Why become a member? ×

Moving From 4 to 5 String.

Hobbayne

I have always played a 4 string P Bass, but I saw a Sterling SUB 5 string in the window at Wunjos for a really good price, and er.. :unsure:
I am fiddling with it and am finding myself getting lost and hitting the low B string thinking its the E.
Anyone got any tips for folks moving from 4 to 5??

... try to take advantage of the extended range (2 octave run with no shift now possible) and keep on with it. I probably find 4 strings easier, but love the range of a 5 so am sticking with them. I also use a sort of floating thumb technique so the B string is a great resting point for my thumb when playing on the E string etc. This also helps me get a map of where the strings are in relation to my right hand helping to play the correct string.

Edited by jimbobothy

Practice, practice,practice.. Eventually it will feel comfortable and natural. I'm not sure what style of music you play but you might find that playing your usual lines in a diifferent place on the fret board and making them more 'vertical' by using all 5 strings will help.

I still find switching between Warwick (5) and the Jazz Bass (4) a little odd if i play them back-to-back although I suspect thats more to do with the string spacing rather than 4 vs 5. Maybe thats something to consider?

Keep going with it, I'm sure you'll work it out in time. :)

I actually find the move back to 4 harder and end up playing a 4th higher. As others have said, it's just practice and getting comfy with it. The hardest thing I found when I first moved to a 5 was keeping that B string muted, but again practice was key. Enjoy it, those SUB 'Ray 5s are very nice basses for the money (I fancied a blue one with rosewood board, but I've only ever seen pictures of them).

Guest bassman7755

People seem to various levels of success with this. What I did was essentially ignore the low B for the first few hours of playing it (in my case this was at a band rehearsal on the same day as I got the new bass) and then gradually started chucking in a few tasty low notes. If you have problems I guess you could even try removing the low B string from the bass to start with until your finger adjust to the new string positions.

If youve got an android or Iphone then this app might help your brain adjust http://www.5diamondmusic.com/bass-apps/bass-note-workout-app/

Edited by bassman7755

It'll only take a couple of hour's playing to get over the 'wrong string' syndrome.

Concentrate on playing across the fretboard instead of up & down. I start at the 5th fret if I'm playing in E (for example) and that allows mo to go across without shifting up or down.

G.

I've had three 5'ers over the years and each time I got rid because I just couldn't get on with it.

A recent cull meant I was down to one bass and I decided to make that one a 5'er, reasoning that if that's my only bass, I'd have to learn to play it.

A few months in and I think I've just about got the hang of it - I'm not a great bassist anyway, so I was starting from a pretty low point anyway (badum tish) but I've found if I don't think about it, it's easier than if I consciously think "right, now I'm going down to Eb".

So, rambling aside, try locking your 4 string away for a month or so.

A bit of practice and you will soon feel at home on it, the hardest thing for me is the switch back to 4 strings, if feels like you need to order a taxi to get from one string to the next....I have long since worried I could get far to used to a 5 string to the detriment of by beloved 4 strings...hence I rarely play the 5 string...shame really

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1431859408' post='2775588']
Hitting the wrong string is par for the course.

Don't worry, put your 4 string away and work on the 5er. Practice will convert your licks to 5 strings.
[/quote]

I found this when I first made the transition, eventually I started to get the hang of it once I started playing scales and arpeggios from all the low notes on the B string. The main thing to remember is that once you get the hang of playing those low D's, Eb's, etc, those notes need to be used sparingly. If you just "ride" those notes all the time whenever possible, it doesn't work for the listener (IMO).

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1431859129' post='2775580']
Anyone got any tips for folks moving from 4 to 5??
[/quote]

Buy a 5-string. Play it.

It's a long time side I made the transition (back in 1989) but I can't remember ever having a problem dealing with the extra string. But at that time I had just come back to the bass after spending most of the 80s playing synths. Before that I also played guitar (6 and 12 string), mandolin and balalaika, so was used to dealing with instruments with different numbers of strings.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1431899376' post='2776102']
i always thought its best to concentrate on playing from the B string. don't treat it like a 4 string with an extra string. really get to know all those notes on the B string.
[/quote]

This ^ +1.. :)

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1431859762' post='2775594']
I also use a sort of floating thumb technique so the B string is a great resting point for my thumb when playing on the E string etc. This also helps me get a map of where the strings are in relation to my right hand helping to play the correct string.
[/quote]
[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1431867306' post='2775674']
I found the transition easy - I credit this to ditching my "thumb on the pickup" as an anchor point and adopting a "floating thumb" technique instead....if that makes sense?
[/quote]

Another bass player showed me 'floating thumb' and after I'd been doing it for a while I found this video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/media]

Look at videos of any top bass player. You're not going to find many using floating thumb.

IMO, you're getting to grips with more important changes to your technique without adding non essential stuff.

If you think this is really something you need to explore, do it [i]after[/i] you've mastered the change to 5 stings.

Moveable anchor is what most players, even "pro" players, use. For a 5 string it's just an extension on what most people use on a 4 string and IMO it's much better to deal with one significant change at a time.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1431946665' post='2776393']
I took some advice from Mark at Bass Direct and went with a Lull.
Love that bass and believe me, I never thought I would say that about 5 string. The "B" is devastating.
[/quote]

100% thumbs up for Mark from me.

And owning a 5 string Lull P bass really has been the high point in my playing career.