Why become a member? ×

Gigging A 70's Bass

spongebob

I've been window-shopping, and a 70's bass in my dream model has popped up on my radar at a decent price.

Thing is, I'm thinking electrical issues, plus a million other things.....

But how giggable is a 40-year old bass? I'd love a YOB bass - but it would mean me trading or selling my 2014 to fund it......I've had vintage before and (loved and foolishly) sold them, but never had one as my only bass...which this would mean. :o

Edited by spongebob

Assuming it's in decent playable condition I don't see how it would be any less giggable than a new(er) instrument - an old proven bass might be a better bet than a new and relatively unproven bass when it's the only instrument you own.

A '74 Ric 4001. My dream bass - had them before - my never my YOB.

I've had a '77 and a '78, and numerous 4003/04, but I'm current a mono-bass owner, and kind of would like to stay that way! The older stuff before always had a back-up.

It's the idea of sticking with an 'old' instrument - never done that before with no safety net! :)

My gigging bass is my 78 Precision. I had the pots and jack replaced - kept the working originals - as wanted some newer ones that I would have a bit more faith in, simply as they were new, so knew they`d be unlikely to fail. But other than that, no problems gigging a 70s bass. It already has knocks/genuine road-wear on it so I`m not precious about dinging it, and like JapanAxe I bought it to gig it. It`s such a lumpy bit of kit it would take some serious intent to damage it, plus unless I`m playing it it stays in its hardcase at gigs anyway.

I was going to say you should have no issues with gigging a 70s bass...
...but a RIC?? Oh no, no, no good at all. It will fail on you for sure! It'll fall apart after five minutes!

Not really - it'll be fine. Don't worry about it. ;)
The issue is not about gigging the bass, it's about being a little bit more vigilant re theft prevention, imho.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428339600' post='2740402']
I was going to say you should have no issues with gigging a 70s bass...
...but a RIC?? Oh no, no, no good at all. It will fail on you for sure! It'll fall apart after five minutes!

Not really - it'll be fine. Don't worry about it. ;)
The issue is not about gigging the bass, it's about being a little bit more vigilant re theft prevention, imho.
[/quote]

I've had more attention at gigs with my Precision than I ever had with my Ric 4003's before - Fender's seem to be a magnet for idiots around here!

I gig my 1970 P, it's already had it's fair share of knocks so nothing there for me to worry about. Unlike a new bass.
As far as running repairs I just had the pickups rewired (not rewound) as one of the wires had come off one of the coils.
I also had a new nut cut when I bought it and had the input jack replaced.. it's a few years away from a re-fret, other than that it's been good to go.

I don't gig my more valuable vintage instruments, not because of concerns about reliability but purely through fear of theft and/or drunken punters causing damage.

My main gigging basses are G&L's from the 80's.

Over the last couple of years I've enjoyed rehearsing with a 60's and a couple of 70 P basses, with no issues.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1428344673' post='2740446']
Over the last couple of years I've enjoyed rehearsing with a 60's and a couple of 70 P basses, with no issues.
[/quote]

Off-topic briefly, I enjoyed playing your 66 P Gary... ooh, yeah. :gas:

Edited by discreet

Electrical issues are nothing to worry about, very little to fail mid-gig.

As Discreet says - biggest issue (if at all) is theft. Even the £11k Fodera is replaceable with an identical model but a dream vintage instrument will be unique.

Personally, I'd be careful not to be blinded by the whole 'YOB' route. It's a nice romantic sentiment, but you want a great instrument, and the best one out there might not be made the exact year you were born.

Edited by Drax

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1428344673' post='2740446']
I don't gig my more valuable vintage instruments, not because of concerns about reliability but purely through fear of theft and/or drunken punters causing damage.

My main gigging basses are G&L's from the 80's
[/quote]

This is my main concern. Depends on how replaceable your YOB bass would be. I also use a mid 80s G&L but am increasingly aware of how would I find another one it cane to grief.

There will be no issues. Buy it and gig it. My 79 Stingray and my 68 Mustang have been, and are, gigged regularly and have never had a problem,

In fact I've never had a failure with any bass on a gig or seen someone else have a failure come to think about it.