Why become a member? ×

NOBD - USA Fullerton 1976 Precision Bass *AUDIO*

discreet

[b]NOBD - USA Fullerton 1976 Precision Bass *AUDIO* [/b][b]New Old Bass Day![/b]

[b]*[url="http://www.mediafire.com/listen/gb8bayu5b4ak2qq/Tears_of_a_Clown_BASS_COVER.wav"]AUDIO FILE[/url]* [/b]Me pretending to be Bob Babbit and failing. But hopefully you'll get some idea of how the bass sounds. :)

Long story short - I bought this bass brand new in 1976. I sold it four years ago to Rumple (Dave) of this parish when GAS got the better of me after spending far too much time on BassChat. I regretted selling it, to say the least. I have now been able to buy it back and I thank Dave for looking after it for me. :)

It is absolutely 100% stock and original - apart from the pickup foam, which I replaced a while back (I still have the original foam thanks to Dave, who lost it then found it again :D). The pickguard has been off once to replace the foam. That is all. The neck has never been off.

To say I'm glad to have it back would be an understatement. I know every single ding, dent, scratch and stain. So it turns out the only proper way to 'relic' a bass is to play it for decades... ;) I stuck a lit fag behind the E string in 1979 and accidentally scorched the headstock. If you had told me then there would come a time when you wouldn't be able to smoke while playing bass in public, I would have laughed in your face. I've been playing it this morning and it's like the return of an old friend. And I've given up smoking.

I've just done the 'bathroom scales' thing - it weighs [i]eight pounds[/i].

Yes, it's just wood, wire and plastic. Yes, I'm probably a sentimental fool. But I don't care...

What is this thing (below)? This bird-shaped burn or scorch-mark was on the bass when I bought it. It is UNDER the clear coat. I asked the shop guy what it was when I bought it and he said 'Er.. they've all got that - it proves it's a real Fender...' My 16-year-old self was happy with this explanation, but I always wondered why it didn't appear on other Fenders... for a while I was convinced every Fender I saw was a fake because it didn't have this mark on the back! :rolleyes:

You can see the original Olympic White colour through this forearm-contour wear (below) The creamy yellow colour is a result of the degradation of the clear coat. Underneath this, the original colour is just as white as when the bass was new.

Edited by discreet

Fantastic, Disney should make a film based on that story, with a slight deviation in plot relating to the 'What is that thing below" question (clearly the mark of a bass destined to one day be reunited with its original owner). Lovely looking bass as well

C

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1429878392' post='2755889']
Good on Dave for being such a fine custodian.
[/quote]

It's weird, as gorgeous as it was it never felt like it was truly mine, it always seemed like I was borrowing the bass. It's back where it belongs :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1429878870' post='2755894']
It's weird, as gorgeous as it was it never felt like it was truly mine, it always seemed like I was borrowing the bass. It's back where it belongs :)
[/quote]

Thanks, Dave. Is it because I kept referring to it as 'my' bass? :lol:

Edited by discreet