Why become a member? ×

Do you and your partner have similar musical tastes?

Roland Rock

The big test is what albums did you both own when you met? Just two for us:

Astral Weeks: Van Morrison
Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in space: Spiritualized

Generally, there is plenty of overlap and we've enjoyed gigs together from Zutons to Fatback band to Alice Russell, but anything too heavy, be it rock, reggae or electronica and she's out of the room.

My girlfriend and I have seriously contrasting tastes in music. I'm a huge fan of metal but also listen to just about anything as long as it can keep my interest (modern pop and blues does not do this for me. She on the other hand doesn't like metal at all (luckily she's de-sensitised to it now) and she listens mainly to modern pop...basically whatever is in the charts at the time.

Mrs A has what I like to call 'Chad Valley ears' - insofar as she generally only likes really poppy stuff, although I have managed to get her to listen to some Neil Young and some folky Americana. Nothing heavy though, or bluesy. She's a dab hand at the 70s and 80s sound stuff when it comes to singing around the house, as she had much older siblings, and was listening to their music as a pre teen.

Wildly different tastes in the music we each choose to listen to, but an identical attitude to gigging on the London circuit ... that's one of the biggest factors that brought us together in the first place.

We work as a team really well in a live band situation.

Mrs2611 and my tastes are pretty close nowadays, she still likes Nirvana and the American grunge period which does nothing for me (the exception being Hole who we both like) other than that she is now well educated in Punk, Goth and eighties synth pop and new romantic stuff

We have very different musical tastes, she hates pretty much everything I like to the extent that I don't really listen to music in the house anymore as it's not worth the aggro.
She's not really that interested in music anyway, never listens to any, but the stuff she does like is all stuff I hate.

No not really. I quite like blues music that she refers to as 'blues sh*t'. I can generally listen to anything that's been played rather than programmed (ooh controversial!) but she'll often walk in the room and say 'what the hell are you listening to?'. But to answer the question - I have taste... 😉

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1437827752' post='2829351']
...she hates pretty much everything I like to the extent that I don't really listen to music in the house anymore as it's not worth the aggro. She's not really that interested in music anyway, never listens to any, but the stuff she does like is all stuff I hate.
[/quote]

That must be a bit inconvenient if you're a home-loving sheep and/or music aficionado...
a decent pair of wellies and/or headphones, perhaps..? :D

Both of us were into almost same bands Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rush and all the other Prog / Rock bands from that era.
I had more interest in bass related bands like early Gino Vannelli, Bruford (Jeff Berlin), Camel and some jazz/funk style albums that she had never really heard off. She then started getting into a wider and more varied musical taste.

Albums we both had :- Dark Side of the Moon, Trick of the Tail, Seconds Out, Hemispheres, 2112

We still listen to virtually the same bands and she even likes the Prog band i play in Mind Sculpture. :D

Dave

I'm incredibly lucky. Mrs G comes from a family who are all really into classical music, but she has a really open mind and is into Camel, Santana and Yes. I'm in to blues, rock and such and we cross over a lot. Most importantly she loves the sound of a good bass. She's also a keys player and I'm happy to listen to that too.

Boring huh? Sorry.

My (now ex) partner and I liked pretty much exactly the same types of music and the same bands - it was pretty much why we got together in the first place (going to watch her brother gigging with his band in Manchester).

Edited by HowieBass

I have such a broad musical taste I normally always have found common musical ground with whomever I was seeing.
Apart from 2 girlfriends 1 was into john barrow and other rubbish and the other liked crap coming from pop idol.

Me and my current gf have similar musical taste, which is good as currently teaching her bass so she enjoys learning what I enjoy playing.

No. There are a couple of bands we agree on, generally in the chill out/electronica realm (Lamb, Submotion Orchestra, Boards of Canada, Baths) but outside that, nope. She really can't stand the music I make... but is supportive all the same.

My Ex-wife was into all the same stuff as me... and look where that got us!

Edited by pantherairsoft