Why become a member? ×

PJ basses.. does having a J pickup change the sound of the P pickup?

Jazzjames

PJ basses.. does having a J pickup change the sound of the P pickup?

What I mean is, when the J pickup is turned all the way down, would the bass sound different than if there was no J pickup at all? Is there any electronic reason for it sounding different?

FYI I'm using a Mike Lull PJ5.

And to make the thread more interesting here's a picture...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. James

I'm no electronic wizard but I imagine that the pickups are wired in parallel as standard configuration which means the signal goes through both pickups at the same time and then to the output (where series means the signal travels to the neck pickup then into the bridge pickup before going to the output). If you turn one pickup off, it would simply kill that signal between the pickup and the output and you'd get the sound of the second pickup only. In series, I imagine that if you turn off the volume, the pickup will still have some effect as it would have to travel through a muted pickup in either position before going to the output.

That is what i would expect logically but I imagine it depends mostly on the way they are wired? I'm sure someone will be along soon to explain properly lol.

[i]Some[/i] people will tell you that having a second pickup will affect the tone, even if that pickup is totally disconnected electronically, because the magnetic field from it will affect the vibration of the strings. Whether or not you think that that would make any meaningful difference is probably best decided by an angry four hundred page thread. ;)

My Lull PJ5 has a separate volume for each pick up, so I would expect there to be no interaction other than through the tone control.

I have A/B'ed my bass with another Lull P5 and heard no issue with the sound when the J was turned off.

I only use the P pickup on mine. IMO it just doesn't need the J to sound great.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1439994258' post='2847365']
[i]Some[/i] people will tell you that having a second pickup will affect the tone, even if that pickup is totally disconnected electronically, because the magnetic field from it will affect the vibration of the strings. Whether or not you think that that would make any meaningful difference is probably best decided by an angry four hundred page thread. ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha, you mean like the one on Talkbass :)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1440070370' post='2847998']
The difference would most likely be so small that you wouldn't hear it and let's face it, once you turn up for gigs, no one would be able to hear any difference.
[/quote]

Or care :)

[/quote]

I think the main difference would come from having a second volume control in circuit. If you use 250K pots wired up like a Jazz and solo the P-pickup, it will see a load of 125K ohms from the pots, rather than the 250K it would see on a single pickup bass. The difference would be fairly subtle (it may lose some brightness) and could be got around by using higher value pots or a toggle switch.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Over the years I have had Five P/J configured basses and I have to say Yes it does have an effect, when the J pick up is turned off, so no volume, when compared to a normal P bass configuration, I notice that the P bass sound does lose bit of its treble top end and to my ears sounds a little smoother.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1439990669' post='2847307']
What I mean is, when the J pickup is turned all the way down, would the bass sound different than if there was no J pickup at all? Is there any electronic reason for it sounding different?
[/quote]

With the J turned down, there is still the 250K resistance of the J volume pot connected across the jack. In theory, this could reduce treble compared to a situation in which J pickup and pot were not there (the 250k forms a low pass (= treble cut) filter with the p pickup's inductance). But I suspect the difference is subtle to a point where it may not be noticeable, it would depend on all the other components (inductance, resistance, lead length, amp input....)

Assuming it is connected like this:

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_p_j_bass"]http://www.seymourdu...ic=std_p_j_bass[/url]

Hi Travis. The p pickup i believe is in the 'correct' position, and is the same on the P5 or the PJ5 that I have.

And for the people that have asked, the controls are the normal vol/vol/tone. I did play another pj5 that was actually vol/blend/tone. I prefered my bass but probably it was more an overall impression, not just because of the wiring differences.

And regarding the magnetic pull from the J pickup- it's hum cancelling so the draw is quite weak compared to a true single coil, no?

Edited by Jazzjames

[i]..... [/i]Whether or not you think that that would make any meaningful difference is probably best decided by an angry four hundred page thread. ;)
[/quote]

I'm a bit late to the discussion but I am happy that I got here eventually, otherwise I would have missed this post that has definitely won the internet for August :)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1440353655' post='2850039']
In spite of all the technobull :lol: you are the one playing it - can you hear hear any difference? Or you could 'phone a friend - even ask the audience :D
[/quote]

It sounds like a P bass to me. I was just curious. I do tend to have the J pup on a little bit to help add clarity to the B string. If i were to buy another though I'd probably at least try just the straight P5...