Why become a member? ×

All hale Chris Wolstenholme

BassBus

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1432564774' post='2782700']

Was that Tom? We've just recorded a couple of tracks there. He alluded to the same thing when talking about the bands he'd had in there.

Nice guy.
[/quote]
Yes it was, and yes, he is. How did you get on? We had a terrific time there, although it was a long day.

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1432590251' post='2783142']

Yes it was, and yes, he is. How did you get on? We had a terrific time there, although it was a long day.
[/quote]

It went well I think. I knew we'd have issues with our drummer, which we did, but nothing a click and a gentle suggestion to slow things down a touch didn't resolve.

Got a decent rough mix, waiting on Tom to comp vocals and sort levels and we should have ourselves a couple of decent recordings.

Would that we were all in a position for other people to be discussing our repertoire and chops. Mr Wolstenholme is laying it down in a situation that is the stuff of dreams for most of us. Who knows if he deps in a local trad band now and again or perhaps plays along to Latin vids on youtube? Maybe he has a P bass with flats on it just for the moments when he wants to play along with JJ? Who knows?

I think if I had unlimited time on my hands between stadium gigs, a bottomless pit of money, sponsors drooling over me and offering me any gear I wanted, access to any guitars on the planet a mere phone call way, any tutor in the world at my disposal, never having to worry about my 40 hours a week job, a morgage, re payments on any credit cards etc, in fact no worries about anything that 99% of the population do have, and the luxury to be able to sit around all day and think about all of this good stuff, and when the fancy takes me, nip into my home recording studio at any time, and for as long as I wanted, to rehearse, I reckon I might be able to knock out a couple of dozen decent bass lines every year... On the other hand, a lot of the guys reading this thread have to cover dozens of different styles, know hundreds of songs, be able to 'blag' their way thru some gigs, manage to buy gear on a shoe string budget, learn songs at the drop of a hat, and do it all for peanuts.......'Us.'

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432656046' post='2783657']
I think if I had unlimited time on my hands between stadium gigs, a bottomless pit of money, sponsors drooling over me and offering me any gear I wanted, access to any guitars on the planet a mere phone call way, any tutor in the world at my disposal, never having to worry about my 40 hours a week job, a morgage, re payments on any credit cards etc, in fact no worries about anything that 99% of the population do have, and the luxury to be able to sit around all day and think about all of this good stuff, and when the fancy takes me, nip into my home recording studio at any time, and for as long as I wanted, to rehearse, I reckon I might be able to knock out a couple of dozen decent bass lines every year... On the other hand, a lot of the guys reading this thread have to cover dozens of different styles, know hundreds of songs, be able to 'blag' their way thru some gigs, manage to buy gear on a shoe string budget, learn songs at the drop of a hat, and do it all for peanuts.......'Us.'
[/quote]

Most of the revered players are those that bring something unique and creative to a specific situation.

I agree Bassman, but I would much sooner watch someone be 'creative' instantly, on the spot, with no planning beforehand, and fractions of a second to think about what to do, how to do it, and where to go next, beat after beat, bar after bar. A lot of these 'big' players are either playing riffs they have played a thousand times before, or rehearsed to death in a studio, so they can't fail to get it right. Also, these lads a lot of the time are being screamed and yelled at by their adoring public because this adoration is all about familiarity with a song, and not musicianship. I have seen crowds become delirious because they know the chorus to Brown Eyed Girl or Mustang Sally. The crowd go nuts, but it's shallow praise for the band, as its not for them...it's for familiarity, and the audience buying into a chorus they know inside out. Go to the Funk Realm Jam Night in Birmingham, and you will see strangers getting up with each other and hypnotising a crowd with nothing but musicianship and creativity, there and then, on the spot, never heard before or again, and cheered for their skill, and not for reasons of 'familiarity'

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1432641313' post='2783443']
I really don't understand what Chris has done to deserve this snipe.
Putting "just sayin'" at the end doesn't excuse your unfounded criticism.
[/quote]

Don't get why you are being so precious about 'Chris' but assume you know him and are being protective
or you are a big fan.
I'm just saying that people who have played in one band for many many years can get very proficient at
the one thing they do. That doesn't always a make them a great bass player..which it what I was answering to.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1432656122' post='2783659']
what's this saturday night performance I've missed? On TV?

I was well into muse up until Absolution. They seemed to lose their "edge" whatever that was. Anyway, yes, he's a monster player!
[/quote]
It was the Radio 1 Big Weekendlast weekend, in Norwich, and shown on BBC3 . Muse headlined the Saturday night . Still available on iPlayer, and i'd say worth a look even if you're not a fan.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432661854' post='2783729']
I agree Bassman, but I would much sooner watch someone be 'creative' instantly, on the spot, with no planning beforehand, and fractions of a second to think about what to do, how to do it, and where to go next, beat after beat, bar after bar. A lot of these 'big' players are either playing riffs they have played a thousand times before, or rehearsed to death in a studio, so they can't fail to get it right.
[/quote]

I get where your coming from but for myself I only care about the end product - the actual moment where finger and string meet, what's gone on before (or not) is of no consequence. I don't see music as sport where everyone has to operate under the same constraints in order to determine who is the "best".

[quote]
Also, these lads a lot of the time are being screamed and yelled at by their adoring public because this adoration is all about familiarity with a song, and not musicianship. I have seen crowds become delirious because they know the chorus to Brown Eyed Girl or Mustang Sally. The crowd go nuts, but it's shallow praise for the band, as its not for them...it's for familiarity
[/quote]

I dont see any harm in it, its a shared reverie, a collective celebration, its like when people go to a monty python concert and roar in laughter at jokes they have all heard 100 times, if I'm at an AC/DC concert and angus young does that pseudo spanish sounding hammer-on thingie at the end of his solo spot thats hes done for 30 years and the crowd is going mental you can bet I'll be joining in and not thinking "yeah but I bet he cant play so what at 160 bpm".

Music isn't about rewarding the cleverest, its about entertainment and making people feel good, making people feel that are part of something, almost a tribal thing in a way.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1432661854' post='2783729']
I agree Bassman, but I would much sooner watch someone be 'creative' instantly, on the spot, with no planning beforehand, and fractions of a second to think about what to do, how to do it, and where to go next, beat after beat, bar after bar. A lot of these 'big' players are either playing riffs they have played a thousand times before, or rehearsed to death in a studio, so they can't fail to get it right. Also, these lads a lot of the time are being screamed and yelled at by their adoring public because this adoration is all about familiarity with a song, and not musicianship. I have seen crowds become delirious because they know the chorus to Brown Eyed Girl or Mustang Sally. The crowd go nuts, but it's shallow praise for the band, as its not for them...it's for familiarity, and the audience buying into a chorus they know inside out. Go to the Funk Realm Jam Night in Birmingham, and you will see strangers getting up with each other and hypnotising a crowd with nothing but musicianship and creativity, there and then, on the spot, never heard before or again, and cheered for their skill, and not for reasons of 'familiarity'
[/quote]

Ye gods. Imagine how awful unplanned creativity would be!

No more Mozart, Bach, Beethoven.

I need to lie down.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1432558359' post='2782610']

He is great in Muse... depends what he could play outside of that band.

Many many bass players ( and other players, come to that ) that find their perfect niche in a successful band
may be pretty one dimensional outside it.
Maybe they wont care as they have more money than they could ever spend but their skill may not transfer
at all...

just sayin'
[/quote]

But there are a lot of players where we will never know how good they are outside of their chosen niche as we don't get to hear them. I was really lucky to hear Gary Moore sound check. Didn't like his usual style but the version of Moon River he played, complete with beautiful chord inversions was stunning. Who knows what CW does outside of Muse, I'd like to hazard a guess that he is a more rounded player than you give him credit for.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1432677880' post='2783955']
TBH I don't think Chris gives a s*** about some mid life crisis geezers on BC who think he can't cover all the styles. Go back to drinking your Ovaltine, you tear stained losers.
[/quote]

+1

Paco De Lucia was never slagged off for not covering all the styles.

I watched Muse's performance on iPlayer and they are undeniably a great rock band, whether you like their music or no, they do 'it'. I'm not a big Muse fan, I like some of their material but not all.

Chris Wolstenholme is a great bass player and a very good musician

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1432718315' post='2784152']
He's mine and you can't have him!

Like he'd ever look at you anyway!

;)
[/quote]

I definitely saw him first, anyway it's my forum so I'll just have the last word and delete the database and shut down the server :yarr:

Getting back on topic for a moment (as none of you skanks have a chance), I find him to be a better composer than bassist.

I don't find any of his lines difficult (no doubt caused by my excessive Sheehan worship in my youth) but I really like the composition of the bass parts. For me that is a far more impressive skill than just getting your fingers in the right place at the right time. Even on the newer stuff, which I don't like as much there is real thought in the bass parts.

If there is anything I would hail about him (or anyone) it would be those composition & arrangement skills.

(I am assuming he writes his parts and isn't just handed them by the others)