Why become a member? ×

No One Knows

Nicko

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1435233796' post='2806764']

That's my setup - what gauge strings are you using?
[/quote]
I play in C standard and use the bottom four of a five string set, I have to tune up to it, rather than dropping, which helps stop it from being floppy, especially as it is a 34" scale. The C is a .130 but if you could get hold of a string between .118 and .125 that'd do it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1435241766' post='2806895']
Do you get any rules to follow?
[/quote]
That and this, these and those.

But basically the answer is you cant really play play it on a 4 string with normal strings. I'm glad its not my technique.

For the record, Nick Oliveri made up his own string sets. Heavy GHS Bass Boomers .115 & .95 for his C & F strings, and Ernie Ball Power Slinky .75 & .55 for his Bb & Eb strings (C natural tuning)

There's a vid on YouTube knocking around where he says this but can't find it again.

The trick is to get just enough tension while still being a bit flubby to get that dark crunch if that makes sense! \m/

Played it in a trio with a 4 str in std tuning by using an octaver (mxr) & playing the low c on the a string an the high c on the g string. Sounded ok. I sang it too (clever clogs!). Cant do that down tuning floppy flappy string thing, dont work for me.

I used to play it on a standard four string with the e dropped to c.
Got the tone absolutely nailed and didn't find a problem with the c string.
At a large beer festival (1500 people or so) a chap comes up to me in the break saying he's never heard another band get the bass spot on so it must've sounded alright.
Saying that, there were 270 different beers to choose from so what state his brain was in, no one knows. :)

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1435254732' post='2807060']
DR drop tuning strings tuned down to C worked for me
[/quote]

+1

I've just been using these after a recommendation this week from Mark Stickley (Bass Direct), my E is down to B on with .115 and a 34" scale

I don't think you want everyhting too tight. The song's supposed to be ratty and dirty - a bit of flop and rattle won't hurt.
I played in drop C for years using 50 - 110 Rotosounds. But, for the heavier way of life, I much prefer downtuned 4 strings to fivers, you can get a far more aggressive sound. IMHO and all that. :D

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1435246644' post='2806959']

That and this, these and those.

But basically the answer is you cant really play play it on a 4 string with normal strings. I'm glad its not my technique.
[/quote]

I'd disagree, I play this in our set in a schecter pj with standard 105's. It's a little loose, but it's meant to be that way if you listen to the recording. If it's the o my song you play in that tuning, it may sound off to your ears, but I play a couple tuned to Db so I'm used to the feel.
Is it possible you are being a touch to gentle with your right hand?
My setup is the above with just the P pickup, tone full, gritty overdrive sansamp VT, and dig in!