Why become a member? ×

Wanting to go lightweight

gingerfish

So I've been playing with 2 Ashdown ABM210T for a couple of years, briefly have had a 610 but for the size of gig we do its overkill, not gigging much lately but we currently have a practice room that is up 3 flights of stairs and I want to go for something a lot lighter.

Currently using an ABM500 but have a Tech 21 VT500 on order... looks like its end of the month before it arrives.

So, I am either looking for 1 off 4 ohm 500w cab or 2 off 8 ohm cabs.

From reading and checking around I get the feeling that 2 off TKS S112 would fit the bill nicely. Price is not the cheapest but might be worth it. What would be the barefaced equivalent? Is there anything else that can match these for sound and portability? Is there a better one cab solution?

Play 5 string with low Bb in a metal band so need some decent volume to get over the loud as hell drummer.

Cheers for your suggestions.

Lots of great lightweight 12in cabs around at the moment, Bergantino, TKS, Barefaced, aguilar etc. Any of those will certainly be a jump up from Ashdowns cabs.

Personally I've got two Barefaced supercompacts, so gig size dependent I use either one or both. I find them excellent. Certainly the best cabs I've ever owned.

As you can see above, Barefaced divide opinion on here, usually the division is between those who own Barefaced cabs and those who don't! :D

Don't forget Markbass stuff is lightweight too
I use a 2 x 10 combo, and extension cab
or just the 210 for smaller gigs

I used to have a Markbass 1x 15 cab, which packed a real punch too
Plenty of options of 2x 10, 1x 12 or 1 x15....
or a combination of 2 of these....

Keep your eye on the for sale section on here
Good luck with your search

Edited by Marc S

I've got lots of experience of the TKS S112's and S212's. Great cabs, extremely high quality, light, and (a bonus for me) ceramic.

They're far more to my taste than the Berg HS210s and EX12's I ran beforehand. They sound more natural, with clearer mids.

IMO, you can't go wrong with them.

I've also used a few Barefaced cabs before, and quite liked them. You're spoiled for choice, really.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1438935440' post='2838718']
I've got lots of experience of the TKS S112's and S212's. Great cabs, extremely high quality, light, and (a bonus for me) ceramic.

They're far more to my taste than the Berg HS210s and EX12's I ran beforehand. They sound more natural, with clearer mids.

IMO, you can't go wrong with them.

I've also used a few Barefaced cabs before, and quite liked them. You're spoiled for choice, really.
[/quote]

I have been admiring your set up on the TKS thread and they are the ones that have tempted me so far. How do you find the S212 + S112 set up compares to a 2 x S112?

I am thinking due to the staircases to our practice room and the fact I only have access to a small car that two small cabs might make more sense than one 212. Might have to make a trip to bass direct and bass gear and try some stuff out once the new amp arrives.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1438940410' post='2838781']
I havent said anything as im selling two TKS, but if you are ever down South Wales, you are welcome to try them, with no obligations.
They are great cabs.
But as has been said, you really are spoilt for choice. Just need to decide what suits you best
[/quote]

I have spotted them don't you worry. Might be visiting family in Swindon in September so if they are lingering I might make a visit across. Need to sell a couple of bits to make some funds first though.

Edited by gingerfish

[quote name='gingerfish' timestamp='1438939196' post='2838763']
I have been admiring your set up on the TKS thread and they are the ones that have tempted me so far. How do you find the S212 + S112 set up compares to a 2 x S112?

I am thinking due to the staircases to our practice room and the fact I only have access to a small car that two small cabs might make more sense than one 212. Might have to make a trip to bass direct and bass gear and try some stuff out once the new amp arrives.
[/quote]

I've never run an S112 & S212 together in anger. I can't imagine needing more than the S212 alone can deliver...

I've run 2xS112's with a TH and it gets quite gritty which I put down to the TH.
When run with a very clean amp...the cabs deal with the signal very well.. but still with that ceramic
'niceness'...
Akin to GS112's in some ways..which were also ceramic.. but with a more even balance as the GS's were too
dark for my tastes in the end ( loved them at first) Not at all like the Berg NEO's..
A different flavour altogether, IMO.

Try as much stuff out as you can, and if possible with your amp and bass. I use a Barefaced Big Twin 2, either paired with a GB Shuttle 9.2 or a ABM500 depending on which band I'm playing with. Sounds great and it's light. A pair of 112's might suit you better if you're always going to be humping stuff upstairs. The looks are for you to decide on, if you listen to all the negative stuff it'll fall apart in no time, all I can say is my Gen 3 cab has had 18mths of constant gigging and is still as good as new. There's some great, fairly light cans about now, go have fun testing them!

Edited by ern500evo

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1438934762' post='2838708']
Lots of great lightweight 12in cabs around at the moment, Bergantino, TKS, Barefaced, aguilar etc. Any of those will certainly be a jump up from Ashdowns cabs.

Personally I've got two Barefaced supercompacts, so gig size dependent I use either one or both. I find them excellent. Certainly the best cabs I've ever owned.

As you can see above, Barefaced divide opinion on here, usually the division is between those who own Barefaced cabs and those who don't! :D
[/quote]

I've moved from Markbass to Barefaced and I'm totally in love with the BF gear. My Markbass stuff is still excellent - it lives at the practise room for rehearsal. The BF SuperTwin is epic and way lighter than the pair of MB cabs (1x12 + 1x15 traveller series). No issues with the build quality either and nothing that looks home-made. I don't understand the hate.

I used 2 112 cabs for years and I wouldn't put 1 112 up against a 210 on a gig and expect it to match the performance.

The only 112 I have seen take on a 210 is the Barefaced Super Compact, and 2 of those is all any gigging musician needs for volume, punch and coverage in any room. You've got to decide if you like the tone you get out of it (Alex gives you a 1 month trial period) but all other factors are gold plated.

The next single small cab solution I know of is the older BF Compact. It's a 115 but not much bigger than most 12's and weighs less than most 12's.

How do you choose? I've used Bergantino cabs since 2008. Aguilar, TKS, GB and GK are also great cabs but Alex's 1 month trial gives you the room to listen and analyse before you have to commit.

I have a Barefaced Vintage T which is just incredible. Lightweight, fantastic sound, anything from mellow to extremely aggressive and will handle just about any amp you put through it with ease. I've not tried any other Barefaced cabs but I think the next cab I buy will be one, either another Vintage if one comes up for sale or a Super 12 maybe...?

I also have a pair of Vanderkely MNT1x12s which are really nice and a bit easier to fit into tight spaces than the vintage. They have a warmer, more chocolaty tone to them which I really like and are very light and easy to move. Never tried any of the other Berg/TKS/EBS/Aguilar stuff but I'm sure they're very nice, it all comes down to how you interpret the sound you get from them.

As for the appearance of a cab, well, I guess that's a matter of opinion too. For me it's all about the sound and in that respect from my experience of them so far if ultimate portability/rig versatility combined with sufficient volume to keep up with your drummer is what you're looking for I reckon a couple of Barefaced 1x12s or 1x15s would be all you'll ever need.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1439050651' post='2839673']

Massive +1.

Pisses over BF [and Berg][/quote]

I'm not sure how that can be true considering the Barefaced Gen 1 & 2 models used the same woofers and similar enclosure/crossover designs to the fEarful and fEarless models and the Barefaced Gen 3 12XN cabs are louder, punchier and more accurate than the Gen 1 & 2 models. Would you care to explain?

Edited by alexclaber