom end thing - I had the Spectors [active] bass all the way up and still needed to boost the LH to about 2 o'clock - it is indeed a bright amp, even without the bright circuit engaged. I do like a bit of clank though, so this is fine by me. Sounded clear as a bell at dropped C# too.

I tried it bridged into some house Carlsboro 1x15 and the Demitriades custom 1x15, then tried them both together from the seperate power amps, using the balance control to even out the volumes. For 2 different cabs, the seperate route is ideal, but I assume that for identical cabs, running them both off the bridged o/p would be fine.

After using a driven sound for years, I quite like the clean sound it gives - the growl from the Spector seems to be all I need [for now]. EBS MicroBass anyone? - I put it away!

The thing that strikes me is the volume - I didn't want to cane the cabs as I had no idea of their power handling, but I didn't need the volume above 3.

Overall, a clean, easy to use amp with plenty of options for connecting cabs and easy to get a good sound out of. If I'd have taken me old amp, I'd still be twiddling something. £330 well spent.

Now for a cab...

Edited by johnnylager

"So it's a kind of safety device with no musical effect other than to prevent distortion and damage?"

When guitarists use compression it's for effect. Treble strings tend to chime weaker, compression makes all their strings strike with equal weight. Compression also makes most instruments jump forward in the mix, it gives them an artificial 'immediacy'. At a deep level all the pedals guitarists use are creating compression through various routes.

On most bass guitars strings are pretty balanced anyway. I have found that engaging the compression circuit on amps can be a nice tweak to sound even if the compression level is zero. However by evening up notes compression can rob you of subtlety. When compression is used heavily highs and lows don't contrast as much. Of course if you're struggling to get heard heavy compression may be only thing that works.

Edited by cytania

[quote name='Merton' post='377383' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:13 AM']Cheers for that John, good to hear another opinion! Did you find it at all hissy? Half wondering whether that's been made worse by the Raytheon valve...[/quote]
Yes it is a bit, but hey - it's modelled on an old amp ;) and I can be accused of many things, most of them probably true, but a hi-fi bass sound isn't one of them. Still not got it's top off [fnarr] to lob that Ruby in. Thursday night - I'll do it then, promise and I'll take some pics of the supposed dual transformer...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='378767' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:18 AM']Mines a bit hissy when cranked too but once you start playing it kinda dissapears ;)

Peter[/quote]
Exactly, it's not like it overpowers the ringing in me ears. Oh, I would like to register advance warning of another GreeneKing copyright infingement, Thursday 15th Jan PM.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='378767' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:18 AM']Mines a bit hissy when cranked too but once you start playing it kinda dissapears :P

Peter[/quote]

[quote name='johnnylager' post='378781' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:28 AM']Exactly, it's not like it overpowers the ringing in me ears.[/quote]
Indeed. When playing - especially in a full band context - you don't notice it at all, 'twas just an observation vs the V-Type ;)

First impressions on the LH 500

Took it out the box, it weighs a ton compared to my LMII, plugged it in, turned on..what is that hiss, it was on volume 10 so turned that down.

Volume wise I was running it around 6 or 7, we are not loud but lower volumes (2-3) through a Markbass cab it was hardly audible. This has been commented on before.

Easy to get a sound, it is a bit clanky so rolled that off as I like a smooth sound and it did a passable imitation of my LMII sound, perhaps not as mellow and with more bite than I like. Did not use the brite switch, is brite enough for me ditto the limiter.

Well worth £184 ( a new LMII is around £500 and going up again) although there did not appear to be a manual. I may keep it once I get my LMII back after repair or maybe sell on....

Yep, I find I roll off the treble quite a way, the brite switch is waaaay too much! Can't wait to pair this up with my soon-to-be-added Trace cab ;)

Interesting you didn't get a manual tho...

Have a look inside and see what valve you got - mine had an EH but Peter's (Greeneking) had a Sovtek. Valve swapping fun ensues, I promise you!!

I swapped my EH for a Raytheon, coz the Raytheon was better than the stock Sovtek in my old Trace AH300-12 head.

I have to say, the EH is better in the LH500 than the Raytheon! There's a bit more hint of breakup with the Raytheon but the sound doesn't seem as full and fat. Might try a Ruby on Saturday if I get the chance...

There can be, yeah. The Raytheon vs the Sovtek was a world apart - the Sylvania which ended up the Trace was even better and I'm kicking myself that I didn't take it out when I sold it.

I love the valve swapping malarky, if I had the money I'd get loads of 12AX7s to try ;)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='380265' date='Jan 14 2009, 02:13 PM']Don't forget y'all that flat is 2,10,2 on the EQ, not 5,5,5. If you have the treble pot much above 0 then you're likely to be boosting the highs which will accentuate any noise.

Effectively bass is boost only, mid is cut only and treble is boost only.

Alex[/quote]

Got my treble set at around 2 or 3, sometimes less, got me thinking now, I'll be listening for hiss on the weekend ;)

Alex.....think I'm going to do just that....try loads!

Anyone want to show their settings?