Why become a member? ×

NOBD - USA Fullerton 1976 Precision Bass *AUDIO*

discreet

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1429890037' post='2756084']
So what are you going to do with all the others now this fella has returned home?
[/quote]

Some had to be sold to get this one. I currently have this P, my Hayman 4040 and my Sire MM V7, that's it. Briefly toyed with the idea of selling the Hayman as I don't use it much, but I don't want another situation where I regret selling a bass! I still have GAS for a white Spector Euro, but that can wait!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429894338' post='2756154']
Briefly toyed with the idea of selling the Hayman as I don't use it much, but I don't want another situation where I regret selling a bass!
[/quote]

Just no. That is almost a custom job now!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1429896212' post='2756170']
Just no. That is almost a custom job now!
[/quote]

Well the restoration was extensive. And expensive! But it turns out I also have an emotional investment in it. :blink:
What the hell's happening to me? ...It must be the menopause. :D

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1429896525' post='2756173']
Nice one Mark I knew this was the "one" you were going to get really pleased for you :)
[/quote]

Thanks Paul. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1429897599' post='2756188']
...when can we expect the first gig with the reunited bass?
[/quote]

I'll let you know for sure. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429897267' post='2756183']
Well done Mark, great bass there, and nice bit of history/storyline to go with it. Full marks to Dave as well on this.
[/quote]

Thanks Lozz, I knew you'd appreciate a decent 70s P-Bass. ;)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429897267' post='2756183']
Well done Mark, great bass there, and nice bit of history/storyline to go with it. Full marks to Dave as well on this.
[/quote]

It's nice to part of the story, Marks bassline in Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag was a bit of a game changer for me so I was more then happy for him to have 'that bass' back.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1429900658' post='2756237']
It's nice to part of the story, Marks bassline in Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag was a bit of a game changer for me so I was more then happy for him to have 'that bass' back.
[/quote]

Quality bassline - remember that well when it came out. And all recorded with that beauty eh, awesome.

[quote name='simonlittle' timestamp='1429903366' post='2756292']
It's truly a thing of beauty. Great stories behind it too. Must be a real treat to have her home once again!
[/quote]

Thank you... it really is. Sounds silly but I'll sleep tonight! This bass had been with me all my adult life until I sold it. I really didn't think it was going to leave such a big P-shaped hole... total first-world stuff obviously and a bit embarrassing really, but hey. :blush:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1429909842' post='2756379']
Wow! One of the best precisions I've seen. Not a great lover of precisions but that's awesome. Excuse my ignorance , but is it s refin or has it aged into that fantastic yellow ? Now keep it ! ;)
[/quote]

Thanks Ray... it's not a refin. As I understand it, the creamy aging of the finish is due to degradation of the clear poly coat. Underneath this, the colour coat is as white as the day it was made. If you look at the picture of the forearm-contour wear, you can see this. :)

This aged vintage-white/cream finish is highly prized by collectors. If a 70s Fender bass were very white it would likely be a refin.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429910386' post='2756383']
Thanks Ray... it's not a refin. As I understand it, the creamy aging of the finish is due to degradation of the clear poly coat. Underneath this, the colour coat is as white as the day it was made. If you look at the picture of the forearm-contour wear, you can see this. :)

This aged vintage-white/cream finish is highly prized by collectors. If a 70s Fender bass were very white it would likely be a refin.
[/quote]

Yep, my old 77 Precision also went this colour. I was horrified when someone said to me they could wash it off and get it back to white again.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1429955936' post='2756632']
So... any trades? ;) :lol:
[/quote]

Yes - a 1957 Blonde/Maple. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1429956291' post='2756641']
I was horrified when someone said to me they could wash it off and get it back to white again.
[/quote]

Good grief. The very definition of missing the point! :blink:

What would you use to clean the body (without disturbing the delicious custardiness)? And conversely, how would you do some stain removal? Mine has a body which is a lovely (?) reddish colour on the back after spending over a decade in its (red plush-lined) case when I was on my bass sabbatical :o

Edited by ras52

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1429961860' post='2756723']
What would you use to clean the body (without disturbing the delicious custardiness)?
[/quote]

I suppose you could give it a quick wipe over with a [i]very [/i]mild detergent solution just to get the clag and goit off it. But clag and goit are where its at as far as I'm concerned... pull through with oily rag..? :)