Why become a member? ×

I think i want a 'modern' bass

geoham

I've been a Fender guy for as long as I can remember. My two gigging basses are a P and a J, both with vintage voiced pick-ups and flatwound strings. Between them, i can cover all bases in both my originals and function band. In the past I've had low(ish) end modern basses - Ibanez ATK and Soundgear - but i was never able to get on with them. I've had little GAS for quite some time, except now and then I want a 2nd J to out roundwounds on to. That was until I went to the London Bass Show. I tried out some amps at the TC Electronic stand using a wonderful bass - I think it was an MTB (no idea what model). It felt delightful, really low action, straight neck and light as a feather. The sound was clear and punchy. I remember it being particularly responsive to changes in my playing dynamics. I never understood the attraction of modern 'boutique' type basses before, but I was truly blown away.

I checked out MTD, and their US built models are WAY out of my price range, but I could perhaps stretch to one of their Kingston models (Which are still quite expensive!). I assume the bass I tried would have been a US one, but will be happy to be proved wrong!

I have a couple of questions - does anyone know exactly what TC Electronic had on their stand? Also, can anyone recommend any good (but wonderful!) modern basses?

Thanks,

George

i really am not just saying this because i own one, but there is no doubt in my mind the top of the list at that price range is a Lakland Skyline 55-02. in my opinion they are a way better instrument than an overseas MTD. Hugely versatile, can do a jazz a pbass, a stingray (not exactly for the trained ear i might add) but its not far off.

the great thing about the 55-02 skylines is that they use the same BART/or LH3 preamp and pickups depending what year, as the USA models. if you still want classic tones but also want to get a bit modern, a Lakland seems to make sense.

if anyone can chime in and mention a better more versatile bass, I'm all ears. ;)

Edited by bubinga5

I think I'm right in saying that the Lakland Skylines are built by Cort who make some very nice instruments for other brands as well as under their own name. Your description of 'modern' to me suggests active preamp (though it's nice to be able to go passive when you want). I'm pretty certain the G&L Tribute series come from the Cort factory and the L-2000 has plenty of tonal options available (active/passive, series/parallel, preamp treble boost). Looks like you're going to have to demo quite a few basses!

Have you considered something like the Aguilar Tone Hammer pre amp or a similar outboard unit such as a Basswitch? These might offer the sound without changing weapon - unless you just wanna get a new bass in the arsenal :)

Laklands are great basses and the 5502 is a great choice, or the 5501 which come up relatively cheap on here.

I'm awaiting delivery of the Sire Marcus Miller via Thomann, the preamp in that pays a nod to modern vibes apparently and have a passive back up with tone too...they seem to have a good reputation on here and they cost less than half the price of a Lakland. Never had a bad Lakland though :)

+1 for the Lakland 55-02, a very versatile and easy-to-play bass. Be aware it's 35" scale though - but I think the MTDs are too, come to think of it. I have (and have had) a few Laklands, and my only recommendation with the Skyline range is that IMHO the earlier Korean made ones are better than the current Indonesian made models. Needless to say, the USA-made equivalent, the 55-94, is a step up in every way, including price.

There's a natural ash 55-14 on eBay at the moment (that's the same as the USA-made 55-94, but with less finish options) that's currenly less than £900, which is a steal, if you have the budget:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201325754461?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As an alternative, I also have an Ibanez BTB Prestige, an earlier Japanese made one, which was well under a grand and is also astonishingly good. Worth checking out.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1428877002' post='2745640']
I think I'm right in saying that the Lakland Skylines are built by Cort who make some very nice instruments for other brands as well as under their own name. Your description of 'modern' to me suggests active preamp (though it's nice to be able to go passive when you want). I'm pretty certain the G&L Tribute series come from the Cort factory and the L-2000 has plenty of tonal options available (active/passive, series/parallel, preamp treble boost). Looks like you're going to have to demo quite a few basses!
[/quote]

I'm feeling like adding a more modern bass too.
The Cort Arona looks like my kind of bag . According to the reviews I've been reading they only weigh between 7.5 - 8lbs, and that's the 5 string! (in the open pore swamp ash that is, not sure what the alder would weigh in at).
Designed in collaboration with Sandberg, same story with Delano regarding it's pickups. Looks great, punchy as hell with it's MM/J config, from the vids I've seen. Boom!
Active / passive switching too, all for less than 500 quid:
http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/arona4

Edited by miles'tone

If that was the best bass you've ever played and sounds better than your current basses then get one. Whatever it was!

But I don't see the point of torturing yourself like this.

As you've already said, another J bass (Fender/Lakland/Lull) with round wounds would add a lot to your sound. All for a lot less than half the price of a US MTD.

How about a 5 string bass this time?

keep an eye out for mtd grendel or bass centre stadium basses,czech made with bartolini pickups and preamp and a wenge fret board
i own a bass centre stadium bass and its brilliant really light weight and very punchy sounding, i love the neck on it so easy to play and it has a hipshot bridge and schaller tuners cant go wrong.
plus they dont seem to cost a fortune when they come up for sale.

Edited by stu_g

MTD Kingstons are brilliant basses - I have an AG5 and it is exactly as you describe: delightful, really low action, straight neck and light as a feather. It also sounds huge, and has an amazingly wide range of tones on tap (Bartolini soapbars, 3-band eq, active/passive switching) - despite its gospel/R&B/funk pedigree it can do anything and everything from old-school thump to super hi-fi and the grindiest metal. And to cap it all the asymmetrical neck is incredibly easy to play - keeps your thumb really nicely on the back of the neck, where it should be, without you even having to think about 'correct' finger positioning. And at a fraction of the price of the USA range, the quality of these basses is astonishing. Laklands are very nice, to be sure, but MTDs are the real deal if you are hankering for a proper modern bass!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1428910796' post='2745732']
+1 for the Lakland 55-02, a very versatile and easy-to-play bass. Be aware it's 35" scale though - but I think the MTDs are too, come to think of it. I have (and have had) a few Laklands, and my only recommendation with the Skyline range is that IMHO the earlier Korean made ones are better than the current Indonesian made models. Needless to say, the USA-made equivalent, the 55-94, is a step up in every way, including price.

There's a natural ash 55-14 on eBay at the moment (that's the same as the USA-made 55-94, but with less finish options) that's currenly less than £900, which is a steal, if you have the budget:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201325754461?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

As an alternative, I also have an Ibanez BTB Prestige, an earlier Japanese made one, which was well under a grand and is also astonishingly good. Worth checking out.
[/quote]im betting knowone would notice a Lakland 55-02 is a 35" scale if you didn't tell them. I've been playing 34" scale basses for 20 years and i didn't notice.. the MTD's are 35" but have 24 frets, and makes them more of a stretch. also i have to disagree, the Indonesian made 55's are PLEKed, the Korean models are not. love the MTD's, especially the Z, but Lakland USA pickups and guts are in a different league to the pre and pickups in an MTD. its what they put in there £3000 + instruments. ohh I've come over all fan boyish.! :lol:

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1428868692' post='2745539']
I checked out MTD, and their US built models are WAY out of my price range, but I could perhaps stretch to one of their Kingston models (Which are still quite expensive!). I assume the bass I tried would have been a US one, but will be happy to be proved wrong!
[/quote]
I very much doubt that TC would have a USA MTD as their punters' knockabout bass at the London Bass Show - far too expensive for that! Sadly I wasn't there but would be interested to know the answer as well.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428938363' post='2746143']
I don't know about modern basses. I see lots of players using the same basses as me but sounding totally modern.

I wish I knew how they did that.
[/quote]i think you probably do sound modern. but people have a knack of knocking themselves. i did it for years.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1428938363' post='2746143']
I don't know about modern basses. I see lots of players using the same basses as me but sounding totally modern.

I wish I knew how they did that.
[/quote]

Solo the bridge PU and roll back the tone.. 😃

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1428931853' post='2746035']
the MTD's are 35" but have 24 frets, and makes them more of a stretch.
[/quote]

I find that when playing an 88 key piano vs a 74 key piano. Those extra notes make playing everything more of a stretch...

Thanks for the advice guys. I might have convinced the wife to buy me one of the new Sire Marcus Miller basses, primarily to give me a jazz I can out rounds on. They seem to get great reviews for not a lot of cash. The Lakland Skylines are also appealling. If there is anywhere in Central Scotland I can try an MTB Kingston and it's anything like what I tried in London, I may even push the boat out for one of them. When my originals band ever earn the millions my singer is promising, I'll buy a US MTB!

Cheers,

George

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1428952683' post='2746400']
I find that when playing an 88 key piano vs a 74 key piano. Those extra notes make playing everything more of a stretch...
[/quote]im not sure you can compare the two instruments in the way your body is positioned to the instrument. and you must mean 76 key.?.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1428916495' post='2745805']
I'm feeling like adding a more modern bass too.
The Cort Arona looks like my kind of bag . According to the reviews I've been reading they only weigh between 7.5 - 8lbs, and that's the 5 string! (in the open pore swamp ash that is, not sure what the alder would weigh in at).
Designed in collaboration with Sandberg, same story with Delano regarding it's pickups. Looks great, punchy as hell with it's MM/J config, from the vids I've seen. Boom!
Active / passive switching too, all for less than 500 quid:
[url="http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/arona4"]http://www.cortguita.../product/arona4[/url]
[/quote]
I used to have a Cort Arona. Great basses and I played a trick on Drew from Manchestre Bass lounge when I took it show him. Covered the headstock up and asked him what it was.
"A Sandberg", was his reply. When all said and done it's a Sandberg Basic to all intents and purposes.
Also had 3 G&L L2500's. They are the Swiss Army Knife of Basses. So many different settings/tones you can't go wrong and also made by Cort.
Also had an MTD and if you liked the feel of that you might not get on with a Lakland. Don't know what it is about Lakland necks, they just don't do it for me but the MTD neck is superb.