Why become a member? ×

Led Zeppelin Celebration Day

police squad

I think it's awesome, and it frustrates me that Bob Plant won't get over himself and do some gigs with them.

Mind you. it was years ago now (scary to think!) so it makes you wonder if they could do it again. He should have struck while the iron was hot.

My only disappointment with the O2 show is the terrible bass mix...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1430298380' post='2759897']
Instead of doing some Zep gigs Planty's busy ruining their songs by doing 'versions' of them. A world music experiment too far.
[/quote]

Yeah...

[i]'I don't want to live in the past'[/i], said Plant, during a break from performing 40-year old songs with a band who's line-up simultaneously evokes the 1990s, 1950s and 1930's.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1430299442' post='2759915']

Yeah...

[i]'I don't want to live in the past'[/i], said Plant, during a break from performing 40-year old songs with a band who's line-up simultaneously evokes the 1990s, 1950s and 1930's.
[/quote]Well put. I have a lot of respect for him, he made a living after Led Zep but this new band is awful.
And before I climb down; Peter Gabriel far too busy for Genesis while he's reworking his old stuff!
I don't expect either of them to be committed but don't give us pi$$poor excuses why not.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1430309123' post='2760078']
You think Plant can still sing that high?!
[/quote]

As I recall Plant ducked out of most of the high notes in the film 'The Song Remained The Same' in 1973, so no chance these days. He now lacks power as well as range. IMO etc etc.

To be fair, there aren't many from that era who can still sing. Ian Gillan, probably my favourite male vocalist back in the day, is pitiful. Paul Rogers springs to mind as one of the few who can.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1430301282' post='2759935']
Rock n Roll sounded a bit weird (at the end). All a bit too low, so I picked up my guitar and they had detuned a whole step and a half
[/quote]

The whole gig is de-tuned from the very opening bars of "Good Times, Bad Times" is it not, at least as I recall?

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1430312895' post='2760138']
Really like Plant's current band/set.

In an era where, for many, money seems to the primary motivation for making music I admire Plant's stance on not opting to do the Zeppelin gig.

I'd say his legacy is such that he's more than earned the right to please himself a bit.
[/quote]

+1

I liked his new interpretations of the Zep songs he did in his set I saw last year in Wolverhampton. He's not trying to be a young rock god any more. He's doing those songs in a way that suits his current age and style. And I thought the band were great.

Mark you, I did wish once or twice during the gig that he would cut loose and rock out a bit more.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1430314227' post='2760161']
As I recall Plant ducked out of most of the high notes in the film 'The Song Remained The Same' in 1973, so no chance these days. He now lacks power as well as range. IMO etc etc.

To be fair, there aren't many from that era who can still sing. Ian Gillan, probably my favourite male vocalist back in the day, is pitiful. Paul Rogers springs to mind as one of the few who can.
[/quote]
as can Glenn Hughes (k*ob that he is) and Mr Coverdale

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1430430558' post='2761480']
as can Glenn Hughes (k*ob that he is) and Mr Coverdale
[/quote]

Hughes perhaps but Coverdale? Much as I like classic Whitesnake I think DC's voice is all but shot these days for live work. You can paper over the cracks to some extent in the studio but I noticed a few years back when WS did the support slot on a Def Leppard tour how much his voice had deteriorated, the backing band are singing as much of the material as Dave these days. A shame but we're all human. Saw UFO the other night and time has finally caught up with Phil Mogg too (though he did have a cold to be fair).

Sorry we're going way off topic here, but I just wanted to mention a couple of examples of singers whose voices really changed with age, but then sounded amazing in a different way. Johnny Cash and Levon Helm.

Levon Helm especially. His singing on Dirt Farmer was incredible.