Why become a member? ×

Jazz on electric bass... Saint or Sinner?

Modman

Good evening one and all,

I wan to start playing Jazz standards properly, whether that be in a band or at a Jam night etc but is it a cardinal sin to play an electric bass? Put it another way... Am i going to be sneered and spat at by the Jazzer elites?

Edited by Modman

Yes. You'll be viewed with suspicion for using the newfangled instrument even though it's now 55 plus years old. Jazz purists are essentially the musical Amish who'll argue forever about whether the rhythm sections swings. All while your audience dwindles to other players participating in the jam night. And they'll bitch about your phrasing.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I did it for ten out of thirteen years in a band playing tunes from the 30s and 40s and I replaced a guy who played electric. Try telling Steve Swallow he's wrong. He's a monster talent on electric in jazz. Try using a semi-hollow with piezos in the bridge. Might temper some nae sayers.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1435261516' post='2807153']
I depped for a gig. The guys were used to a 'proper' bass.

Raised an eyebrow when I pulled a sparkly orange bongo out of the case
[/quote]

That's a euphemism right?

There are still a few jazz double bass fakers out there because the relative softness of the bass - especially with muddy amplification - means that their notes can stay hidden. On a BG there's not a lot of hiding and it can actually be more difficult to do a jazz gig well. To be honest I'd prefer the dynamics of a double bass in jazz but if you turned up with your BG I wouldn't see too much of a problem, unless you're playing with a bunch of musical bigots. There's a guy in Oxford called Jezz Cook who is primarily a six string guy but when he plays BG he can play most of the upright guys out of the town.

Edited by bassace

At the Jazz jam I go to, I rock up with a Fender P with flats, the house bassist uses a Jazz bass or something else electric, depends who it is. One thing I get asked is how do I get such a nice tone, all the guys there like it cause it's bright and modern, but mellow and old school. My answer. P Bass with Thomastik Infeld Flats, and a KiOgon wiring loom.

FWIW, my P is a 2011 Mex, it still has a stock Pick up.

Music is Music.

I like the sound of a double bass played well, in fact I like any instrument played well. There are people who like their music well and truly elitst and in my experience they like 'Jam nights' to be their own domain.

So if you want to play and sound like other people playing the same old tired covers of miserable old claptrap, go ahead try and fit in - its unlikely that you will or you can concentrate on music with your chosen instrument played in your way and create your own art that still obeys the rules of harmony and enjoy yourself.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1435264032' post='2807181']
There are still a few jazz double bass fakers out there because the relative softness of the bass - especially with muddy amplification - means that their notes can stay hidden. On a BG there's not a lot of hiding and it can actually be more difficult to do a jazz gig well.
[/quote]

So you've been to my gigs, then ? :) This is very true - I bought my BG to my last jazz gig and it was definitely 'different'....

There's something about the envelope of DB notes that lends itself better to walking bass lines IMHO, but it's subtle and can be achieved on BG with a bit of muting / EQ etc.

[quote name='tinyd' timestamp='1435315412' post='2807558']
So you've been to my gigs, then ? :) This is very true - I bought my BG to my last jazz gig and it was definitely 'different'....

There's something about the envelope of DB notes that lends itself better to walking bass lines IMHO, but it's subtle and can be achieved on BG with a bit of muting / EQ etc.
[/quote]

I believe it's the way the note 'swells' as you play the string, such that the peak volume actually arrives a little bit 'late' and gives the impression of playing behind the beat. Which is not to say you can't deliberately play behind the beat on a BG - or, indeed, get close to the effect using a fretless.