Why become a member? ×

Anyone bought a new bass and found their fretting hand aches?

Lozz196

As above really, just got a new 2015 Precision, and the neck is a bit chunkier than my previous ones, and it`s making my fretting hand ache a bit. Anyone else had this, and if so did the ache go as you adapted to it?

The bass is great, sounds amazing, plays amazing, and I actually really like the chunky neck when playing, feels really solid, I just feel a slight ache after playing.

I had a similar thing many years ago when i switched from my first bass (an 'Axe' with a proper baseball bat neck) to my first 'proper' bass - a much slinkier Washburn Status.

As I recall I got over it within a few weeks. I think its just a case of your fretting hand being in a slightly different position which you're not used to yet.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1436910494' post='2822060']
I'm sure its just adjusting to the new neck shape :) probably go away in a week or so...

any pics of the new beast?
[/quote]

I really hope so. I can sort pics, but true to current form, it`s a black/black/maple Precision so just like all the basses I`ve had over the last year or so :D

Yes, had the exact same problem, but you may be unnerved to hear that the only way I got my hand to stop aching was to get rid of the bass! Having said that I have lady size hands and it was a mike didn't signature p with a cricket bat sized neck so fingers crossed!! Give it time and see will be the only way!

Good luck!

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1436910765' post='2822067'] A week sounds about right, that's roughly how long it took me to get comfortable going from a Jazz to a Stingray. [/quote]

That's actually quite reassuring to me cheers.

I've just about made up my mind to order a Music Man Reflex Bass at some point in the next 12 months (when my finances should be able to cover it if I keep my belt tight) & the only slight niggle of doubt in my mind is that I probably won't be able able to test drive one before I order as they seem to be super rare in the UK & the necks on the Music Man Stingrays I've played are a fair bit chunkier than anything I've owned in recent years.

Edited by Cato

Keep the hand relaxed, try to rest it where possible, and try to keep playing gently.

If it continues for a while - I'd say try lighter strings or lower action (nut and bridge) and less relief. I find most aches in my fretting hand tend to come from playing too hard. By making the bass play with very low action I've found my right hand can't dig in as much without excessive noise - which helps me keep the fretting hand lighter with it. I've yet to master heavy handed plucking/picking with a relaxed and light fretting hand.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436910864' post='2822073']
I really hope so. I can sort pics, but true to current form, it`s a black/black/maple Precision so just like all the basses I`ve had over the last year or so :D
[/quote]

it'll be interesting to compare the new one against the older vintage models.

Of the Fenders I have tried the recent ones have been exceptional... all this talk of them dropping the ball with their preposterously massive model range, company debts, Bono on the board etc. doesnt seem to be making any difference to the instruments they are knocking out.

... they are still the standard after all this time... J or a P with a hardcase for around a grand... still the yardstick.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436910864' post='2822073']
[/quote]

Now if you'd done more research, you'd have discovered that 8 out of 10 Basschatters (who expressed an opinion) prefer rosewood ...

I had a similar experience when I first got my fretless Warwick, with fretting hand cramp. Probably took 4-6 weeks to fully adjust to the neck (still working on the always 'being in tune' bit). Suggest you give it time and stop playing if you get pain... build up slowly, and allow sufficient recovery time... frustrating in short term but hopefully worth it in long term, if you like the bass enough.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436911107' post='2822076']
So how many is that now, Lozz..? Three..? :)
[/quote]

Hmmm, 4 at present though two are going to be on their way.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1436937214' post='2822137']
Hey Lozz, I can offer you light at the end of the tunnel.

In 2-3 weeks we're due to trade basses. I'll happily trade for the horrible fat neck one if you like. ;)
[/quote]

Optimistic Rich, I`ll give you that (but you`re still not having it) :D
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1436951152' post='2822223']
Now if you'd done more research, you'd have discovered that 8 out of 10 Basschatters (who expressed an opinion) prefer rosewood ...
[/quote]

Bah :angry:

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1436911649' post='2822083']

That's actually quite reassuring to me cheers.

I've just about made up my mind to order a Music Man Reflex Bass at some point in the next 12 months (when my finances should be able to cover it if I keep my belt tight) & the only slight niggle of doubt in my mind is that I probably won't be able able to test drive one before I order as they seem to be super rare in the UK & the necks on the Music Man Stingrays I've played are a fair bit chunkier than anything I've owned in recent years.
[/quote]
Where are you based? I have a Music Man 25th Anniversary 4 string (the same as the reflex but with the a fancy finish limited to 2009 production that later became the Reflex). I'm in Bolton so if you're close you're more than welcome to come and have a play. If not, maybe another owner closer to you could accommodate? It's always worth trying before you buy. I also have a stingray & the necks are completely different to the reflex. I'd say the reflex neck is very similar to a bongo. It may be easier to try one of these as there are more of them about.