Why become a member? ×

A 500W head with valve preamp for £249!!!!!

Clarky

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='364309' date='Dec 27 2008, 05:30 PM']Johnnylager brought his new LH1000 over today (as he was coming to pick up my spare 1x15 cab for a while) and we got a chance to pair it up with my SWR Triad, his Spector and my Roscoe Beck V and it sounded really good!

WalMan popped in for a listen too and I think we were all very impressed by how the Hartke sounded up against my Eden Nemesis; Johnny especially as it was his first chance to hear the LH1000 in action..

It's very easy to use and much, much warmer sounding than any previous Hartke amps I've heard![/quote]
Woo hoo for the Littlehampton micro-bash! Good to hook up with the SC chaps again. Nice tone from the LH through the Triad and not too shabby through the 15 either, sounded good from the off and my quest for less knobs seems to have paid off. My initial concerns about the inherent mid-cut seems unfounded, especially with them Spector mids! Like that Roscoe, but I dunno what that 5th string is about though mate :)

Fairly heavy though - I'll whip the top off when Merton's Ruby valve arrives and have a look, but I suspect there may be a 2nd transformer lurking in there - there looks like there is room for one.

Thanks to Nik for the lend of his cab, the premises & the coffee & good to see you Al, hope yer lad got his motor!

EDIT: And thanks to GreeneKing for the unauthorised use of his snap. :huh:

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='364418' date='Dec 27 2008, 07:46 PM']Fairly heavy though - I'll whip the top off when Merton's Ruby valve arrives and have a look, but I suspect there may be a 2nd transformer lurking in there - there looks like there is room for one.[/quote]
Will post this comingweek, totally failed at work! Hopefully gonna swap my Sovtek for a Raytehon sometime this week too, whoop! Glad you like it BTW :)

[quote name='Boneless' post='366653' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:56 PM']So, how would you compare it to a Little Mark? Same cabs, bass, etc.

Would it be able to replace a LM? Or, while good, you consider it to be somewhat inferior?[/quote]

I've actually done this and they are very different - LH500 is warmer and less versatile. I'd happily use one and I really like the lack of knobs. I would seriously consider one as back up at the price - must be the best value musical kit out there at the moment.

Heh, I was reading somewhere else where they actually class it a "top notch" amp.
Since I am using a kinda "strange" configuration (I model my sound with the Hartke VXL, and then EQ again on my LM1, might seem strange but I get the tone I like... more or less, there is still something "not quite right", I'd like more treble, and a bit more beef, but I think the main culprit could actually be the cabinet, the ABM414, which is great, don't get me wrong, but very midrangey... I actually like the colour the head gives to the sound, combined with the VXL, kind of "warmish", but not muddled, still articulate), I was thinking if this amp could be a nice alternative.

I am quite happy of my rig, and the LM1, never a problem, loud, dependable, clean and clear (although, I must say, a bit dark... but it's probably me, I like very trebly sounds), and with all the EQ pumped, only a very faint hiss (probably coming from the VXL), so... I'm not really thinking of changing amp, but actually, reading what you said, that it is "warm sounding" (so I must assume, a bit dark? Not exactly open on the highs, I suppose), and not very versatile... hmm, maybe I'd be better sticking with the LM :)

Edited by Boneless

Man, that is hard to resist. I'm looking for a cheap SS back up head. I was thinking Mag 600 or this LH500. A LMII (which i also considered) seems just a little bit too much for a back up.

The LH500 should output 350watts at 8 ohms, i would guess? I'm wondering which would give me more volume and headroom into my 8 ohm cab (my main amp is all valve). I get the feeling i'd be happier tonewise with an Ashdown.

Edited by Tee

[quote name='Tee' post='369233' date='Jan 3 2009, 01:07 PM'][b]1:[/b] The LH500 should output 350watts at 8 ohms, i would guess? I'm wondering which would give me more volume and headroom into my 8 ohm cab (my main amp is all valve).
[b]2:[/b] I get the feeling i'd be happier tonewise with an Ashdown.[/quote]
[b]1:[/b] Yep, 350w.
[b]2:[/b] Just gone from ABM to LH and couldn't be happier.

Having sold my Markbass head as part of a rig swap with Beedster, I needed a back-up head for those gigs where you end up kit sharing. Given the continuing rave reviews on this site and Absolute Music's bargain price (£184.13) I have just ordered one of these. So I'm joining the LH500 club!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='369745' date='Jan 4 2009, 09:09 AM']So, if the knobs at noon on this amp result in a mid-scoop, I guess that get a flat EQ setting out of these you have to boost the mids, which due to the design also boosts the treble so you'll have to reduce the treble. Am I right?[/quote]

I don't think it boosts the treble as such. Increasing the mids will most likely have the effect of adding a curve to the sound, peaking at the 300hz area (which I suspect is the frequency that the Mid knob affects based on my experiences with other Hartke amps). I should think that the curve won't affect the frequencies accessed by the Treble knob (somewhere around 4-6khz, peaking at 5?)

Of course this is just my own speculative analysis! I'm definitely interested in buying one of these heads very soon, despite the preset mid-scoop which is something I'd have left out personally.

It's a passive tonestack which will be different to the usual Hartke EQs. If you turn the bass knob up, it increases the volume going into the mid and treble stages, and if you boost the mids it increases the volume going into the treble stage. If you turn all 3 knobs down, the amp goes silent. I'm not sure, but it sounds to me that if you boost the bass knob you may just experience a volume increase unless you reduce the mid and treble to compensate. And boosting the mids to get rid of the scoop should also boost your treble, so you'll have to reduce that to compensate.

This will confuse a lot of people used to more conventional modern EQs. But it's all meant to sound very nice anyway, so just tweak em until it sounds good!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='370107' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:20 PM']<snip> it's all meant to sound very nice anyway, so just tweak em until it sounds good![/quote]
I think you'd be hard pushed to make it sound crap, it's a very musical EQ section and I have fallen in love with it since first encountering it on a Trace V-Type head. Actually, I first encountered it on a Trace Commando combo, same tonestack there as well. Love it - all my amps have this tonestack now :)

[quote name='Merton' post='369323' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:07 PM']Good work! I'm hoping to have my self-build 1x15 cab in a position to be fired up with the LH500 tomorrow - can't wait as it should sound perfect (for me!)... :)[/quote]

Are you going to post details of your self-build? There's always lots of interest on here, as you know.

[quote name='Machines' post='370170' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:14 PM']I'm quite interested in all the positive press these are getting - just don't know if I could cope with only 4 knobs to twiddle ![/quote]
I've just binned ABM for LH and love it. You can keep your eclectic mix of knobs & sliders!