Why become a member? ×

Least favourite? Most hated?

ubit

There was a big musical change for me about 6 years ago, thanks to the PS3 driving game Burnout Paradise.
Before that, I’d always fallen into what I now [i]personally [/i]feel was the musician’s trap of only appreciating great musicianship, especially in terms of funky basslines.
The Burnout Paradise soundtrack opened my ears to music that was simpler but somehow hugely anthemic. There were two songs in particular, Finger on the Trigger by NHOI and Dead Living by Sugarcult which pretty much blasted away the ideas I used to have about what constituted a great song.

I'll also freely put my hand up as another one who doesn't "get" rap/hip-hop, though it doesn't get up my nose in the same way it used to. To be honest, most things don't get up my nose to the same extent they used to. There's still a number of very popular artists whose music I can't stand (The Beatles and David Bowie being two more controversial examples) but they don't inspire the same burning hatred that I reserve for, e.g., certain politicians!

Whilst this suggests I have, generally, mellowed, there are still a few artists and songs who/which bring to the "hurl the radio out the window" level of dislike. Par exemple:
Scouting for Girls
Snow Patrol
[i]Teenage Kicks [/i]by The Undertones

I also have it in for The Proclaimers, though it's not necessarily their fault: during a car journey back down south from the Peak District, the first CD the driver put on was [i]Sunshine on Leith: the best of the Proclaimers[/i]. 20-odd songs, and bugger me, every one of them was awful. I can't remember the last time I've been quite so glad to hear someone say, "oh, I think that's the end of that disc..."

Was a huge iron maiden fan for years, but bring your daughter to the slaughter & can I play with madness are atrocious.even Suggs would refuse them.
Anything by madonna. I'm not just saying that , and admire how clever she is, but her stuff is awful.
99% of disco or Motown is a huge turnoff for me .
Rapture by blondie , is one of the worst things I have heard.
More to follow

I have never been able to listen to The Smiths.
I get that the music is good but getting past Morrissey's voice? Nope, I have not been able to do that as yet.
Also, hoarse vocal-to the point of sounding like harsh static- metal. Cannot abide it. (Hoarse vocal metal, is that a new genre?)

Snow Patrol. Can't listen to 'em. I know , for me living where I do, they are considered the local team but if I think they are crap then they are. IMO.

When I was younger I could not abide "powerpop". Then in my thirties I started listening to some of it. (I blame my wife).

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1430996436' post='2766642']
I see no need for a lock unless it gets shouty? As long as everyone bears in mind that opinions are like arseholes (we all have one) and that mine is as valid as his, which is as valid as hers, which is as valid etc etc etc, it'll be fine. We're all grownups, right? :)
[/quote]

Fair enough Rich. Was a glib response to what[i] I [/i]read as a fairly incendiary statement. Not seriously expecting a lock - I think we all want as little censorship as possible here.
Cheers :)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1430996788' post='2766652']
As a side question -- a corollary to the original, if you will -- is there a genre of music that you used to hate, but have gradually grown to admire/like/love? Vice versa, do you now loathe something you used to adore?
For myself: back in my late teens, I could not [i]stand[/i] classical music. Or opera for that matter. Or anything even remotely C&W-ish. But nowadays, people like Shostakovich and Puccini and Brad Paisley are among the staples of my musical diet.
[/quote]

Happy, I have never gone off anything I used to like in the past. And that includes Freddie and the Dreamers, the Monkees and Status Quo.
But there is loads of stuff I like now that I wouldn't have I listened to in the past including Soul, Funk and C&W.
The more you listen to, the more there is to love! :-)

(Still not a fan of Disco or Opera though)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1430993295' post='2766595']
Yes, anything by this lot.
My Daughter was into them big time when she was 14-15.. luckily for me she is over it now.
I'd start to get aggressive and angry when I heard him start to scream or shout :(

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNf3EdqNx8[/media]
[/quote]

I saw these supporting Machine Head a few years back. I quite liked them. Lots of energy.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431005074' post='2766805']
+1. You can't understand what they're singing, the women are too fat and they never get their tits out. :mellow:
[/quote]

You've been going to the wrong operas.

It's funny, as some of you have mentioned, there is stuff I used to hate, genres even, that I now have grown to enjoy. I was, in my formative years a metal head and would not entertain anything else that didn't have thrashing guitars. As I've grown more maturer than wot I was, my taste has mellowed, or at least widened and I can now include Bluegrass, reggae, country, rap, classical and even opera as favourites. I don't think there is one genre that I could say I hate. Maybe jazz, but I like some jazz, so not completely. Jazz funk is a bit of a no no for me, but it's just certain songs that irk me.
There's some good ones listed that I had forgotten about. Rod Stewart is a particular hate of mine that I had probably hidden in some dark corner of my mind, locked safely away until someone mentioned him :(

Ellie Goulding/ Florence and the Machine

The guy shouting in the video above isn't being anything less than sincere although judging by the party being replicated in the film I wouldn't want to be his neighbour.

Ol' Flo and Ellie though are insincere and are trying to pass off lack of talent as a singing style- and that rubs me up the wrong way.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431005074' post='2766805']

+1. You can't understand what they're singing, the women are too fat and they never get their tits out. :mellow:
[/quote]

I for one don't want to see a fat woman getting her tits out, opera or not!

Boney M? I actively turn the radio UP if they come on! :)

UB40 I absolutely cannot stand. That geezer's whining vocal actually makes me angry.

And the Smiths have a similar effect. I don't like their music either - faux-fey, whining adolescent nonsense. I went to see them in 1984 and was appalled at the rip-off being perpetrated on their fans.

Also, anything where the singers just grunts along in a hoarse fashion (this may be death metal?). Sadly the music may be reasonably entertaining, with at least a massive guitar sound to eat your pork pies to - but the vocal kills it stone dead.

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1431010438' post='2766877']
Boney M? I actively turn the radio UP if they come on! :)

UB40 I absolutely cannot stand. That geezer's whining vocal actually makes me angry.

[/quote]

I agree about Boney M, same as ABBA, used to hate them when they were out, now love them!
Agree about UB40 apart from the first two albums which are immense!

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1431003771' post='2766787']

I saw these supporting Machine Head a few years back. I quite liked them. Lots of energy.
[/quote]

They sound like so many other bands out there at the moment. I think the bit when the singer throws up in the sink,sums it up really . They are bad, but what confuses me is the lack of hair and the thousands of tattoos to compensate. He looks really young too..;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1431013253' post='2766922']
They sound like so many other bands out there at the moment. [i]I think the bit when the singer throws up in the sink,sums it up really[/i] . They are bad, but what confuses me is the lack of hair and the thousands of tattoos to compensate. He looks really young too.. ;)
[/quote]

Brilliant.