Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='Merton' post='359873' date='Dec 20 2008, 09:05 PM']Is that when you're expecting it or when you can use it for the first time?!

IME, I ordered Mon morning and had an email within an hour saying they'd despatched it, it was with me almost exactly 24 hours later :)[/quote]
Expecting. I need to stalk that there Alex for a cab and obbm for a lead next! Ordered last night, email this am saying it's going out Mon for Tues or Weds. You got me thinking about the valve now! Was forced* to but a nice 2u Gator rack bag for it too.

*This may not strictly be true

[quote name='johnnylager' post='359898' date='Dec 20 2008, 09:32 PM']Expecting. I need to stalk that there Alex for a cab and obbm for a lead next! Ordered last night, email this am saying it's going out Mon for Tues or Weds. You got me thinking about the valve now! Was forced* to but a nice 2u Gator rack bag for it too.

*This may not strictly be true[/quote]
I still have an old flightcase I had built for my Trace AH300-12, the LH500 fits rather nicely width-wise, just had to stick a bit of faom above it and it's got a nice home, hidden from view of Nic :huh:

Valves - may have a spare Ruby 12AX7 lurking, will have a look if you want :)

Had a quick peek in my "box of all things bass that I don't take to a gig" and I have two Sovteks, no Ruby tho :huh: Hmm, coulda sworn I had Ruby's in the 4x8 V-Type and swapped them out earlier this year :) Matt, if you're reading this, can you check for me?! :huh:

I'll keep looking :huh:

John - found a Ruby! PM me your address and I'll post it to you :)

As for the LH500? Well, I gigged it last night and had decided I'd come back here with one sentence to sum it up:

[i]I'm selling my Trace V-Type combo[/i]

:huh:

The LH500 is like that but on steroids. Give it some better cabs to go through and I'm going to have one helluva massive bass sound. The three tone controls seem more responsive than on the Trace. The highs are glassier and clearer while the lows are tight and well focussed without ever becoming boomy. And the mids are centred perfectly (for my tastes) to give a little bit of bite and burp back. I never ran the volume higher than 3 and even had to knock it back a bit to reduce the on stage volume as it started overpowering the 2 Marshall 4x12s...

Love it :huh:

[quote]Haha! Glad to be of service Buy it[/quote]

Aye aye cap'n!

Or rather, as soon as I've put together my Omni10 (I do have all the parts, just need good enough weather at a weekend to get outside for the sawing and gluing bit), and moved house, I'll start saving.

Hold on a minute! 5751 valves:
Tube site#1:[quote]If you want to reduce the gain of your amp so you can reach that creamy tone without blowing the windows out, then this is THE tube to get. Fully interchangeable with a 12AX7 tube, the Philips 5751 will allow you to drive the power stage harder with less volume. Compared to the Sovtek 5751, the JAN Philips 5751 has a smoother response that is the ideal way to get the tone you are looking for.[/quote]

Tube site#2:[quote]The Philips 5751 is a superbly warm and rich sounding 5751 type.
The valve has a lower amplification of 70 mu as opposed to a 100 mu of a ECC83/12AX7. This makes it harder for the valve to distort and therefore an ideal choice when the best clean sound is required. The Philips 5751 is a great valve to use in Fender Hot rod series of amplifiers as it tames the fuzzy more drive setting.It also works well in the front end of any amplifier if gain reduction and clarity are your aims.
It has more midrange and less top end than The G.E 5751 which also makes it the ideal choice for blues and harmonica players.[/quote]

Therefore if you want to overdrive better at lower gain, the Philips 5751 tube is ideal. However, if you are looking for a cleaner sound at greater volume before breaking into distortion, the Philips 5751 is the perfect choice :).

Despite this, the LH500 is certainly on my shortlist for a new rig adn it's good to read such a positive review.

Johnnylager brought his new LH1000 over today (as he was coming to pick up my spare 1x15 cab for a while) and we got a chance to pair it up with my SWR Triad, his Spector and my Roscoe Beck V and it sounded really good!

WalMan popped in for a listen too and I think we were all very impressed by how the Hartke sounded up against my Eden Nemesis; Johnny especially as it was his first chance to hear the LH1000 in action..

It's very easy to use and much, much warmer sounding than any previous Hartke amps I've heard!