Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='acidbass' post='339163' date='Nov 28 2008, 05:16 AM']IMO it's just a horrible synth-like mess compared to his earlier tone as heard on Live At Leeds etc (which was fantastic)! But each to their own and all that :)[/quote]

+1
Though that later one is a solo rather than a "cut through the band" tone.

Having watched that loads of times, and as a horn player, I like watching his breathing - it fits in with the phrases, just as we have to on our aerophones

[quote name='OldGit' post='339308' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:08 AM']+1
Though that later one is a solo rather than a "cut through the band" tone.

Having watched that loads of times, and as a horn player, I like watching his breathing - it fits in with the phrases, just as we have to on our aerophones[/quote]

Interesting, as John was of course a horn player...

Dennis Bovell reckons that horn players make the best bass players.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='338709' date='Nov 27 2008, 05:44 PM']Over the last few years I've gone from an active bass with 3-band EQ with switchable mids into a rack preamp with 'aural enhancer' and 4-band EQ with dual semi-parametric mids, to a passive bass into a rack preamp with no EQ other than a handful of presets. It was a slightly scary couple of leaps but I love where I've landed! Join me! :)[/quote]
Interesting. I've gone from passive basses and twiddling endlessly and uselessly with the EQ to active bass & treble and switch the amp EQ off and just use the MicroBass for dirt and room EQ. I am a much happier man for it. If I had a U5 and a gert chunky bifton QSC though...

[quote name='OldGit' post='339303' date='Nov 28 2008, 10:03 AM']Huummmmmmmm Do'nuts :huh:
[/quote]
On that theme...

Edited by johnnylager

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='johnnylager' post='353346' date='Dec 13 2008, 08:24 AM']Down to [url="http://www.projectmusic.net/hartke-lh1000-3208-p.asp"]38.1p / watt[/url] including delivery. Santa![/quote]

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='353453' date='Dec 13 2008, 11:31 AM']Blimey - that's ridiculous! :)[/quote]
Hate to say it but Coda Music have that beat - £319 + delivery. At worst you're looking at £15 delivery, so that's 33.5p/watt... :huh:

[quote name='BeLow' post='354013' date='Dec 14 2008, 01:54 AM']'sometimes I can not avoid the fact that I just like the sound of cheap mass produced gear'[/quote]

Great point. I like to take quite a simple approach to bass playing, passive basses through simple 3 band EQ preamps. The most liberating experience I've had recently with regards to bass was playing a Squier Jazz through an Ashdown Electric Blue practice amp - it sounded great!

[quote name='mistahbenn' post='354876' date='Dec 15 2008, 11:18 AM']Im afraid I took my 1000 back to the shop and got my money back, as I just snagged an old SWR rig for the same money as the amp alone!

I thought the LH1000 was ok but love the tone of the old SWR much more![/quote]

I also bought an LH1000 and returned it for a refund.
I really wanted to like it, but just couldn't get 'my' sound.
I got an LM11 instead which suits me just fine with a smoother, warmer and deeper sound.
Still think the LHs are great value and would suit a lot of players, but you have to try one first.

[quote name='Merton' post='354848' date='Dec 15 2008, 10:37 AM']I think the word is "whoops". Just bought an LH500. Ah well :huh:[/quote]
[quote name='Merton' post='353457' date='Dec 13 2008, 11:37 AM']Hate to say it but Coda Music have that beat - £319 + delivery. At worst you're looking at £15 delivery, so that's 33.5p/watt... :)[/quote]
33.2p/watt delivered. Hope it gets here before Christmas. When the wife's out.

Haven't used it in anger yet - first gig is tomorrow night and I can't wait :) Will post a report on Monday while at work. Going to change the stock valve AFTER the gig so I can get a better idea of the "tweakability" too.... EDIT - that's going to be a Raytheon 12AX7 which I tried in my Trace GP12 preamp, much better than the stock Sovtek in that so I expect similar differences in the LH500. More sparkle, more bass and "warmth" in theory...

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' post='359426' date='Dec 20 2008, 10:35 AM']...Going to change the stock valve AFTER the gig so I can get a better idea of the "tweakability" too...[/quote]

Ah, the old Valve Tweaking.... A Slippery Slope.

...before you know it, you'll be selling a kidney for an NOS Mullard.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='359739' date='Dec 20 2008, 05:48 PM']Ah, the old Valve Tweaking.... A Slippery Slope.

...before you know it, you'll be selling a kidney for an NOS Mullard.[/quote]
Aye :) Already cutting down on the booze so it's in better health :huh: