Why become a member? ×

Playing brown sugar live

bonzodog

As my covers band already do a couple of rolling stones songs we decided to give brown sugar a try. All went home to learn it with me singing lead vox as well as bass and when we played it at rehearsal last week we absolutely nailed it. It really is a great song to play.
However it was only when I was learning the lyrics I realised what a dark song it is (for some reason I thought it was about drugs).
Does anyone else play it and could it cause offence? After googling it, it would appear some do find it a bit offensive.
For anyone that doesnt know its about the black slaves on board a ship being raped so not exactly a light hearted song

I'm sorry in advance if I'm going to offend some of you.....
This is a classic Rolling Stones rock'n'roll song and it is part of music history as the subject matter is part of our worlds history.
Like it or lump it, do not allow the PC brigade to rewrite history.
My opinion is - play it - if people listen to the lyrics they may understand a bit of that history which shouldn't be buried under the dross of todays pop music.

Edited by Jazzneck

I've heard this since it came out, all those decades ago, but actually looked up the lyrics to see what this topic was about. I've [i]heard [/i]'em, yes, but never, in all that time, [i]listened [/i]to 'em..! 'Twas a revelation; I had no idea. Does it shock..? I wouldn't be comfortable singing that, but I'll not turn off the radio if it comes on. I suppose it depends just how 'punk' one wants to appear.

I did it at a one-off covers gig earlier this year with two of my daughters on BVs. They pointed this out and sang it under duress.

It's good fun to play but I'll suggest swopping it for another Stones classic if there's a next time.

Another band I play in regularly does "Hey Little School Girl, can I go home with you". The singer usually remembers to make it "Little Sweetheart " instead but I cringe when he forgets. Some things don't age well.

OK, so the scarred old slaver is a racist misogynist, but what about the houseboy? And don't get me started on the lady of the house.

The idea that the song is about (female) slaves being raped on the slaveship doesn't actually fit the lyrics. At all.

The slaver is in a brothel in New Orleans. The houseboy is the guy who gets the drinks etc. but also gets to sleep with the girls. The lady of the house is more commonly called the Madam.

Does that make it a nice lyric? No, but at least it's historically accurate, it paints a striking picture with a handful of words, and it's still a great rock song more than 40 years later.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1434485643' post='2800139']
OK, so the scarred old slaver is a racist misogynist, but what about the houseboy? And don't get me started on the lady of the house.

The idea that the song is about (female) slaves being raped on the slaveship doesn't actually fit the lyrics. At all.

The slaver is in a brothel in New Orleans. The houseboy is the guy who gets the drinks etc. but also gets to sleep with the girls. The lady of the house is more commonly called the Madam.

Does that make it a nice lyric? No, but at least it's historically accurate, it paints a striking picture with a handful of words, and it's still a great rock song more than 40 years later.
[/quote]

Thank you Jack, much more accurate and eloquent than my feeble attempt posted above. :)

I thought it was supposed to be about Claudia Lennear. Oh well.

There's a very good band round these parts called Olaf who utterly nail this, largely due to the authentic use of a 5-string Telecaster in Open G. It's rumoured that Keef learnt this from Martin Carthy.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1434484138' post='2800115']
I'm sorry in advance if I'm going to offend some of you.....
This is a classic Rolling Stones rock'n'roll song and it is part of music history as the subject matter is part of our worlds history.
Like it or lump it, do not allow the PC brigade to rewrite history.
My opinion is - play it - if people listen to the lyrics they may understand a bit of that history which shouldn't be buried under the dross of todays pop music.
[/quote]

The fact there is a song written about this topic and that it is regularly performed, does not mean that anyone who performs it condones slavery, rape or prostitution. These are topics it is important to actually talk about and for them to be present in our society as a pointer back to the past, and for it to be ok to be talked about. Sweeping it under the carpet is the wrong thing to do. What about all the millions of women who are still in slavery and sexual slavery today? This topic still needs to be in the public eye. Are we supposed to ban the Blues? That is how I would talk to a disgruntled punter about it anyway....

http://www.globalslaveryindex.org

I would have no problem performing it. I guess any criticism should be levied at the writers of the lyrics, not those who perform it. You have a right to freedom of expression, and there is no right for others not to be offended. I guess it's a personal choice.

I've just had a look at the lyrics and am amazed as I too, have heard this song so many times, but never actually heard what he was singing about. Fact is, it gets played on mainstream radio every day, so if some idiot complains, I would tend to ignore them. It's a great song and if it has a message, all the better. It's not as if its glorifying slavery or rape, is it?

Growing up I learned things from musical lyrics , even if I didn't understand the song fully , lyrics threw up questions , I don't see that happening now with pop.

Most lyrics now are very self centered (ok I'm sure there's good stuff out there)

If anyone is offended by it my guess is they are either trying to say "look at how PC and sensitive I am" or they have educated to think music and fun can't be mixed with a message on the darker (excuse the pun) side of history and life , and some of the aweful things humans have done (and still do)

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1434523187' post='2800324']
[url="http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/brown-sugar-still-tastes-good.html"]http://www.vulture.c...astes-good.html[/url]

Keep the music and rewrite some of the lyrics.
[/quote]

No!

The song is the song!

Might as well talk about "Baa Baa Black Sheep" yet again, shall we?

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1434524613' post='2800331']
No!

The song is the song!

Might as well talk about "Baa Baa Black Sheep" yet again, shall we?
[/quote]

Songs evolve with new lyrics/arrangements all the time.

I happen not to like the original lyrics as I find them in poor taste. I am however against censorship in Art. I am also against censorship of personnal opinions/preferences toward Art.

I am not suggesting if we play it, people will assume we are support the content. I just wondered if anyone had had bad experiences playing it. I am not sure how comfortable I would be singing it if there were people in the audience who may get offended rightly or wrongly.

Its interesting that some of the lyrics web sites have changed the words, most notably 'with the women' instead of 'whip the women'. Not sure if this is deliberate or not as they do get quite a few wrong in other songs

Edited by bonzodog

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1434523203' post='2800326']
I often dep in a steel panther tribute act. Playing brown sugar wouldn't be the worst thing I ever played.
[/quote]

Death to all butt-metal