Why become a member? ×

Do you and your partner have similar musical tastes?

Roland Rock

My wife listens to soundtracks (War Of The Worlds, Lost Boys, Les Mis') and audio books.
We've been to loads of gigs together and she usually thinks the acts aren't very good. Except the James Taylor Quartet, she was amazed how they made the whole room dance! I guess standing and watching musicians just isn't her bag.
Although she was always the first one up to dance (and get everyone else up there) when I was in my last band.
She really does not care one F**k about what anyone else thinks of her.
She now has a love of Billie Holiday, Bill Evans, David Gilmour and The Smiths thanks to me though, so at least I'm getting somewhere now!

Very similar tastes, Mrs Scalpy and I. She introduced me to Alison Krauss' music and maybe I've introduced her to some classical stuff but we'd tear each other apart if we had different tastes. And it means we can play in bands together really easily.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1437895037' post='2829731']

I used to like the big orange ones. You could suck on those for hours if you were feeling a bit hot.
[/quote]
Haha 😂 small ones definitely aren't more juicy.

Met my other half 7+ years ago and had a few CDs the same, Bowie & Blondie I remember + some others. But the last concert she'd been to was Adam & The Ants :huh: - the first time around!!
I've since taken her to a few concerts, met up with some of the artists there - but SHE's the one who ends up on LinkedIn with them! :angry:

Similar taste, rock in general, though she likes some of the more modern growler bands like Rammstein that I can't stand. We also disagree on the relative merits of The Who and Led Zeppelin, as the dulcet tones of Mr Daltrey and Mr Townshend's tastefully concise guitar parts are clearly superior to Mr Plant's wobbly-pitched caterwauling and Mr Page's interminable widdling, though Mrs Zero appears unable to perceive this.

Ours overlap in a fuzzy way. There's a few things that we both like equally and there's plenty of stuff that's fuzzier.
eg. My robopartner loves Etta James. I have absolutely no problem with Etta James. I like the music when it's on, it's just not something I would put on when I'm on my own. The same can be said for lots of other albums/genres which means there's only a few things that are intolerable to the other. Things that can never be put on the car stereo.
But that's good. The last thing I want in a partner is somebody who's just like me.

I'm single so yes.... :blink:

But, going on past form, yes - music (gig/club/mutual music-freak friends/etc) has been involved in meeting n-1 ex-girlfriends. And as for her? Well, I had a "my work here is done" moment when I received a text reading "Meshuggah time!" from said young lady... :P

My better half and I have quite different music tastes I like a bit of everything as long as its technically interesting and well produced , Rock , prog, metal; Soul Funk blues ETC.

My other half is only interested in Black metal , death metal , grindcore , Folk metal and Mathcore .

She has actually threatended to hurt me when i've been practicing crowded house :-P for the covers gig.

Do Mrs.Dog and I have similar musical tastes?

Well, I like jazz. She says it sounds like they're all playing different songs.
She likes Bon Jovi. I think they sound like a beer advert.
I like soul & funk. She says it's lift music.
She likes Rod Stewart. My opinion would melt the profanity filter.
The only bands we both like are Yes and Rush. But she likes Yes more than I do, and I like Rush more than she does.
So broadly speaking, no.

My wife's taste in music is a subset of what I listen to. There's only a couple of acts she likes that I can't stand, Bruce Springsteen being one.

Fortunately the subset covers a wealth of different genres, so long car journeys together aren't as tortuous as they could be (the kids have no say in the matter).

Edited by bartelby

My girlfriend and I used to have very similar tastes in music when we first started going out, but not so much any more. I mostly listen to punk and hardcore and she would come with me to see bands like Gallows and The Chariot, but now I couldn't pay her to come out to those sorts of gigs; she listens to a lot of pop now. She still likes Brand New and The Smiths though and that's all that really matters.

45 years on having met in a blues club she is now listening to;
Coldplay ?
Musicals ?
What they call soul music today
and Teeny Bop chart stuff.
She claims she needs to, to sort out Synchronized Drowning music for the swimming club but wrecking my CD player :o.
I'm sure this stuff is contaminating my stereo system.

Me?
Still got the blues, real soul, loads of what they call Americana and jazz.

Although she did get excited to hear that The Zombies are touring again as per BBC1 this morning.

We did play Donovan's "Gift From a Flower to a Garden" and Traffic's second album last weekend.
Didn't seem the same though.
It was piddlin' with rain and the grand kids were hurtlin' around like good'ns.

Need a wee before getting my slippers...

Edited by Jazzneck

My wife isn't really into music at all, will always choose to read or watch tv over listening, but after 17 years of marriage she decided to opt to sing our annual music night for the first time (in house karaoke with a band, semi pre planned) and blew everyone away with no practice. I had no idea, not sure she did either.

Edited by lojo