Why become a member? ×

All hale Chris Wolstenholme

BassBus

I suppose it's all relative really. Most of the "great" players wouldn't necessarily work in different contexts but I think that is something which is true for most people as nobody is good at everything. Not Jaco, Mark King, John Entwistle or whomever your idol might be would work in a different situation. Whilst they all are great at what they do, none of them would work that well in a different genre.

Even the best session musicians in the world whether that be Nathan East or Pino can't do everything well. Pino's destruction of the Who as a live entity being a prime example. He's ruined that band.

Whilst I agree with JTUK's comments per se they do read as being quite bitter in some context, which I'm sure wasn't the intent.

For my own part, I can do maybe 2 things very well. The John Entwistle style (double hand tapping) and the usual nonsense that entails in that sort of "lead bass" style. The other being a style more in line with Justin Chancellor which is more in the progressive metal type vein which lends itself to the odd time meters and heavily polyrythymic playing (which I truly love).

Would I fit in a funk band? Not really. Then again, I have no interest in being in a band like that. Everyone concentrates on what they need for what they do. It's just logic really. So to criticise someone shouting "one trick pony" is merely oneself looking at one's own proficiency in the mirror.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432720274' post='2784186']
I find him to be a better composer than bassist.
[/quote]

I find the distinction somewhat moot - is there such a thing as a great "bassist" who cannot compose good lines ?.

well a lot of good bassists either need music to read, or improvise over chords in a pretty "standard" way - however impressive their technique

What CW does with muse is to compose a bassline which makes so much more of the song than your standard root-5th-jam would do.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1432724060' post='2784246']
Would I fit in a funk band? Not really. Then again, I have no interest in being in a band like that. Everyone concentrates on what they need for what they do. It's just logic really. So to criticise someone shouting "one trick pony" is merely oneself looking at one's own proficiency in the mirror.
[/quote]

12 string Hamer funk! Must see :)

Edited by HazBeen

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1432741137' post='2784480']

12 string Hamer funk! Must see :)
[/quote]

Yeah, well ironically I did do some slap on my 12 string on one of my band's last ep. That was a challenge actually and one I really enjoyed. However, I'd imagine that neither Mark King, Stanley Clarke or Flea would have been worried....

In addition to what was said in this thread, NOBODY can do it all equally well. Some can't do anything well, some have a few bits they excel at (I stick myself in this group), some can do a lot well, but even the most complete player will not be as complete in all areas. In my opinion music should be about getting the best out of yourself and more importantly expressing yourself, at whatever level, and if you find bits you excel at good on you.

Chris is a solid player in Muse and his skill shines through, if he is outside that setting to me is pretty irrelevant as he is the bass player of Muse, not the bassist with Chick Corea. I only resent him for his effect on the Akai synth prices :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1432718810' post='2784159']
I definitely saw him first, anyway it's my forum so I'll just have the last word and delete the database and shut down the server :yarr:
[/quote]

Note to Charic: Order plane tickets to Bolivia before Ped realises that we swapped his laptop for an Etch-a-Sketch.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1432682893' post='2783997']
To JTUK

I've just been mulling over the content of my post above and am conscious that it could be taken the wrong way.
I just think I'm a glass half full kind of person rather than a half empty.
I get enough of the half empty crapola at work and take umbridge to wherever else I see it.
I think even you would have to admit that he's bloody good at what he does within Muse.
I think there would be fairly decent odds that he could take it further in some other direction.

Just sayin' - if you'll excuse the quote :-)
[/quote]

I did say that he did very well in Muse.
And I also said this wasn't all about the one guy..I said many bass players...and muso's for that matter,
excel in only environment and that is understandable as well.
It doesn't make them great, IMO. It may make them God in certain fans eyes... but I've never got that either.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1432724060' post='2784246']
I suppose it's all relative really. Most of the "great" players wouldn't necessarily work in different contexts but I think that is something which is true for most people as nobody is good at everything. Not Jaco, Mark King, John Entwistle or whomever your idol might be would work in a different situation. Whilst they all are great at what they do, none of them would work that well in a different genre.

Even the best session musicians in the world whether that be Nathan East or Pino can't do everything well. Pino's destruction of the Who as a live entity being a prime example. He's ruined that band.

Whilst I agree with JTUK's comments per se they do read as being quite bitter in some context, which I'm sure wasn't the intent.

For my own part, I can do maybe 2 things very well. The John Entwistle style (double hand tapping) and the usual nonsense that entails in that sort of "lead bass" style. The other being a style more in line with Justin Chancellor which is more in the progressive metal type vein which lends itself to the odd time meters and heavily polyrythymic playing (which I truly love).

[/quote]

I just didn't agree that being in MUse and playing on a gazillion records and making even more money constitutes 'great;...so I think that is a post or thread
that a fan would make rather than it be objective.

Both Jaco and Mark King got asked to play in different outfits... but the problem is that you get Mark King for doing what he does best..which is an amazing exponent of slap..and then it becomes more about him on the track that the track itself... and also, why would MK play like that for someone else...he would rather do that for L42.?? However, his fingerstyle talent is right up there as well... . As for Jaco, he worked outside of Weather Report quite a lot.

John Entwhistle...?? er, not so much but he is also a one man band type player, I'd say.

This reminds me of a story I heard from my old drummer. A lady had phoned him up before enquiring about lessons for her son. She said 'he doesn't need to learn how to play the drums, he only needs to learn how to play one song- Territorial P*ssings (Nirvana) for a performance'. So he needs to learn to play the drums then, came the drummers reply.

I think there is a misconception sometimes that you don't have to be that good, to play one thing well.

Many musicians play in one style their whole career.

Is Clapton not a great guitarist?

... Actually don't answer that ;)

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1432752878' post='2784676']...'he doesn't need to learn how to play the drums, he only needs to learn how to play one song- Territorial P*ssings (Nirvana) for a performance'...
[/quote]

Well, good luck with that..! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1432738833' post='2784449']

I find the distinction somewhat moot - is there such a thing as a great "bassist" who cannot compose good lines ?.
[/quote]

Yes.

Just like Nigel Kennedy who is a great violinist and hasn't written a concerto.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432757242' post='2784741']
Yes.

Just like Nigel Kennedy who is a great violinist and hasn't written a concerto.
[/quote]

Yeah but classical is a different animal in a way that I think is pretty obvious to anyone here, so frankly anyone bringing that up is just spoiling for an argument (and one in which I shall not be engaging in any further).

Edited by bassman7755

The thing with being a Bass player, is as a rule you are the most continually loud thing on stage, people can feel you in the car park 200yds from the venue. When you stop playing, most of what people are hearing vanishes...It's ok having the power to move the air around you, and have people 'feel' what you are doing in their stomachs, but all this power is pointless without the ability to control it... You can't just pull the trigger and hope for the best, it needs to be focused and used where it is most effective. The best players are aware of this, and use there ability not to just play the right notes in the right order, but to support and enhance the rest of the band by providing the perfect framework for everything else to work around. I have said it before, but volume does not equate to skill or audience enjoyment, control is what does this..

I've never been a huge Muse fan, but I saw them at a press gig at Sound Control in Leicester Square just before the release of their first album. I thought they were awesome. They blew the place apart and you knew they were going to be massive. I've always had a lot of respect for them because of that gig as they brought the noise and cut the mustard.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1432743161' post='2784525']
Note to Charic: Order plane tickets to Bolivia before Ped realises that we swapped his laptop for an Etch-a-Sketch.
[/quote]

Give me a couple of days to sketch you an answer

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1432793805' post='2784969']
Give me a couple of days to sketch you an answer
[/quote]

Whatever else you do, don't go shaking the ...

Too late..! You'll just have to start all over again. <_<

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1432763924' post='2784842']

Yeah but classical is a different animal in a way that I think is pretty obvious to anyone here, so frankly anyone bringing that up is just spoiling for an argument (and one in which I shall not be engaging in any further).
[/quote]

Not spoiling for an argument.

Music is music.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1432975847' post='2786665']
I saw him on later, thought he looked like he hadn't slept for about a month.
[/quote]

Probably read this thread and hasn't slept stressing about how to improve his playing :)