Why become a member? ×

Looking to get into Pino's playing

Funky Dunky

Now here's a bassist who gets bassists excited. What do you recommend, and/or what is considered his finest work?

I've heard his fretless work on the Paul Young album, and while I agree it's beautifully played and extremely tasteful, it's not my cuppa *awaits inevitable backlash*.

While we're at it, what are BCers thoughts on his custom Fender Precision? There is a concensus that it's horribly overpriced - why do you think it overpriced? What could you have for the same money? (These are genuine questions btw, I'm not challenging anyone's opinion). I have only watched some demos on YouTube but it sounds like an incredibly versatile P bass which has a superb range of tones, all of which struck me as quality.

£3k seems like an insane amount of money to me, but would I buy it if I were a rich man? Badabadabadabadeebedeebada? Yeah, I think I maybe would, and not only am I not a fan of signature models (be yourself and all that) but I don't even think it looks nice! I would change the pickguard for starters! But yeah, those tones? I'm a fan of the Precision tone and that's one of the best. It even does the Funk Machine tone brilliantly.

Anyone own one/played one? What do you think?

Thanks.

Edited by Funky Dunky

If I had £3K to spend on a bass it would be an early 60s P or a Wal. I agree with those who think CS overpriced.
I had cause to learn John Mayer's [i]Who Did You Think I Was[/i] a while back and that is one great bass line and great fun to play, too. :)

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1427745954' post='2733860']
Right, yes, a Wal. I'll give you that. I'd probably rather take the Wal. If I have that money I can afford a decent chiropractor ;-)
[/quote]

Just hire someone to play it for you. ;)
Edit: My rates are very reasonable.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1427744827' post='2733829']
Now here's a bassist who gets bassists excited. What do you recommend, and/or what is considered his finest work?
[/quote]

Some favourites of mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlhQ3iC54QM

...originally from Numan's "I Assassin", which is all Pino. And here he is with Nine Inch Nails recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBiYFoHsOg

And with John Mayer, and as always check out his original Grolsch bottle washer straplocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg

I love his work with Paul Young, but his work with John Mayer, especially on Continuum, and fusion outfit PSP is equally impressive.

Every opinion I've ever read of the CS sig bass have positively glowed. However, the price tag does seem excessive given the prices for pre CBS ones not being masses more, or even less for refins as mentioned above.

Coincidentally I've been playing along to Numans 'I, assassin' lately.
I'm very on and off with my fretless but I bought an acoustic fretless recent so I can just grab it when I have a minute.
Not quite mastered the Partridge dance while playing 'Chameleons yet though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427745661' post='2733850']
If I had £3K to spend on a bass it would be an early 60s P or a Wal. I agree with those who think CS overpriced.
I had cause to learn John Mayer's [i]Who Did You Think I Was[/i] a while back and that is one great bass line and great fun to play, too. :)
[/quote]

yes this is a very good track

but imho hes very overrated and cant rock a leather cat suit like suzi quattro

Having played a Pino Sig Precision, it was easily the best Precision I`ve played. But for me the Road Worn Precisions aren`t that far behind, and they`re a third of the price. Yes the Pino is better but I didn`t think it was three times better.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1427817200' post='2734607']
Having played a Pino Sig Precision, it was easily the best Precision I`ve played. But for me the Road Worn Precisions aren`t that far behind, and they`re a third of the price. Yes the Pino is better but I didn`t think it was three times better.
[/quote]The law of diminishing returns at work as ever and the RWs are a nice bit of well priced kit. However, I do wonder how much the CS price is bumped because of the Pino endorsement?